Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Insurance Question??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car Insurance Question??

Foresay you go to the drags and a tires blows or something like that and you hit the wall. Does/Will the ins. cover that? Didnt happen to me just wonderin.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.
But i've heard some take their cars onto the street, crash it again or stage it like they ran into a ditch and call the tow truck to tow it from there to a bodyshop and say it happened on the street.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
No.
But i've heard some take their cars onto the street, crash it again or stage it like they ran into a ditch and call the tow truck to tow it from there to a bodyshop and say it happened on the street.
So, i guess if you wreck it at the strip then it wont be covered?. But WHERE in the papers does it say that??? I have seen to where it doesnt cover "after market stuff" but never drag racing crap.. When we get ins. is that in the contract? Why wouldnt it not be? Its a street legal race and (i think a street legal race} Know what i mean... We pay more for ins. then any other vehicle (not rich) on the street.. What yall think?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trust me...... Your insurance will not cover you.. Yeah, it does suck... I used to pay more for my f-body insurance than I do now for my C5 insurance...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I work for GEICO... MANY policies specifically include any sort of racing, speed contest, anything track related (basically its broad enough that if you smack up in the parking lot of the track youre theoretically not covered). The ones that dont exclude racing, very likely if you tell them it was racing related they will drop you after the claim is paid. And the ones that do exclude it will drop you for telling them you race.

Im about as far as I can go in terms of advice, I absolutely dont condone what Midnight F117 said, as that is technically insurance fraud... All I can say on the subject...
Old 01-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

as mentioned... insurance most likely would not cover it... any "race against the clock" pretty much voids your insurance while you're participating in it... and if you get lucky and the insurance company does cover it... be prepared to get dropped very soon (which won't make you very appealing to other insurance companies)
Old 01-27-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
I work for GEICO... MANY policies specifically include any sort of racing, speed contest, anything track related (basically its broad enough that if you smack up in the parking lot of the track youre theoretically not covered). The ones that dont exclude racing, very likely if you tell them it was racing related they will drop you after the claim is paid. And the ones that do exclude it will drop you for telling them you race.

Im about as far as I can go in terms of advice, I absolutely dont condone what Midnight F117 said, as that is technically insurance fraud... All I can say on the subject...
Ok why don't you tell GEICO to stop sending me those real stupid junk mail, i never buy the savings BS they claim over other insurances. I called them one day and they gave me almost double of what i'm paying for current insurance, do you call that savings?!?!

Anything from them goes into the shredder before i even consider opening them up. They're lucky they didn't enclose a self addressed 'no postage nesscessry if mailed in the U.S.' otherwise i would've tapped it to a box full of rocks i plan to send to those who harass me via junk mail.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
So, i guess if you wreck it at the strip then it wont be covered?. But WHERE in the papers does it say that??? I have seen to where it doesnt cover "after market stuff" but never drag racing crap.. When we get ins. is that in the contract? Why wouldnt it not be? Its a street legal race and (i think a street legal race} Know what i mean... We pay more for ins. then any other vehicle (not rich) on the street.. What yall think?
Read the policy fine print...

Some insurance companies even cover illegal street racing, but not for drag racing, how is that?!

Ricer does a flyby, ricer crashes into car he was racing with, ricer gets car repaired from ricer's insurace.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok why don't you tell GEICO to stop sending me those real stupid junk mail, i never buy the savings BS they claim over other insurances. I called them one day and they gave me almost double of what i'm paying for current insurance, do you call that savings?!?!

Anything from them goes into the shredder before i even consider opening them up. They're lucky they didn't enclose a self addressed 'no postage nesscessry if mailed in the U.S.' otherwise i would've tapped it to a box full of rocks i plan to send to those who harass me via junk mail.

If you call them and ask to be removed from the mailing list we would be more than happy to do so.. Eveyrone there has access to the application to remove you.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some insurance companies even cover illegal street racing, but not for drag racing, how is that?!

Ricer does a flyby, ricer crashes into car he was racing with, ricer gets car repaired from ricer's insurace.
Depends on the situation, but yes youre right. Many policys however are writtien to deny your claim should you recieve a ticket for "speed contest" or something similar. Like I said about drag racing.... if its not excluded and theres proof you were racing, its very likely you'll be dropped.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Depends on the situation, but yes youre right. Many policys however are writtien to deny your claim should you recieve a ticket for "speed contest" or something similar. Like I said about drag racing.... if its not excluded and theres proof you were racing, its very likely you'll be dropped.
He is right. I am an insurance broker for many different companies and none of then would cover any kind or organized speed event(drag racing). Most however will cover street racing because in there definition it says "organized". Street racing you should be more worried with the ticket, in Pa i believe its a license suspension and your ins will go up alot.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

It all depends on the Insurance company...I went it to a ditch and my insurance covered new slp long tubes w/ y-pipe and a slp loudmouth...Brand new
Old 01-28-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

beside the fact you can go to jail for street racing, yet you pay to drag race lol
Old 01-28-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTYSON
He is right. I am an insurance broker for many different companies and none of then would cover any kind or organized speed event(drag racing). Most however will cover street racing because in there definition it says "organized". Street racing you should be more worried with the ticket, in Pa i believe its a license suspension and your ins will go up alot.
How about non-timed road course laps? It's supposed to be covered even tho it isn't an timed or competiton event?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

