Sponsored by:

GM parts LS2 blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 12:49 PM
org
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM parts LS2 blocks?

Anyone have info on when GM will start selling LS2 blocks?

I've seen several posts about the LS2 stating it will or won't accept LS1 heads/intake/internals....does anyone know for sure?

Olen Goodwin
Old 01-20-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think its funny that the ls2 isn't even in a production car and people are asking for parts for it. Give the sponsers a chance to get a C6, mod it, see how the engine performs, and what parts are the same/interchangeable with a ls1, then you can decide wither or not you want the block/other parts. Just my .02
Old 01-20-2004, 09:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Transamlover33
I think its funny that the ls2 isn't even in a production car and people are asking for parts for it. Give the sponsers a chance to get a C6, mod it, see how the engine performs, and what parts are the same/interchangeable with a ls1, then you can decide wither or not you want the block/other parts. Just my .02
Old 01-20-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is my understanding that tha Gen IV Block is only slightly revised from the previous Block and that all LS1 components are interchangeable. I do know they moved the Knock sensor from the valley to outside the block between cylinders 5 and 7
We recieved 4 unmachined Gen IV Aluminum 5.3 blocks at work and they were not visually different at least that I could see.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:06 PM
org
On The Tree

Ahhhh, Transametc, I thought to get answers, you have to have questions. Obviously the engine is finalized and just as obviously, somebody will have answers. Should work out about right.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry if it came off as a flame org, just letting you know my opinion
Old 01-21-2004, 03:51 PM
org
On The Tree

Sorry if it came off as a flame org, just letting you know my opinion
No problem, Transamlover33. I'm not actually looking for parts yet...I'm going to start from scratch and build an engine. If the LS2 block will work with LS1 components, I'll wait and get one for the increased displacement. If I find out it won't work, I'll just get a LS1 block.

Last edited by org; 01-21-2004 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to a GM engineer representing the LSx platform at the Detroit auto show and he told me the bolt patterns are all the same and that the heads should be interchangeable. Take that FWIW.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to the LA car show and saw the C6, I asked a thit load of questions on the car and the girl (anuoncer/narator) seem to know quite a bit too, she says the only thing that is different is that block has been board out to a 6.O litter engine. And the girl was cute too.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

So people shouldn't attempt to do their own testing or development now? Only buy what sponsors sell and what other people use first?
Not everyone wants to be a flow chart hot rodder. If you don't ever want to test and develop your own engine set-up or do anything original thats cool. I don't think you should try to discourage others that may want to try.

For the original poster: I do not know when the parts will be available. The counter guy at the local Pontiac dealership is supposed to call me when he gets any information. I'll PM you when I hear from him.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:28 AM
org
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lerajie
So people shouldn't attempt to do their own testing or development now? Only buy what sponsors sell and what other people use first?
Not everyone wants to be a flow chart hot rodder. If you don't ever want to test and develop your own engine set-up or do anything original thats cool. I don't think you should try to discourage others that may want to try.

For the original poster: I do not know when the parts will be available. The counter guy at the local Pontiac dealership is supposed to call me when he gets any information. I'll PM you when I hear from him.
Thanks, Larajie.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lerajie
Thats not what i'm saying at all. All that i'm saying is that the car isn't out, so in all probability the parts from the car aren't going to be out yet, and our sponsers will do a great job testing the new parts so we don't have to waste our money on a 1000 dollar block to find out it doesn't work.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Thats not what i'm saying at all. All that i'm saying is that the car isn't out, so in all probability the parts from the car aren't going to be out yet, and our sponsers will do a great job testing the new parts so we don't have to waste our money on a 1000 dollar block to find out it doesn't work.
Believe it or not alot of good dealers recive parts for vehicles before they receive the vehicles themselves. The reason for this is that if they encounter a problem during the initial inspection they have parts available. Mostly these parts are trim items and things that are easily damaged in transit.Sometimes dealers will pre-order mechanical pieces. My local dealer does this.

As far as the sponsors testing items. I have no problem with your stance on this. It makes good fiscal sense to work in the manner you describe. Some people modify automobiles and worry more about doing new things and being the first to find out about something. The latter will cost alot more money but it is pretty cool when people attach your name to a modification (ask Nineball) not to mention the satisfaction and pride you get from being the first person to accomplish something.