Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about LS1 and 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about LS1 and 4l60e

A buddy of mine is doing a engine swap on my 2003 Infiniti G35. He's putting in a built ls1 with ported/polished heads, cam, pistons, rods etc. and a built 4l60e and topping it off with a 100 wet shot. I honestly dont know much about ls1's or 4l60's, I've done some research and this is where I run into my question. Is it possible for a ls1 to run 500rwhp NA with only ported and polished heads? If so is a BUILT 4l60 hes putting in going to be strong enough to hold with the strains of the nitrous? I've read of people running 600hp with no problems for years, and even in some cases up to 900hp. I've also heard of some people blowing their built transmissions barley making 450hp. I'm just confused on if the set up will hold. The car is my daily driver in the summer, and will it have the potential of one day running a single turbo with the no2? Any information will be greatly appreciated. (Some other info I know is he's putting a 3500 or 4000 stall edge tc, a B&M Trans cooler, a transgo shift kit and I believe he said .700 lift cam)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A legitimate 500rwhp on a 346 is REALLY tough. On ported OEM heads it is next to impossible and no way do I see it through your stalled auto because that will eat up 20-30 depending on the convertor efficiency.

The 60e question depends on his definition of "built". They can be built stronger than some guys give them credit for. It can get expensive depending how far you go. Common upgrade parts include the Beast sunshell, hardened intermediate sprag, hardened input/output shafts, 5 pinion GM planetarys, top shelf clutch pack and upgraded servos and the list goes on...... Edge is a nice vertor so good choice. If it is not a track ***** and it's built right it should do fine.....

Sounds like a great conversion. You should start a thread >>>>>> https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the the information, wow a tc can eat up to 30?!?! That sucks I was hoping I'd be able to get at least close to 500 NA. I guess that should of been expected even with ported heads. My buddy just pulled the engine and trans out of my G35 a couple weeks ago. I just sold the engine and I have the 5AT laying around if any of you are interested jk. I have a couple pictures of the engine and trans out of the car but, idk how to post them lol. They just finished the heads at the machine shop and im not sure if the tc came in yet. I'm glad to hear you say that the 4l60e if built right, can handle a decent amount of power. That was a really big concern of mine. So if you dont mind me asking what kind of power should I expect from this set up with a good tune? (I forgot to mention were doing all the bolt ons as well, headers, exhaust, ect).
Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by georgemarinakos
Thanks for the the information, wow a tc can eat up to 30?!?! That sucks I was hoping I'd be able to get at least close to 500 NA. I guess that should of been expected even with ported heads. My buddy just pulled the engine and trans out of my G35 a couple weeks ago. I just sold the engine and I have the 5AT laying around if any of you are interested jk. I have a couple pictures of the engine and trans out of the car but, idk how to post them lol. They just finished the heads at the machine shop and im not sure if the tc came in yet. I'm glad to hear you say that the 4l60e if built right, can handle a decent amount of power. That was a really big concern of mine. So if you dont mind me asking what kind of power should I expect from this set up with a good tune? (I forgot to mention were doing all the bolt ons as well, headers, exhaust, ect).

Though A4 cars are not dyno queens they shine at the track My old 346 with TFS as cast 220 heads made 434/400 on a medium 230/234 cam and FAST 90/90, so on a m6 car it should have easily broken 450....Bigger cam and a few more.... IMO 440-450 and you should be happy...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Good choice on the Edge TC, very nice unit.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that a lot of 4L60Es get hurt because they are
PCM controlled and people lie to the PCM all the time.
Everybody wants to "lean it out for power" and if they
do it by lying about airflow, that goes straight to
(believed) torque -> line pressure -> burnt frictions.
Not to mention there's some stupid stuff in some tune
files that if you peel back some limit values, you can
step right into.

I would recommend getting a good handle on the
trans settings before trying to make max power.
Also if he plans to throw it around corners maybe a
truck pan and truck filter could avoid some starvation
events.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the good info guys. I'll look into a truck pan and filter as well, it's always better to be cautious. Currently were looking into some bigger brakes to help with the extra wieght and power. I have the basic nissian calipers that came with the car. They had a hard enough time trying to stop my car when I had my aps single turbo on it, barley making 370hp. I'm thinking brembos all the other bbk's seem overpriced compared to them. One problem I'm having is trying find some DR's for my 19" rims. They're 275/35/19 do you know of any nice DR's I believe Nitto is the only company that makes the right size.

Quick Reply: Question about LS1 and 4l60e