New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im kinda surprised noone has suggested open headers!? call me old school or just stupid but i like the pure unmolested sound of an all American V8! Dont get me wrong i understand the legallity of it, im just talking sound..................just nasty!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Defined1983
SLP Loudmouth hands down
So true
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk489
Im kinda surprised noone has suggested open headers!? call me old school or just stupid but i like the pure unmolested sound of an all American V8! Dont get me wrong i understand the legallity of it, im just talking sound..................just nasty!
Did that once, drove for about 2 hours on the interstate and I couldn't hear anything for about a day afterwards. I think everyone should do it once, just so they can say they did, but as anything but a "trailer it to the track" drag car, it's just intolerable.

Aside from boom tubes (which I'd have if WV wasn't so **** **** about exhaust exit locations), I haven't heard a setup I like more than my current one - 3" true duals with an x, no cats, and bullets dumped at the axle. Most of the catbacks I've heard either sound like boats or are too quiet.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Teching In

I really have nothing to compare to but my SLP LM is pretty nice IMO. It came on the car and sounds good enough for me. Yes it is loud, yes it will wake your neighbors, yes adding LT and having no cats makes it LOUDER. As for the raspy, I can't say I notice it, but again I don't have anything to compare it to. Everyone on my block knows when I leave for work in the morning. But I wouldn't change it since its already on there, too much to spend elsewhere. Plus, when I hit 6th gear it is pretty tolerable, at least its more quiet than my Jeep with 33's and wind noise. If I didn't have it and I would probably go with the GMMG, but I'd have to hear it in person first.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Listening to various sound clips, I think the GMMG sounds the best, not super loud, but not overly quiet, either. I think it's more of a matter of personal preference when it comes to what sounds best. But the golden rule still stands: do your research before you buy!

Quick Reply: best exhaust?