New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Mods that don't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a spare LS1 intake in my garage, and my ported throttle body is due back this week. I have access to temperature dataloggers and chambers at work, so when everything gets back, I'm going to stick the intake and TB into the chamber, heat them up, and show that there's an absolutely negligible amount of air temperature difference at the incoming air outside of the TB, and the air coming out of the intake ports.

The coolant bypass is an engine bay cleanup mod - it has NOTHING to do with performance. If you consider it a "performance" mod, you might as well go buy some tornado intake spinny things and some exhaust turbo whistles - that'll probably net the same amount of power gained.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 88gtman
I saw that article. I just wish that they would have ran the dyno test after each mod was done to find out which of the free mods made the biggest difference and which ones did bumpkiss. This only shows that done together you can get a 10rwhp increase, but it doesn't mean that just doing 3 out of the 5 would have yielded the same result.
I second that, read the article too.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element
The coolant bypass is an engine bay cleanup mod
Wait a second how the hell is this a cleanup mod? You are not eliminating anything, the coolant hose is still there and is if anything less organized than before, hanging loosely beneath your throttle body.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
Wait a second how the hell is this a cleanup mod? You are not eliminating anything, the coolant hose is still there and is if anything less organized than before, hanging loosely beneath your throttle body.
It eliminates the tubing running to the TB, and if you use one piece of tubing and zip-tie it neatly, it's out of the way and looks a lot better than ghetto-rigging a couple brass fittings that just hang under the TB. Plus, if you trim the coolant pipes off (not like you're going to be using them again), it makes the throttle body look cleaner, too.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It eliminates the tubing running to the TB, and if you use one piece of tubing and zip-tie it neatly, it's out of the way and looks a lot better than ghetto-rigging a couple brass fittings that just hang under the TB. Plus, if you trim the coolant pipes off (not like you're going to be using them again), it makes the throttle body look cleaner, too.
Interesting idea, got any pics?
Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting idea, got any pics?
Will soon...my ported TB is due in today, although I still need to run out and get some 1/4" line for the coolant.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think free mods are just small ways to improve efficiency.. that all and the engine gains from it.. its already proven..

but i would say cutting weight is the best..
Old 08-18-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Apex8
the MAF screen should not be pulled out no matter what.
WRONG. I have had mine descreened for 4 years. Never had a issue with shift points, fuel mileage or any other problem. I did not have to retune the car because of it either. I only bought the HPT software earlier this year. I don't know where the issues of descreening came from but it must be from damaging the MAF rather than simply removing the screen. My car still gets 25mpg on the highway just fine.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darksol
WRONG. I have had mine descreened for 4 years. Never had a issue with shift points, fuel mileage or any other problem. I did not have to retune the car because of it either. I only bought the HPT software earlier this year. I don't know where the issues of descreening came from but it must be from damaging the MAF rather than simply removing the screen. My car still gets 25mpg on the highway just fine.
Yours is an exceptional case.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Yours is an exceptional case.
No, it's not. There are a **** ton of people who have done it with no issues. I did mine before I switched to SD and had no issues at all, even did before and after logs and there was virtually no change in afr.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
No, it's not. There are a **** ton of people who have done it with no issues. I did mine before I switched to SD and had no issues at all, even did before and after logs and there was virtually no change in afr.
And for all the people who did it and wound up with issues, I doubt they'd say it was worth the possible 2-3hp gain.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

And for all the people who did it and wound up with issues, I doubt they'd say it was worth the possible 2-3hp gain.
Of course not, but I'm not convinced any issues were due to the screen alone.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
MAF,MAP,throttle position,etc. are all used to determine load.

Speed,RPM,etc. are used to determine shifting.

To put it simply: de-screening a MAF is not a problem that requires black magic to solve for. It takes time,tuning software,some knowledge and a wideband to correct.
Well I never quite suggested it was problem that required "Black magic" to solve and I am 100% in agreement with you that it can be fixed with tuning (Hell almost anything can be fixed with tuning) and I should have pointed this out before. At the same time we should note that this is the newbie section, I doubt most of the people reading this thread possess the "tuning software" and "knowledge" required to correct problems of this nature.

