New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this how my cam shoud sound???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, you seem new to this and I believe the tune you're thinking of and the tune these guys are telling you to get are two different things. They want you to get what's called a baseline tune. It's not exactly close, but it takes into account your larger injectors, cam, and gears. It gets your car to the point where it's not going to hurt itself, but it's by no means perfect. If your computer thinks the stock injectors are in there, and you have much larger injectors, then it's going to open the larger injectors at the same rate it would open the stock ones and make it run pig rich. The computer doesn't know what injectors are in there, it only knows the parameters it has stored. Also, it probably wouldn't run with the stock injectors because it needed more fuel. Larger injectors solved that problem, but they'll also make it run very very rich.

Whoever told you to break it in before you tuned it, they were probably thinking of beating the **** out of it for a dyno tune. In that respect they were right, wait until it's broken in for a dyno tune. But you should 100%, without a doubt, no questions asked, ASAP get a baseline tune before your drive it anymore. Get the baseline, break the motor in, then take it to your tuner to dial it in and possibly put on a dyno.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
OP, you seem new to this and I believe the tune you're thinking of and the tune these guys are telling you to get are two different things. They want you to get what's called a baseline tune. It's not exactly close, but it takes into account your larger injectors, cam, and gears. It gets your car to the point where it's not going to hurt itself, but it's by no means perfect. If your computer thinks the stock injectors are in there, and you have much larger injectors, then it's going to open the larger injectors at the same rate it would open the stock ones and make it run pig rich. The computer doesn't know what injectors are in there, it only knows the parameters it has stored. Also, it probably wouldn't run with the stock injectors because it needed more fuel. Larger injectors solved that problem, but they'll also make it run very very rich.

Whoever told you to break it in before you tuned it, they were probably thinking of beating the **** out of it for a dyno tune. In that respect they were right, wait until it's broken in for a dyno tune. But you should 100%, without a doubt, no questions asked, ASAP get a baseline tune before your drive it anymore. Get the baseline, break the motor in, then take it to your tuner to dial it in and possibly put on a dyno.
yes i'm new to this and how you broke it down to me makes much more sense thank you for that i'm taking my car this thursday to get that baseline tune. thank you
Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Not necessarily. I have a 110 cam that sounds like that. Duration AND Overlap denote the "lope" sound of the cam, not just the lobe sep angle.

What exhaust do you have? That could be hiding a bunch of it. Get it tuned, but even that may dial it down quite a bit.

Here's mine, for reference. 224/228 .637 .639 110. Not the best video, but it will give you a basic idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNxs3m1E7g
I forgot to mention what exhaust it has its a 80 serious flowmaster.. Your car sounds good bro..
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
^^ Ovelap definitely has a HUGE part in what the cam idles like, not just the low LSA. (Random exaples: A 236/242 114 LSA with 11*(degrees) of overlap would sound pretty sick, where as a 228/228 110 LSA would only have 8* of overlap.)

(Intake + Exhaust)/4 - LSA * 2 = overlap.

For instance, yours would be 6* of overlap, so it will sound pretty healthy at the correct idle rpm, but nothing like a TRex or MS4 with HUGE overlap. But again, high idle is what's killing your lopey sound.
i just checked my car and its idling at 1000 rpm
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
I would think you car would sound something like this.... I'm idling at about 1100 on stock injectors. your cam is not that far off then what I have.... getter tuned!!!!!

http://www.streetfire.net/video/cam-...ned_493658.htm
My car does not sound nothing like yours. Yours sounds like a beast.. I'm getting her tune this thursday i'm getting that baseline tune.