Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Mods that don't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
TB is due in today (late shipping out from the porter), so I'll be getting it set up Monday or Tuesday, depending on how busy the lab at work is.
You're getting it ported just for this test?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex8
But for why not to descreen the maf. There has been extensive testing on DSMs that it makes the air reading less accurate. You want the air going straight over the sensor. The sensor can not read accurate if the air is not flowing evenly and straight over it
The honey combs are decent size it's not like it's as dense as a cat or something lol.
Ok, great for DSM's.

Everyone...rip that stupid MAF screen off immediately. I can't believe this is still a topic of conversation 13 year later.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
You're getting it ported just for this test?
Oh no, I sent it out to have it ported before this thread started, just good timing that it's due back while this is ongoing.

I don't imagine anyone has temperature data, but if there's any info on how hot the intake and throttle body get during normal car operation, that'd give me some baseline numbers to start with. Probably going to soak the intake at about 110*F and the TB at about 160*F and test at around 70*F ambient, with thermocouples set up at ambient external, right at the front of the TB, at the rear of the TB at the intake mouth, and at the end of #5 and #8 intake runners.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
Ok, great for DSM's.

Everyone...rip that stupid MAF screen off immediately. I can't believe this is still a topic of conversation 13 year later.
I'm just wondering...has anyone actually done bench flow tests with heads and a full intake tract (filter, lid, MAF, TB, and intake) to see if there's any net cfm gain at the heads? I don't think anyone is going to argue that removing the MAF screen can increase flow; what's debatable is to whether it actually makes any difference in the overall engine setup.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, great for DSM's.

I think God has spoken to us.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

The TB bypass is an engine bay cleanup mod. It has NO impact on power - either at the crank, or at the wheels. How anyone can think that air moving through a throttle body that's about 3" deep, even at idle velocity, is going to somehow "heat the air up so much it makes you lose power" doesn't understand the basics of physics.
Really? You are the FIRST person I have EVER seen post that.
I'm just wondering...has anyone actually done bench flow tests with heads and a full intake tract (filter, lid, MAF, TB, and intake) to see if there's any net cfm gain at the heads? I don't think anyone is going to argue that removing the MAF screen can increase flow; what's debatable is to whether it actually makes any difference in the overall engine setup.
You are a bit late on the testing there buddy... IIRC there was a FULL test (thread) done early 08 (and one even a few years before that) with a TON of info.

With any of the free mods the gains are minimal to almost non existent but they are ******* free!! If you pick up 1Rwhp, isn't that worth it?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
Really? You are the FIRST person I have EVER seen post that.

You are a bit late on the testing there buddy... IIRC there was a FULL test (thread) done early 08 (and one even a few years before that) with a TON of info.

With any of the free mods the gains are minimal to almost non existent but they are ******* free!! If you pick up 1Rwhp, isn't that worth it?
So what was the end outcome of the test?

Free power-adding mods are great. Free mods that don't add power, that people claim add power, aren't so much. I'm sure when the data shows that a hot TB adds no appreciable heat to intake air, people will still claim the TB coolant bypass frees up power; when it's been decided, regardless of anything else, that a mod is going to add power, why would hard data make a difference?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

So what was the end outcome of the test?

Free power-adding mods are great. Free mods that don't add power, that people claim add power, aren't so much. I'm sure when the data shows that a hot TB adds no appreciable heat to intake air, people will still claim the TB coolant bypass frees up power; when it's been decided, regardless of anything else, that a mod is going to add power, why would hard data make a difference?
I honestly can't remember.. It didn't interest me enough to read through how many ever pages of the thread there was.

I have never had (or friends had) negative side effects from any of the free mods.. So even if it doesn't help, it isn't hurting anything.

I could honestly care less either way.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Is there a good write up on how to p&p TB
Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
So even if it doesn't help, it isn't hurting anything.
There have been cases that would say otherwise, some members have had issues with idle quality and shift points after modding the maf. Others have issues with FRA mod plumbing blocking the radiator and AC condenser airways which causes high water temps and decrease AC performance. (see post 46 by JimMueller who has personally experienced issues with this).

On a personal note I was looking into doing the FRA mod and complimenting it with the SLP cold air plumbing setup but gave up after reading Jim's comments. I too live in Florida and my car is a daily driver, I commute 50 miles daily and I have absolutely no intention of being completely miserable without AC during that commute in exchange for 2 or 3 horsepower of which could only be felt at speeds over 50 miles per hour or so anyway.

Bottom line is there are downsides to some of the free mods, each to his own whether he or she feels the trade-offs are worth it.

Originally Posted by cabbottusmc1803
Is there a good write up on how to p&p TB
http://www.ehow.com/how_4553230_port...ttle-body.html

These are very complete instructions:

www.ls2.com/boggs/tbpandp/ls1tbportandpolish.doc

This is an awesome thread (has dyno results posted):

http://www.gastiresoil.com/showthread.php?p=21704

Last edited by RedVertTA; 08-24-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
There have been cases that would say otherwise, some members have had issues with idle quality and shift points after modding the maf. Others have issues with FRA mod plumbing blocking the radiator and AC condenser airways which causes high water temps and decrease AC performance. (see post 46 by JimMueller who has personally experienced issues with this).
I was talking about mine and my friends experiences with it (many ls1 cars FWIW).. If out of 20 or so cars nobody has had problems with it I think my chances are pretty good.

On the other hand, there are hundreds of thousands on the net, if 1 pops up every few months having a problem, I will still take my chances because they are pretty good.

Just my outlook.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a newbie (thus why posting in this thread) but does this free ram air mod really help any on the SS camaro's or WS6 trans ams? i'd assume they don't really see any benefits since they already have factory ram air????
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried Nitrogen in my tires but still couldn't get traction...
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gpr
I'm a newbie (thus why posting in this thread) but does this free ram air mod really help any on the SS camaro's or WS6 trans ams? i'd assume they don't really see any benefits since they already have factory ram air????
Still works for both. Unbaffled, the stock WS.6 hood doesn't really let any air in. If a stock SS has working ram air, I'd love to see it.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gpr
Yes they do.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, great for DSM's.

+1 get rid of it and retune.

First post I've seen from you in years... Good to see you're still here helping people out. I remember a few years back you helped me with some solid advice.

Quick Reply: Free Mods that don't work