New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie mod mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no real mod mistakes as i'm still pretty much stock besides a slp lid and !cags. but i'll list my newbie mistakes.

taking it to the dealer i bought it from for a oil change, ****** came back with bent fender tabs. i didnt even realize it until i noticed the missing paint where the door was scraping the fender.

getting charged 80 bucks for fluid swap in the tranny (m6) and the rear end at a jiffy lube when i could have and should have done it myself for alot less. i figured it would cost a little, but man i got raped.

getting a mti lid because it was clear and looked 'cool'.

being ram air ws6 obsessed and looking over alot of nice z28s that were a BUNCH cheaper.

and a total dumbass mistake, dont forget to make sure your wipers are down before opening your hood...
Old 09-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jeffws6
If I could do it again I absolutely would not touch the car...... Leave it totally stock. Ya sure I make more power and its fast as hell, but I now have an engine that is embarising to listen to..... Sounds like a sewing machine. It also smokes and uses oil like crazy. I put a clutch and rear in it and soon after fried my tranny. The car just sits there with all theese upgrades and I hate it, hate it, hate it. Other things too that I dont like are whinny *** 4.11's and a cam that surges even after a good tune. Ya beleive me hind sight is 20-20. I would never ruin a perfectly good car again....... what a waste of money
I agree, thats one reason why I sold mine to get another one, same year, options, only a different color and lower miles. It will stay stock and I am 100% fine with that. I'd rather spend the money toward getting; another car, another house, ladies, etc...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

add me to the list of people who got flowmasters. id say that and the slp mass air flow sensor were my 2 biggest newbie mistakes
Old 09-07-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jeffws6
If I could do it again I absolutely would not touch the car...... Leave it totally stock. Ya sure I make more power and its fast as hell, but I now have an engine that is embarising to listen to..... Sounds like a sewing machine. It also smokes and uses oil like crazy. I put a clutch and rear in it and soon after fried my tranny. The car just sits there with all theese upgrades and I hate it, hate it, hate it. Other things too that I dont like are whinny *** 4.11's and a cam that surges even after a good tune. Ya beleive me hind sight is 20-20. I would never ruin a perfectly good car again....... what a waste of money
Sorry for your problems dude but a couple of points, I have 4.10's in the stock 10 bolt(cant afford a 12 bolt or 8.8 now 0), almost 15k with 60 plus passes and still as quiet as the day they were installed,don't know who did your tune but with my cam FMS F11 228/230-575-597+4-112 my car does not surge at all!(tuned by FMS) Does not use even 1/4 qt between oil changes(Mobil OW40 syn) 3K intervals. On a crappy 60 ft(2.0) it runs 12.4's at 117 and is as reliable as the sun every day. Just added a 100 shot of spray God I love these motors!!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
My biggest mistake was buying a F-body and telling myself I was going to keep it stock!!!!
And I believe I heard something about a particular blue vette also staying stock.......

You mean’t stock internals right…
Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

This old bastard is absolutely correct. A lot of these more involved mods are going to be dependent upon the quality of the install. It is a proven fact that you can have some ridiculous cams in these cars and still idle perfectly with the A/C on and retain wonderful driving characteristics---- with the right tune. Gear noise can vary from brand to brand, but it is mostly dependent on the manner in which the differential is set up. If you don't know what you're doing, or you pay people without the right skills to do things for you, I think you could probably screw just about anything up. This is not exclusive to your car.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BadAndy
This old bastard is absolutely correct.
And what/who old bastard are you speaking of Andrew......
Old 09-07-2004, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss rally red
And what/who old bastard are you speaking of Andrew......
STFU old man, or I'll poke so many holes in that new nitrous line that you'll laugh your silly *** right into the wall
Old 09-07-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

STFU old man, or I'll poke so many holes in that new nitrous line that you'll laugh your silly *** right into the wall

You can kiss my silly *** bitch
Old 09-07-2004, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

I'll be kissing your diff cover when it blows through my windshield at the '330 mark.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll be kissing your diff cover when it blows through my windshield at the '330 mark.
Yeah but I will still coast to a faster time than you
Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Uh Jerami sorry, I don't wont to screw up your thread, just to clarify, dont mod your LS1 and for sure dont spray it........
Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh Jerami sorry, I don't wont to screw up your thread, just to clarify, dont mod your LS1 and for sure dont spray it........
dont worry about it, i have the power to delete
Old 09-07-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for your problems dude but a couple of points, I have 4.10's in the stock 10 bolt(cant afford a 12 bolt or 8.8 now 0), almost 15k with 60 plus passes and still as quiet as the day they were installed,don't know who did your tune but with my cam FMS F11 228/230-575-597+4-112 my car does not surge at all!(tuned by FMS) Does not use even 1/4 qt between oil changes(Mobil OW40 syn) 3K intervals. On a crappy 60 ft(2.0) it runs 12.4's at 117 and is as reliable as the sun every day. Just added a 100 shot of spray God I love these motors!!!!

