New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window motor sticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010 | 12:35 AM
Launching!

Default Window motor sticking

Goes halfway up, stops. Hafta wait 5 minutes and try again. It goes up another couple inches, and stops. I have to start rolling up the window 6 blocks before I park, and it bugs. Any tips? (besides "get a new motor"... I can't swing a new motor right now- need a cost-effective fix)
Old 07-13-2010 | 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine just started doing it too. Goes up just fine up until about 3" left, then stops. Then I have to wait, as if the system's recharging. Then it only moves up a fraction of an inch afterwards.

I'm glad you posted this....I was about to
Old 07-13-2010 | 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

try spraying it with wd40 but youre going to need a new window motor.
Old 07-13-2010 | 05:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Common problem, new motor, ebay 10-15 bucks......When you replace drill out the rivets and replace w/ screws for next time...
Old 07-13-2010 | 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

there is a part out there on a ws6 website i seen. window down fix or sumthin its called. it explains why the windows do that and sells ya a buncha wires n stuff the fix it.
Old 07-13-2010 | 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need a new motor.

Dont have the money? DONT PUT THE WINDOW DOWN !

lol
Old 07-13-2010 | 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
You need a new motor.

Dont have the money? DONT PUT THE WINDOW DOWN !

lol
Exactly.

There is no "fix" for a worn out window motor, other than to replace it. There are wiring kits that will make the windows work better when used with strong/properly functioning motors, but at this point you'll need a new motor first.

I just did this repair on my '02 car two weeks ago. It's pretty simple actually, and a new motor is about $60 from Autozone with a lifetime warranty. Not sure how you define "cost-effective", but $60 in parts + do-it-yourself labor beats the hell out of paying a GM dealer to do it for you.

If you still can't afford that, then you'll have to just deal with a non-working window. Hope your A/C works.
Old 07-13-2010 | 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have this same problem... waiting for next paycheck and will attempt to tackle this project myself.
Old 07-13-2010 | 12:14 PM
Banned

x2 on what everyone has said, pick it up at autozone or something and do it yourself! Or if you want to save some cash order it online!
Old 07-13-2010 | 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by udienow
I have this same problem... waiting for next paycheck and will attempt to tackle this project myself.
Let me know hoe it goes... Can't believe how fast the window motors go, they were both replaced right before I bought the car- a whopping year and a half ago.
Old 07-13-2010 | 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

my car did the same thing. i replaced the window motor and it fixed it. i drilled out the rivets and used screws. not too big of a job
Old 07-13-2010 | 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Revo1
Let me know hoe it goes... Can't believe how fast the window motors go, they were both replaced right before I bought the car- a whopping year and a half ago.
I'm not sure why some tend to die so much sooner than others, I think in some cases it's extra drag created by tinting paper (always seems like those with tints have this problem sooner/more often).

My '02 car still had both stock motors for 8+ years and 97k miles. The driver's side one just failed, but the passenger side is still fine.
Old 07-13-2010 | 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm not sure why some tend to die so much sooner than others, I think in some cases it's extra drag created by tinting paper (always seems like those with tints have this problem sooner/more often).

My '02 car still had both stock motors for 8+ years and 97k miles. The driver's side one just failed, but the passenger side is still fine.
That would make sense- when I bought the car it had some seriously bad DIY tint that I promptly removed. Just factory tint for over a year... Just pulled the short straw on this motor I guess. My passenger window still operates, and is still pretty fast. Argh.
Old 07-13-2010 | 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

That would make sense- when I bought the car it had some seriously bad DIY tint that I promptly removed. Just factory tint for over a year... Just pulled the short straw on this motor I guess. My passenger window still operates, and is still pretty fast. Argh.
thats funny u say that. when i bought mine the tint was removed but they left the glue on there.........it was a pain in the rump to get off and it still isnt all off.......well the glue ruined the passenger motor. the window flys down but drags on the way up and stops an inch b4 it closes.....i have to get out and pull up on it while i hit the button....its embarrassing
Old 07-13-2010 | 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah my car is an 00 with 60k and the driver just gave out now. Passanger seems to be just fine. No tint on my car as far as I know ever.
Old 07-14-2010 | 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98RedRocket
thats funny u say that. when i bought mine the tint was removed but they left the glue on there.........it was a pain in the rump to get off and it still isnt all off.......well the glue ruined the passenger motor. the window flys down but drags on the way up and stops an inch b4 it closes.....i have to get out and pull up on it while i hit the button....its embarrassing
That's exactly what mine's doing. Down easy, up REAL hard. I can eventually get it all the way back up via the button, but it's a waiting game. It also seems to be worse when it's hot outside. I wonder it that residue is the problem...
Old 07-14-2010 | 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

That's exactly what mine's doing. Down easy, up REAL hard. I can eventually get it all the way back up via the button, but it's a waiting game. It also seems to be worse when it's hot outside. I wonder it that residue is the problem...
Yeah the window tint glue if definitely the problem with my window gettin stuck....i bet when its hot that glue gets softer and more sticky......im go clean the rest of it off while im thinkin about it lol
Old 07-14-2010 | 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

didnt read anything above so sorry if it is said

but if it is on the passanger side get the autotrix kit worked wonders for me

if the drivers just to a crapy auto zone moter til you can get a good gm one
Old 07-14-2010 | 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by DCC!!
if the drivers just to a crapy auto zone moter til you can get a good gm one
Autozone sells Dorman and Siemens brands. These are actually very good motors, probably better than the GM stuff.
Old 07-15-2010 | 03:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

then there you go lol win win!!

Quick Reply: Window motor sticking