Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASR on / off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASR on / off?

if have a 98 z a4 with ASR, i know its a sort of traction control, but what exactly does it do, does it hurt milage? should i drive with it on/off? should i race with it on/off? and i asume it will help in rain right?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

I've read some posts about it, and I'm begining to wonder if the ASR is good for anything at all.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:32 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the track, leave it OFF.
For daily driving it's up to you.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Launching!

I've gotten into the habit of turning it off everytime i start up the car. Only time i leave it on is for those rare occasions i drive in the rain. When you do anything related to accelerating hard, keep it off.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I turn mine off when i'm at the track, or just having a little fun around town

Day to day though, I just leave it on.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ASR = Acceleration Slip Regulator (if memory serves). Bottom line is that it IS traction control. It's a MUST that you turn it off at the track or when racing. It's your call when daily driving. I always turned it off because I want complete control of my vehicle. I don't want to be in the middle of an intersection with a truck coming at me and the ASR kicks on.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

I'm sorry, this is off topic, but your avatar is hilarious Unit!
Old 01-15-2004, 02:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
ASR = Acceleration Slip Regulator (if memory serves).
I think it's Regulation. Either way, I was annoyed this morning with my g/f's 03 GAGT. It has TCS, and it wouldn't let me get through the nasty snow in the middle of an intersection. It's annoying sometime, but saves you at others.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

I know they make an aftermarket switch that will disable the ASR when you start the car, and then you can press the button to turn it on, basically just reversing the way it works now. That way, if you're at the track and you're waiting to run and you shut down, you can't forget to turn ASR off because it will automatically be disabled when you start back up. Damn, that was wordy.

ASR definitely will not hurt mileage. It's not putting any kind of drag on the system. If anything, it will save gas, because it won't let the tires go 60mph when you're just sitting still. I've used the ASR in the snow, and it worked quite well. It knows better than me how much throttle to give to keep the wheels from slipping. But on a nice sunny day, that's the first button I press after starting the car.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Teching In

well thanks guys, sounds like ill only be using it in the rain etc.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think that its useful for much more than that.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like a couple others, i turn it off as soon as i get in the car. i dont like it when it pushes the throttle up into my foot and tries to get me to let up. thats crap. i have noticed that it dont really even work when you slide sideways at all. it only kicks on when your wheels spin a certain amount. it kicks on way too late if you slide in the snow.(or maybe just mine is a p.o.s.) by that time you need to throttle to help steer the rear end out of a big fishtale, or to spin the tires till the snow under them melts and you can get some kind of traction. i hate snow!!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it wuz anti slip regulator, but it shouldnt be on over 40mph, good for snow or slippery surfaces when pulling from a stop, but has anybody went into a slide and nailed there breaks or completly let off the throttle, then you know that you wont be able to recover, thats what will happen if the asr is on and you get the back end loose going a good speed, there has been quite a few accidents where the asr was the reason of a spin out, I allways leave mine off and would reccomend the same unless needed,
Old 01-19-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Assassin
I thought it wuz anti slip regulator, but it shouldnt be on over 40mph, good for snow or slippery surfaces when pulling from a stop, but has anybody went into a slide and nailed there breaks or completly let off the throttle, then you know that you wont be able to recover, thats what will happen if the asr is on and you get the back end loose going a good speed, there has been quite a few accidents where the asr was the reason of a spin out, I allways leave mine off and would reccomend the same unless needed,
Tell me more. I went out once last winter on some icy stopped
roads, not to bad but probably shouldn't have. Anyway I can down
an on-ramp ASR ON, as soon as I started to merge littley on the gas
the tail come around, I let off and tried to correct it slowly, it responded for
half a second, then got completely away from me, the way it originally
tried to go, did a 180 and put it
into the divider. I had about 150 Lbs of salt in the hatch and thought the
weight made it snap around on me.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see what youre all saying about powering through a slide, but I've been in the same situation in the snow, with the TCS ON, and all I do is keep my foot in it, steer into the slide and the car was fine... You CANT defy physics and I would guarantee you that if you didnt have it you would have slid and spun anyway. Just because you spin out is not the computer's fault ... just my $0.02
Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i always keep mine off... i just dont like the feeling of the car telling me when im overdriving it...plus as mentioned it can be a bit dangerous when it does something unexpected.

...also its really embarrasing when you pull through the water box and try to burn out with it on....
Old 01-19-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
i always keep mine off... i just dont like the feeling of the car telling me when im overdriving it...plus as mentioned it can be a bit dangerous when it does something unexpected.

...also its really embarrasing when you pull through the water box and try to burn out with it on....
I totally agree, it's happened to me at the track too. Luckily, I went on a day when there were about 20-30 people there.