New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Motor Mounts or Poly

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a fan of the Spohn solids. Vibration wasn't bad but they raise the engine at least an inch.... Which gave me huge problems clearing my Vic. Jr.

When I replaced the K-member I swapped back to poly mounts. There are 8 second cars running around on poly mounts. Save yourself the trouble and don't use the solids.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reason 4 changing

The reason I have to change the Mounts is because my brother put the SS into a tree in a parking lot while drifting and tore the drivers side.The trans mounts are shot just due to normal wear...and I know, bad mistake letting my bro drive my car..could have been worse tho and he paid for the damage so I learn a lesson that day...Chalk it up, I learned.

From what I heard about the solid MM from Spohn directly - they set the motor at stock original height - not sure if I really believe the myth on the raising the motor 1". Why would they sell a product that did that...doesn't figure out.

Appreciate the feedback once again. Thanks for your time and info.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I owned a set and have worked on a few other cars with them. I hate to be blunt, but I don't care what they say about them (unless there has been a MAJOR redesign since I purchased mine). They raise the motor. It almost seems as if they forgot to figure in the deflection of the rubber/poly mounts when they designed the product.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the reason say the solids raise the motor is because the stock mounts sag/squish down as they get older. I'd imagine if you could take an engine height measurement on a car with brand-new stock mounts and solids, there'd be very little variance.

In order for the solid mounts to actually raise the engine, they would have to be designed at a different angle than stock mounts.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree that they would have to be designed differently to raise the motor, which is what I proport they do.

I replaced a set of solids with a BRAND NEW set of poly mounts (which would sag much than stock mounts even when new) and the motor set SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

I'm not trying to bash, just trying to save someone trouble.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
I agree that they would have to be designed differently to raise the motor, which is what I proport they do.

I replaced a set of solids with a BRAND NEW set of poly mounts (which would sag much than stock mounts even when new) and the motor set SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

Weird...the only other set of f-body solids are the PA Racing ones. Wonder if they cause the same high engine issue?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Appreciate the lookin out brough... still haven't decided - if u r running 10's with the Poly's, and still like them, that says something. That's a fast a_ _ streetcar.Got to get the SLP 02 LS1 fixed before September... mom is coming back out to AZ and she wants to drive the ( her ) Vette.

What do u run brough ?? ES or Prothane
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run prothane's mounts. Best example of a fast streetcar I know with these mounts is MIGHTYMOUSE 8.7 @ 159.... They definately won't let you down (especially if my hunk is fast compared to what you're looking to do)
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

I run prothane's mounts. Best example of a fast streetcar I know with these mounts is MIGHTYMOUSE 8.7 @ 159.... They definately won't let you down (especially if my hunk is fast compared to what you're looking to do)
How bout the trans mount ?? stock or Poly.. They say the MM should be harder than the trans mounts to avoid any flex issues - not sure but thanks for the info.

8.7 / quarter - thats fricken awesome. I want to keep mine a DD as of right now. Low to mid 11's would be fine...Looking at a couple of turbo's

Last edited by SSCAMARO02LS1; 08-10-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run a poly mount on the trans too. Only time I've heard of the twist being a problem is when someone puts a solid trans mount and leaves a set of rubber/poly motor mounts OR VICE VERSA. I'd probably still stick a poly trans mount in there if I were you.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

I have spohn solid / poly trans mount. I wouldn't go back. And yes, its true it raises the motor up to 1".
Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

brough, u have been a big help-Thanks. I will def go with a poly trans mount, still unclear on the MM tho. Who is running the best trans mount right now ?? Spohn has a nice one that claims it will keep everything straight and true, then theres ES and Prothane.

Thanks to u as well shiv15... every little bit of info is helpful.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the advantage of a poly trans mount?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

More solid mounting of the engine... Transfers power more efficiently
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by X-ray
Have you ever driven in one though? Not just any car, but specifically an LS1 F-body with Spohn Solids. I find them barely noticeable. I gave my sister's husband a joy ride tonight and he said he wouldn't have been able to tell I had solid mounts if I hadn't told him.

Yes, as I was tuning it. I could attribute some false knock to them as well.

There is NO need for them in a mild street car...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed... The only reason I would put solids on a car is if I had a mild turbo car with a kit like the PTK kit that burns up rubber/poly mounts. Otherwise I'd leave poly mounts until I had committed enough to putting motor plates in the car (which are soooooo sweet and make life much easier).
Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Much appreciation on the feedback to all - Big Help.

Some say the Prothanes are too hard... ES are too soft... ( i know, this sounds like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears ) and yes, I have a hard time making decisions. I want these MM's to last - not too concerned with the trans mounts, even I am pretty sure I can tackle those.

Anyone have any knowledge of the Spohn Poly MM's ?? Thanks again for the input.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned

What's the advantage to replacing the stocks with either? Is it normal to do this or just something to upgrade as the originals wear down?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More solid mounting of the engine... Transfers power more efficiently
I know the motor mounts do that, but I was referring to the poly transmission mounts. What advantage do they offer over stock rubber? More efficient power transfer, or less possibility of transmission damage from moving around too much, or both?

Originally Posted by TAHunter
What's the advantage to replacing the stocks with either? Is it normal to do this or just something to upgrade as the originals wear down?
It helps long tube headers to fit in easier, prevents y-pipes from banging on the floorboard, and transfers more power to the wheels.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Trans mounts do the same thing as motor mounts when you stiffen them up.... Keeps the drivetrain from twisting and dissipating HP

Quick Reply: Solid Motor Mounts or Poly