How about non-timed road course laps? It's supposed to be covered even tho it isn't an timed or competiton event?
Depends on the policy... Like I said, some policies are very broad when it comes to their definition of racing, some arent, you have to read what yours says as to whertehr or not its covered. Still AFAIK any track related accident can make your company find a way to get rid of you.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Angry Street Racing and Insurance

No. But i've heard some take their cars onto the street, crash it again or stage it like they ran into a ditch and call the tow truck to tow it from there to a bodyshop and say it happened on the street. - Midnight F-117A

Ricer does a flyby, ricer crashes into car he was racing with, ricer gets car repaired from ricer's insurace. - Midnight F-117A
You know, I've never flamed anyone on a board in my life until now. The guy asks to know about the policy exclusions, and after this type of advise, this guy will probably get 25 to life for insurance fraud and vehicular homicide. What a moron.

I don't know where you live, but do you really think that insurance and police personel are THAT stupid? You must be really thick. I'm not going to get into what insurance appraisers like myself look for, but most of the time we can tell if the damage matches the claim. So after you move your vehicle to that ditch (most likely a mile from the track, right genius?), don't be surprised if A) the insurance company denies your claim and B) the insurance company and the local prosecutors office decides to file charges. I HAVE seen this happen. The last conviction I recall (in Michigan) was good for 6 years.

As for street racing, this speaks volumes of your intelligence. A speed contest is a speed contest, even on the street. If the insurance company gets a copy of the police report and they find this was due to a street race, THEY WILL DENY YOUR CLAIM! And this includes the medical insurance for you and your unlucky passengers, any property liability damage (parked cars, buildings, etc.), or the other car you may have hit. And the reverse applies if dumbass number two hits you! Again, I have seen this happen. This is from 19 years of claims experience. Can you imagine how many years the jail sentence will be if you seriously hurt or kill someone during this street race??? 10 years? 25 Years? Do you REALLY want to take that chance???

I like racing as much as anyone (see my signature, I DO RACE!) but if you can't afford to roll your car up into a ball and walk away, you can't afford to race. I carry PL/PD if the race car hits the street, and my track carries it's own insurance to cover injuries and liability (notice they don't cover my car either).

There are a few companies (Parrish comes to mind) that insure race cars. These policies usually have high deductibles and a limit on coverages. If you're really worried about wrecking your car at the track and can't afford to walk away from your car, you might want to check this type of insurance out.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swifster
You know, I've never flamed anyone on a board in my life until now. The guy asks to know about the policy exclusions, and after this type of advise, this guy will probably get 25 to life for insurance fraud and vehicular homicide.
Bravo, defrauding the insurance company is a big deal and to assume that there is some sort of loop hole or something because your so smart is foolish. The last few years insurance companies have tried harder to cut down fraud and added pages of exclusions. Also bear in mind with all the personal injury attorneys looking work if you hurt someone you screwed.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

i wouldn't be surprised if there was a insurance man with a camera or notepad jogging down tag #'s. lol.

esp at track events like road atlanta and 'bama
Old 01-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

There's a difference between taking your car to a track and enjoying yourself, or wrecking your car. I usually overlook modifications (we're suppose to let underwriting know about this stuff) because this stuff may or may not be used in a responsible way. I like to give the benefit of the doubt. And hey, I modify my own cars. But there is a difference when it comes down to defrauding the insurance company.

When my Studebaker is finished, I plan on a few track days, but I'm under no illusions that my car is covered at the track.

By the way, someone in a earlier post wanted to know about autocrossing or Solo 1 style laps. My understanding as these are treated the same way. Now, I have autocrossed and have asked about this with supervisors and underwriters alike. They say these events are not covered, and a few even suggested that they would cancel the policy of anyone that they knew participated (must be the damage from all those pilons ) They couldn't grasp the concept of a LOW speed competition event. And timing lights are not the issue. A low speed PARADE lap would probably be covered. $7000 worth of damage to the front of your car is not a low speed parade lap!

My point is that, as a group, those racing on the street and/or defrauding the insurance companies raise the rates for everyone else (if it doesn't get you some jail time). This IS the reason the rates are higher on Camaros and Mustangs. The assumption is that if your rich enough to own a Corvette, you're old enough to know better. If you don't like the wording in the policy, find one you do like (95% are worded the same way). But telling someone else to take the chances that Midnight F117A suggested is just irresponsible.

Last edited by Swifster; 01-29-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

try the "i hit a dog" routine. Insurance fraud smerence fraud...insurance companies JUST LIKE ANY OTHER COMPANY in the US get to the top because of one very important business skill. Being able to Lie and then cover it up. plus its still a consumers business...customer is always right. If i say i hit a dog, i hit a fuggin dog. they are still getting money, im getting my car back, most likely someone else is playign 3rd party and is getting money...everyone is happy. its the U.S. its all about the green and this green aint smokable.