I did mine before I switched to SD and had no issues at all, even did before and after logs and there was virtually no change in afr.
The concerns raised were regarding idle quality and shift points in automatics, not AFR.

No, it's not. There are a **** ton of people who have done it with no issues.
OK perhaps my comment came on as a bit too strong, I take it back. To those who have experienced success with the descreen mod without supplemental tuning I'm happy for you and applaud your success. Unfortunately the same has not applied to everyone. While many people have not had issues with the descreen mod there have been a great deal who have. Am I suggesting that everyone who performs this modification will have problems? No, but a good number will and everyone considering this mod ought to keep that in mind. Everyone needs to know and consider the risks involved with any mod before performing it.

Bottom line is there are risks. If you cannot tune or don't have access to a professional tuner you are playing with fire with this mod.

Originally Posted by Darksol
I don't know where the issues of descreening came from but it must be from damaging the MAF rather than simply removing the screen.
Of course not, but I'm not convinced any issues were due to the screen alone.
Are the two of you seriously prepared to suggest that every case of descreened maf problems is a result of error on the part of the mechanic?

Last edited by RedVertTA; 08-19-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow.... Just wow.

Conversation with Jon at TSP...

You: Hey man, I got 1000$ to buy a set of heads with.
Jon: I got a set, they will pick you up 40Rwhp.
You: Cool man, I will take them.
Jon: Well, I have a set also that is the same exact price that will pick you up 50Rwhp but you have to do ten jumping jacks after you put them on.
You: Nah man, I'm good... That seems like a lot of time/work for only 10Rwhp.

As close as I could get as to what this thread reminds me of... Then you have Redvert arguing with Nssane about descreening the MAF and people saying the TB bypass is an engine bay clean up mod.

Damn it man, just damn it.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

I quit.

Last edited by NSSANE02; 08-19-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: bored with this shit...
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
Wow.... Just wow.

Conversation with Jon at TSP...

You: Hey man, I got 1000$ to buy a set of heads with.
Jon: I got a set, they will pick you up 40Rwhp.
You: Cool man, I will take them.
Jon: Well, I have a set also that is the same exact price that will pick you up 50Rwhp but you have to do ten jumping jacks after you put them on.
You: Nah man, I'm good... That seems like a lot of time/work for only 10Rwhp.

As close as I could get as to what this thread reminds me of... Then you have Redvert arguing with Nssane about descreening the MAF and people saying the TB bypass is an engine bay clean up mod.

I never, EVER said the maf descreen mod wouldn't yield extra power and I agree with the camp that says it does. The stock maf flows about 800 cfm, descreened and ported it flows about 1000. I'm just trying to point out the risks involved.

Lemons I am in no way attempting to endorse laziness as you seem to be implying, see post #42 for my brief anti-lazy "get your *** off the couch" rant.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
people saying the TB bypass is an engine bay clean up mod.

The TB bypass is an engine bay cleanup mod. It has NO impact on power - either at the crank, or at the wheels. How anyone can think that air moving through a throttle body that's about 3" deep, even at idle velocity, is going to somehow "heat the air up so much it makes you lose power" doesn't understand the basics of physics.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The TB bypass is an engine bay cleanup mod. It has NO impact on power - either at the crank, or at the wheels. How anyone can think that air moving through a throttle body that's about 3" deep, even at idle velocity, is going to somehow "heat the air up so much it makes you lose power" doesn't understand the basics of physics.
How about you run that test you were talking about so we all don't have to have a pissing match over this?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

How about you run that test you were talking about so we all don't have to have a pissing match over this?
TB is due in today (late shipping out from the porter), so I'll be getting it set up Monday or Tuesday, depending on how busy the lab at work is.

Quick Reply: Free Mods that don't work