New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie mod mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009 | 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Going through 3 ferno hoses at home depot before decided to say, man i just wasted $30
Old 12-22-2009 | 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Have yet to run the car since install but I have a feeling my first is going to be my typhoon intake...hopefully ill eat my words though .
Old 12-25-2009 | 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Good thread..
Old 12-25-2009 | 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

#1 not getting on this site sooner. *phuk ls1.com* JMO
#2 buying SLP LT's and then praying over every speedbump.
#3 NOT buying the pacesetter and going TD * although i love my loudmouth*
#4 letting ther people drive my car and then commin back to ahve to build the tranny.
** THANK YOU JOEY AT TICK PERFORMANCE!!!!**
not keeping stock parts that i was sure at the time were not worth shat...turned out i was wrong.
Old 01-01-2010 | 10:41 AM
Launching!

Bump For A New Year !

Buying a cags switch instead of just deleting it out in a tune
Buying a car cover from "Corvette garage" that had no soft face lining the seams rubbed through the clear coat at various points and the car cover has left small scratches,
I started using a couple of blankets between my paint and the cover for now

Paying too much for a set of heavy azz stainless steel headers and B&B catback

Could of had a custom set of lightweight (aluminum ) headers and catback welded up and just bought a couple of bullet mufflers and ran them straight out the back for the same price.

Would have saved some weight

By the way you can ceramic coat exhaust parts yourself or anything else you wish to protect from heat soak

The parts will self cure when the headers/exhaust/other reach full operating temp.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-p...-coatings.html

Cheerz Bon !

Last edited by vette0009; 01-01-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: My link
Old 01-05-2010 | 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

1-not finding this site sooner
2-buying pos flowtech headers
3-buying predator tuner that i don't use anymore
4-buying tci torque converter
5-overtightening intake manifold bolts
6-painting interior plastics stupid colors just to end up stripping them and painting black again
7-not having the patience to wait longer and buy top of the line parts so i wouldn't have to redo stuff
8-modding my car to begin with, cause now im broke and i miss how smoooooth it was stock... but feels good to see all the imports/mustangs and occasional f-body brothers in rear view mirror.

But if i had to do it all over again i would; but i would have spent much less and be a lot faster. The wealth of knowledge and understanding i have gained is priceless.
Old 02-10-2010 | 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ruthusk8r
Going through 3 ferno hoses at home depot before decided to say, man i just wasted $30
Going through 2 and saying forget it...
Old 02-13-2010 | 12:11 AM
Teching In

Made the mistake of changing my stock steering wheel to a Grant. Did not reaserch, and now have an issue with battery being drained. I have been told this has somthing to do with removing the airbag. This was before, I found LS1TECH. Anybody else make this mistake? Any threads on how to fix? Thanks newbie.
Old 02-13-2010 | 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

Mine was buying intake/catback and then going straight to the cam. I didn't finish the exhaust, and I should have went with a stall before anything. I'm slowly correcting this mistake now.
Old 02-13-2010 | 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kurz28
Made the mistake of changing my stock steering wheel to a Grant. Did not reaserch, and now have an issue with battery being drained. I have been told this has somthing to do with removing the airbag. This was before, I found LS1TECH. Anybody else make this mistake? Any threads on how to fix? Thanks newbie.
No ****??????
YOU just taught ME something, hehe holy crap-I had the same issue.
We think (thought) it was cause of the battery relocation. We put in a voltage regulator and the problem went away. Maybe that would work for you-Is it draining when running or when the car is off?
Old 02-14-2010 | 08:59 PM
Teching In

It`s a slow draw when the car is parked for awhile. I changed out the battery the first time it happened. Drove it two days, then parked it for a week. Dead battery by the weekend. Has to be steering wheel change, no other mods. Thanks for the advice. Are you sure the voltage reg cured it? Or did you also install a battery shut off when you relocated. Sorry about highjacking this thread, but this is the first response I`ve had to my problem.
Old 02-14-2010 | 10:18 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

I have my driver's side Air Bag unplugged and have had no problems....

