Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help, transmission fluid change

i have the T-56, i went and bought 5 quarts of dex/merc III, as i read on hear and on the tranny itself said to use, and a suction fluid pump to get it all in there, well i wanted to changet he fluid cause it said was recomannded to change every 25k-30k miles and i didnt know when it was changed last and 3rd gear is kinda weird in my car, kinda clicked/clunked into gear and sometimes poped out, so i looked up how to do it, pretty much like changin fluid on a Transfercase on a 4wd which ive done a bunch, so i went and drained it and then started addin the fluid in and right after about the 4th quart it started coming out the fill hole so i stuck the plug back in and tightened it down cleaned up the huge mass this made (had a stupid design on a drain pan and it missed 80% of the fluid) and went started it up and held the clutch in and put it through the gears and they felt a little stiff harder to engage so i was like hmm maybe its got to transefer all the fluid around again so i kept doing this going through the gears maybe 4-5 more times then tryed rollin back out the drive way and all, it felt ok no grinds or nothing but just hard to put into gear so i backed up forward back through diff gears, didnt change and took around the block was careful and on the way back shifted at like 3k rpms quickly and didnt seem to grind but deff not like before more effort and not as quick, and when i put it in a gear put back in N and left of clutch makes a slight clunk sound like the clutch disengaging which im pretty sure its never done before

im scared to drive it now and i dont want to mess anything up plz any help on if this is normal and my tranny is just F'ed in genral or if i missed a step or to much fluid or recheck it or if it needs time to break in or somethin, from what people said here it got rid of the roughness of shifting and all and kinda what i was going for but i got every gear rough now : \
Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

what did the fluid look like that came out?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

looked like new ATF fluid no weird colors or nothing or debri
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

my old t56 did the same thing the popin out of gear and stuff like that it sounds like ur syncros r goin what part of va u in?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

newport news, but like the tranny was fine to decent before change now it crunches every gear, if its got the right fluid in it and lvl is it ok to drive u think? but stop if it gets worse?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

i drove mine for a long time like that and was hard on it doin hard launches and shifting hard
Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

you think its all ok then? if it does start to get worse what should i do, might go take it for a drive and see if some of its in my head
Old 09-07-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

but one day i was runnin a bike on the highway and it finally went it just got stuck in gear and couldnt get it out it got stuck in 4th and i had 2 drive it home like this lol but like i said it took a while like 2 years it should be ok for now but if it gets worse i wouldnt drive it i also would start savin for a rebuild and call tick performance thats where i got my clutch from and they know everything about t56's
Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

that 2 lol did u just get the car?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

i got it probably 2-3months ago, put about 10k miles on it already, i dont dog it or nothing but i do get on it every now and then so, but dont ever miss or super slam gears or nothing, could it act like this if i over filled it some how? and could the clutch/clutch fluid have something to do with this, and is there anything RIGHT near the fill hole on the inside i could of messed up with a piece of rubber hose? felt it hit stuff inside a couple times when feeding it in