Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone from Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone from Hawaii

I am going to be taking a trip to Hawaii's Big Island and then flying to Oahu. Just wanted to know if you have any suggestions of what to do. I Like to hike if anyone knows of any great trails I should hike. thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Restricted User

Theres lots to do here. I am on Oahu (and Drew778, Mr B, 35thSS and more, I live in Ewa Beach, south side kinda. Assassin is on Big Island, as well as 1320 Performance. Drew and I ride MX on weekend days, and race weekend nights. There are some nice clubs, lots of booty bikinis and whatnots. I dont persae hike, being Army I do a lot of walking long distances with large packs, but not for the scenic value. When will you be here? For how long? Need help, lemme know.

Charlie
Old 01-20-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will be flying to the big Island on March 6th and then flying to Oahu on the 11th and leaving on the 14th. I dont really want to go to any of the clubs, I can do that around here. but would like to see the islands, scuba dive, hike, find some good beaches, ect.

I did not realize there was that many members from Hawaii, wow!
Old 01-21-2004, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also on Oahu. Although, I'm not a big hiker, but I found the Volcano National Park nice. Just don't take any rocks home, and you'll be ok.
Come to think of it, I can't think of anything besides the real touristy places. Scuba diving at Hanauma Bay on Oahu is always good, but go early or else the water won't be as clear.
I think my fave trip was the first time my family and I went to the top of Haleakala Mountain. I've never seen the clouds so far below me before except on a plane.
Oh, and my bro and his friend did this recently, but it's kinda illegal, you can climb/hike the "Stairway to Heaven". It's located here in Kaneohe, but you kinda gotta climb fences and go thru backyards to get to the start point. It's supposed to be closed off or something because the City can't upkeep it. But lots of people still go, and it's in good condition. From the pictures and what my brother told me, it's just a really long metal stairs, and at some points straight ladders going striaght up the side of the mountain. You can see the stairs faintly from the entering/exiting the tunnel on the H-3 freeway. Just some ideas for ya.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Default O'ahu

I live on the Windward (lush, wet & beautiful) side of O'ahu. Probably the best hike is in Kailua called the Maunawilli trail. It's well maintained and goes for about 10 miles through the most scenic part of the island (IMO). Another great trail is the Aiea Loop. Pretty easy and well marked with some nice views from the top. As posted earlier, the Stairway to Heaven is not to be missed. The city spent close to a million to repair and upgrade the trail (a climb is more like it, up stairs) but failed to secure parking for the trail! Hopefully that will be remedied before you get here.

Also, there is no shortage of nice beaches, Kailua being one of them. PM me for my phone # or if you have any other questions.

Chip
Old 01-21-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

FenixSS why do you say not to take any of the rocks home? not that I had planned on it but just wondering.

Thanks for the great info, I will be checking into Aiea Loop and the Stairway to Heaven for sure.

Also very intrested in the scuba diving, I have only done it once (in mexico) and had a great time. I thought in the US you have to be certified? or is someone just feeding me a line of BS.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Reason being that Native Hawaiians (meaning those of Hawaiian ancestry, not just being born here) who still believe or follow ancient customs and traditions, believe that the Aina (Land) is sacred. The Goddess Pele, who is regarded as the Goddess of Volcanos, is believed to still be protecting her lands. If you ask about the local folklore, you'll hear many stories about her and many other gods and godesses.
Anyhow, about the lava rocks, should you take one away from wherever it was, it is believed that you'll be cursed. And yes, there are urban legends/folklore about that also, ie bad luck, health, etc. And the only way to remedy it is to return the rock(s) to the exact place you find them.
Anyhow, growing up here, hard to ignore. But hey, you never know, heh heh.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah I will not be taking any for sure!! what if one gets stuck in the crack of your shoe? lol
Old 01-22-2004, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Scuba: Shark's Cove, Three tables on the North Shore; Electric beach, Makaha (lots of Dolphin, whales, turtles) on the Leeward coast, off Makapu'u (near the research center) are all good places to scuba. You will need a certification to rent equipment or get your license through a scuba tour (best bet).
Old 01-22-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a native here! If I went back to Hawaii, I'd not only go to Haleakala, but go there REALLY early in the morning to "watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea(Jimi Hendrix)". Spectacular!!!! There's a power and beauty to the land that can only be expressed by being there. To the "natives"..you lucky dogs!!
Old 01-22-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't miss the chanch to go to Haleakala crator. Start out early enough in the morning to get to the top before sunrise. There is nothing like seeing the sun rise through the clouds the are below you. Dress like it will be 30 degrees outside because it will be at the top. When you leave there stop off for breakfast at the resturant about 3/4 of the way down on your left side.
Hang Loose
Alan
Old 01-23-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the name of the resturant "Volcano house"? I heard they have great blueberry pancakes.

You guys gave me a lot of great ideas thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

hope you enjoy it here and comeback for more in the future.if you have a chance check out our track on weekends.might meet one of us there.later brah.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I was stationed there for 3 years. A good place to hike is the Peacock Flat trail. It starts at Dillingham AFB. That place is an old WW2 airstrip. Only small civilian aircraft are there now. You can also get a glider ride there (recommended). Anyway, the trail to the top of the mountain range is winding and steep. You need to be in decent shape, and bring water at least. When you get to the top the trail is pretty smooth. The view is awesome. You will be overlooking Kaena Point, and you can see the North Shore to the right, and Honolulu to the left. Plan for an all day event if you want to walk all the trails. I lived only a few minutes from there and know every inch of that ground. There is a paved road about a half mile before Dillingham that I would ride my mountain bike up to Peacock, then down the jeep trails to the other side, reaching up to 50mph. I can count on one hand the number of other people I saw altogether. No tourists ever, probably because of the difficulty. But it's not that hard. Yes, there are peacocks, ond other rare wildlife found nowhere else in the world. I would not recommend scuba diving on the North Shore in the winter lol.

Last edited by 11 Bravo; 01-25-2004 at 11:14 AM.