Maybe it has something to do with your Horn since that is a Circuit that has constant power..
Old 02-15-2010 | 01:30 AM
On The Tree

i love my exhaust, but if there was one thing...

buying the loudmouth when the tsp true duels where about the same price.
Old 02-15-2010 | 02:47 AM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Summit X-pipe kit is ALOT cheaper.
Old 02-16-2010 | 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightHawk
Ditto. I have a Flowmaster 80 series sitting in my storage, which I bought before I knew how crappy they were on these cars...at least I found out before I put the damn thing on.

oh, yeah...porting my MAF is a big one.

Other than that, this site has saved me from doing some stupid things performance-wise and taste-wise
Noticed this guy ^^^^ is from Sarasota. I was born in Bradenton

Anyway, my biggest mistake is not joining this website sooner! There's tons of good information and people here!!
Old 02-16-2010 | 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Lets see here.

On the LT1 car:

Homeported throttle body (yeah I know, shut up )

Pacesetter longtubes - most people are lucky with these, I wasn't. Spent countless hours fixing leaks and trying to get the collectors to seal, in the end, I just had them welded on. Tired of dealing with it.

LS1 car

Poly/poly LCAs - want to make your ride harsher and deal with squeaks every 2-3 months when the grease runs out (high quality grease here too)? Also, the only way I could get the bolts to stay tight was with red loc-tite. Oh and lets not forget the reduced handling because the axle can't move around as much. Pass. - Replaced with 1LE Moog bushings in a stock LCA - Perfect.

Quick Performance 9" w/ 4.11s and truetrac - Had to grind down my panhard bar bushings to get it to fit, took a while to get shipped to my house, whenever I drove it, it sounded like someone had a dremel on high speed next to my ear. Thank god I got most of my money back for that POS. They wouldn't even pay to have it fixed (I didn't screw it up, THEY did). Nor did they pay for the return shipping. I hope they go out of business.

Buying a used 10 bolt off of someone on this board instead of fixing the one I had - Found out later it was run dry and left to sit for a year. All bearings were toast, howls like a bitch. Getting it fixed as we speak. But hey, atleast it looks good, he painted it gloss black and added a chrome cover....

Lou's short stick - Again, most people like this, but it's not for me. Couldn't hit third if I tried, went back to the stock stick that day. No need for a 6" curved shifter stick. Pass.

However I'll add a section - Mods I really liked:

Aeroforce gauge - I can monitor everything the PCM sees, and get an instant mileage readout. Looks great, works great. No complaints.

ASP underdrive pulley - Kind of a pain to install, made the steering a little harder (I thought stock was a little too easy to turn anyway). Saw more power and 1-1.5 mpg out of this one. Engine revs easier, etc.

Aftermarket Hurst shifter - lifetime warranty, shifts great, and has bump stops. Can't complain there.

Professionally ported throttle body and FTRA - just awesome. More power, more throttle response, just better.

/rant.

Last edited by Ironxcross; 02-16-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2010 | 06:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Mine would be buying the 80 series flowmaster instead of GMMG or True Duals.
Very true I i bought GMMG the first time and I'm 100% satisfied!
Old 02-16-2010 | 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by the_merv
Summit X-pipe kit is ALOT cheaper.
how in the world do you fit a true daul X-pipe under a f-body???
Old 02-17-2010 | 04:13 AM
TECH Regular

not much yet experienced with my new F-body. (only had it 2-weeks lol). Almost feel into the SLP headers off the bat along with a brand new LS6 mani but I read LS1tech.com lol....

but a newbie mod mistakes i've made with my '06 S/C Grand Prix is using street tires at the strip...

for some odd reason, I still do it Also throwing 20" rims on it and thinkin' I'm really gonna get decent drag times out of the W-body.
Old 03-09-2010 | 06:49 PM
Launching!

new to the board here. have been a long time member of nastyz28.com, a great board for 2nd gen owners. which leads to my noob mistake, nursing along a 79 camaro for years instead of buying a ls1 camaro. just bought an 02 z28 w/ 29k miles and this thing is amazing. much nicer ride than the 79, faster, and has a/c! the 02 cost me 11k, and i had about 8k in the 79. the 02 is mint while the 79 was ok. vintage is cool, but the new technology rocks!

Quick Reply: newbie mod mistakes