Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Mods that don't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free Mods that don't work

Which free mod do you think is the biggest waste of time? FRA, EGR mod, P and P throttle body etc. I have seen test that show when all done together a 10 rwhp gain on a dyno, but I haven't seen any tests testing each one individually. I think that the P and P of the throttle body is the worst. I feel this way because no matter how much you port the outside and backside of the throttle body the middle with the butterfly is still choking the air down. JMO what is yours?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

My 02 SS made a difference w/ a P&P TB and like u said all of them together make the difference.U really have to do the right combination to have a fast car.Most people do heads and cam and there car is no faster than my bolt-on car.U just have to know were to spend the money and no go crazy.JMO.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it hard to believe that you're running bolt ons and keep up with cars running heads and cam. JMO.

To OP - I think !EGR and !AIR are probably a waste of time. I don't see how they can actually provide HP gains by removing. Sure, it cleans the car up and all but I dont see how it can be worth the time unless you are doing other things such as an intake or header install - then it would be worth it.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

A lot of uses of JMO in here.

How valuable is your time?

In theory "free" mods have a very high dollar to HP range even if the HP gain is low.

Say you pick up 2hp from FRA. What did it cost you? Say you broke a dremel cut off wheel so it cost you $1. You are getting 1hp per $.50. At that ratio $250 would get you 500 HP.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChvyCruzen
I find it hard to believe that you're running bolt ons and keep up with cars running heads and cam. JMO.

To OP - I think !EGR and !AIR are probably a waste of time. I don't see how they can actually provide HP gains by removing. Sure, it cleans the car up and all but I dont see how it can be worth the time unless you are doing other things such as an intake or header install - then it would be worth it.
I actually think the EGR mod might gain a pony or two. I have looked at it and it is quite a large obstruction. Taking that off clears up more room than porting the crap out of the stock TB. Haven't done it yet though. So far I have done the FRA and removed all the fins from the top of the stock lid.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

don't descreen your MAF sensor...might help flow since the intake path is straight on a fbody but it can confuse the calibration and you have a high risk of damaging it during removal

I would definitely do ram air, but go all out and run ducts to the bumper and force feed the airbox...should be very cheap to do with stuff from home depot

cutting off that egr tube would help too, as will porting the tb
Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

p&p throttle body is one of the best I think. Everyone i've ever done, on LS1's and 4.3's I've been successful. Always a noticeable increase
Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P&P throttle body on my car increased throttle response quite a bit.

FRA isn't going to show any changes on a dyno, just at the track - where it matters.

I've never heard deleting the AIR system being a free power-adder mod - all it does is to inject hot air into the cats during a cold engine start to get their efficiency up more quickly. Doesn't have anything to do with engine power.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

I ripped the EGR system off my LS1, but for an entirely different reason. The fitting on the air check valve was banging a hole in my AC line. So I removed the EGR system to prevent it from damaging the new AC line.

If anything I removed 10 lbs from my bird.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 88gtman
Which free mod do you think is the biggest waste of time? FRA, EGR mod, P and P throttle body etc. I have seen test that show when all done together a 10 rwhp gain on a dyno, but I haven't seen any tests testing each one individually. I think that the P and P of the throttle body is the worst. I feel this way because no matter how much you port the outside and backside of the throttle body the middle with the butterfly is still choking the air down. JMO what is yours?

Have you looked at a stock tb?
The part that gets removes is smaller then the back of the tb.
So yea it does help becase that choke point is the smallest. Also really helps with throttle response
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I thought 01-02 didnt have egr?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Launching!

p&p TB does work since on a stock TB it bottle necks before the throttle blade so there is actually alot of material you can remove in front of the throttle blade to increase the overall diameter by like 5 or 6 mm not to mention you can smooth out all the casting marks while your p&p it, also helps throttle response like someone already said.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
I thought 01-02 didnt have egr?
the AIR goes into the egr which is on the back of the intake manifold
Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

So do you have to do the !EGR to do the !AIR?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
So do you have to do the !EGR to do the !AIR?
Basically, The AIR system is fed by both exhaust manifolds.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

none of it was a waste of time for me. I did ram air mod, de screened maff, ported stock TB, took all EGR off and had tune out the day i got my car. I could tell a difference. If ya a auto dont pull maff screen out
Old 08-05-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

P&P tb is definately the most beneficial, when i ran one I definately noticed something.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like maybe I am wrong about the P&P job. Does anyone have numbers to back this up? To prove that the flow rate is better? Don't forget to also talk about and explain the free mod that you feel is the least beneficial.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sic lsx
none of it was a waste of time for me. I did ram air mod, de screened maff, ported stock tb, took all egr off and had tune out the day i got my car. I could tell a difference. If ya a auto dont pull maff screen out
why not with an auto ?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Formula98ramair
why not with an auto ?
the MAF screen should not be pulled out no matter what.

Quick Reply: Free Mods that don't work