Yeah it's reliable alright..its a phuchin garage queen..don't even have windshield wipers on it...
Old 09-07-2004, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Damn the Man!!!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
Satan has been unleashed on the newbs

this is going to get interesting w/ his new powers
Old 09-07-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Yeah it's reliable alright..its a phuchin garage queen..don't even have windshield wipers on it...

Hey dust buster I bet my car has made a ton more passes than your **** has and the last time I saw 13's the C6 was still a year and a half ago where you at bitch
Old 09-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Pimp Mods:

1) Eibach Pro Kit
Came with the car. I like the lowered look, but need to eventually replace stock shocks. Big ruts or bumps can cause a jolt with stock shocks otherwise, smooth sailing.

2) 02 35Th LE SS rims
Bought them used off a forum member (Wildman_Pablo, great seller) Best visual and functional mod hands down. Love the look and the ride. I get immediate compliments on the rims.

3) Tinted windows
Car came with sides and back tinted. A little dark at night but on hot days it is worth it. One local drive up bank teller said she could not see who I was with the window rolled up. I did get stopped by a un-marked state trooper on the way into work one day. Later someone told me I was a profiler for a drug runner (fast car, tinted windows, on the highway doing the speed limit). SP searched my car from top to bottom. After 15 minutes of searching, he said I need to keep a watch on my tag, it expires soon.

4) Fast Toys Stainless Steel Z28 tips
Very nice touch. I really like the wide Z28 tips on the Camaro. I added these when I got my exhaust job done.

5) Aftermarket Stereo:
This came with the car. Alpine amp, 4 sets of Polk MOMO crossover component speakers (4 tweeters 4 midrange), and an older JVC deck. The Polk MOMO component speakers are sweet! I would not have sunk the money into it but I will definately take it for free.

Performance Mods

1) FRA mod
Already came with the car. Dude did a crappy job, I had to go in and smooth out alot of the cuts. I would have done it myself if it had not already been done.

2) SLP lid
Great fit and function, definately a crispier response combined with the FRA

3) Magnaflow muffler
I bought muffler from a local shop and replaced the stock Z28 muffler and tailpipes. The local muffman replaced the 2 1/4" tail pipes with new 2 1/2" pipes. I kept the stock y pipe because my car is lowered and I think a 3" pipe would scrape the driveway.
For muffler, 2 new tailpipes, and installation, I paid $180. Its not stainless steel but for me, way better than the $350 + $shipping + $install for full catback. I can tell a big difference in response with the SLP lid and my Magnaflow setup. Exactly the sound I was looking for! Reserved at low RPM, no drone, car with guts at WOT/High RPM.

The Magnaflow, FRA, and SLP lid together added some definate power. I dont know how much, I dont have a local dyno but I can definately feel it and I get about 3 more MPG.

Mistakes:

Used GM SS muffler
I bought this used of the forum (I won't mention any names) and it was suppose to be an SLP SS muffler. Did not get pics and ask more question before buying it. Ended up being a GM SS muffler with dirt and rust in it like it had been set outside. I should have just spent that money on the new magnaflow muffler. I only paid $50 including shipping and then trashed it. I guess I learned alot about the internals of the GM/SLP/Magnaflow mufflers which was a positive.

I will not do anymore modding to the car. I use it as a daily driver and need it to be reliable and get good gas mileage. My other daily driver, truck, is being consumed by my teenagers. In a couple of years, I will buy another daily driver and put a torque converter in the Z (there is an 1/8 mile drag strip nearby )
Old 09-07-2004, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

3) Tinted windows
Car came with sides and back tinted. A little dark at night but on hot days it is worth it. One local drive up bank teller said she could not see who I was with the window rolled up. I did get stopped by a un-marked state trooper on the way into work one day. Later someone told me I was a profiler for a drug runner (fast car, tinted windows, on the highway doing the speed limit). SP searched my car from top to bottom. After 15 minutes of searching, he said I need to keep a watch on my tag, it expires soon.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
3) Tinted windows

I am a young 40 yrs old (alot of people tell me I look like Don Johnson ) Ha. Anyway, he came to the passengers side and when I rolled down my window he was standing way back. When he saw I was a local and showed him my Concealed Weapons Permit (you cant even have a traffic ticket against you when you apply for a CWP) , he still went through the search. He even had me unzip my sunglass case and verify nothing was in there. Did not have to unzip anything else though

Quick Reply: newbie mod mistakes