Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Oil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Haha, I know what you mean. O well, time will tell this year whether it will be an issue or not, but you do have a good point.

BTW, where abouts are you located?
About 45min north of Eau Claire. You?

Mines stuck in a barn, it will hold temp better than a field lol but nothing like an attached garage.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Teching In

usually for winter storage I add 5 more lbs of air to the tires, put the battery on a tender, pack the tank with gas and add Stabil, and change the oil.Then just count the days down till spring
Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gocartone
About 45min north of Eau Claire. You?

Mines stuck in a barn, it will hold temp better than a field lol but nothing like an attached garage.
About 10 miles west of Oshkosh. A good drive away from each other it seems, lol

Originally Posted by 1ATony
usually for winter storage I add 5 more lbs of air to the tires, put the battery on a tender, pack the tank with gas and add Stabil, and change the oil.Then just count the days down till spring
Any reason why I should fill the tank up with gas? I was thinking it would be smart to put just a few gallons in (with the right amount of Stabil) and in the spring I could top it off with fresh gas.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Packing the tank with gas will help to keep air out of the tank,the liquid inside will prevent any air that might have been there from rusting the tank walls.If it's a steel tank that is.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Packing the tank with gas will help to keep air out of the tank,the liquid inside will prevent any air that might have been there from rusting the tank walls.If it's a steel tank that is.
99+ are all plastic tanks right? Mine was maybe 1/4 tank+Stabil.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Teching In

99+ are all plastic tanks right? Mine was maybe 1/4 tank+Stabil.
That's kind of what I figured, and why I said if it's a steel tank.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I normally keep the tank full as well. With the proper amount of Stabil the fuel will stay fresh until well past winter storage.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I normally keep the tank full as well. With the proper amount of Stabil the fuel will stay fresh until well past winter storage.
Does keeping the tank full help at all on a plastic tank car? Everyone always seems to say fill it up but I would rather put fresh gas in right after winter. I thought gas loses it's octane value over time, or does Stabil help with that too?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Does keeping the tank full help at all on a plastic tank car? Everyone always seems to say fill it up but I would rather put fresh gas in right after winter. I thought gas loses it's octane value over time, or does Stabil help with that too?
Well, both of the cars I currently store have metal tanks ('98 Z, '71 Nova). But, even when I stored plastic tank cars I still would keep the tank full, just to reduce the amount of air (and thus humidity) in the tank, so potentially less condensation could enter the fuel. I wouldn't call this a critical thing, especially with a plastic tank car that's stored indoors with less temp fluctuation, but it can't hurt so long as you treat the fuel to keep it fresh.

Stabil keeps fuel fresh, preventing aging and loss of octane. I normally use it year-round in my '98 car, as it only sees about 2-3 tanks of gas per year. This year I only drove the car 500 miles, last year was less than 200. Using Stabil, I've never had any noticeable octane loss or other fuel related issues with any car.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

RPM WS6 You and I think alike. I like your warm up procedure. I tend to do similar.
Stabil will hold octane IF you put it in right when you fill up. You can't wait a month and then add it or you have already lost octane rating. Which now is making me think I need to drive my car to run some fuel out because it's been about a month since fill up and I never added any stabil.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Stabil will hold octane IF you put it in right when you fill up. You can't wait a month and then add it or you have already lost octane rating.

Yes, agreed, that's a very good point that I forgot to mention. The fuel must be fresh, Stabil will not restore octane, only prevent it from being lost when added to fresh fuel.