New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted Thermostat? If So, 160 or 180?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted Thermostat? If So, 160 or 180?

Hello, new member here!

I recently purchased an 00' Trans Am and the engine rarely heats up to full operating temp. Usually, engine temp hovers at about the 1/4 mark and not at 12 o'clock. I live in chicago where there are freezing temps right now, and I should also mention that I only get around ~200 miles on a tank in mixed city/highway driving. I drive it pretty hard, but it still seems to me like I'm running rich and am pissing money away on gas. Also the car is an M6 and still has the skip shift feature. However, in the month I've owned the car the skip shift feature has only turned on a couple times since the engine usually doesn't reach full operating temp. All this information leads me to believe that the thermostat is stuck open. Car only has 15,000 miles on it.

So if I need to replace the T-stat should I go with a 160, 180 or something else? Anyone drive with a lower temp t-stat in the winter? Is there really any performance gain to be had with the lower T-stat on a stock engine? My dad has an LT1 vette and in the dead heat of summer the engine runs HOTT and cuts spark timing and really seems to reduce performance. LS1's have the same problem or not? I've also read about changing the temp at which the fans kick in, can this be done with an aftermarket tuner?

Sorry for all the questions, any input is appreciated.
-Jon
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run a 180* It should be fine all year long. That is **** poor mpg for an M6 car.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you dont really plan on hopping it up, then just go with the 180. Later on if you mod it, a 160 will contribute to the total performance of the combination of mods.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Launching!

hi,
160 or 180 should keep things cool
flush radiator and block/heater core. replace hoses if necessary and fill with coolant. remove any debris from radiator core/front. things should be nice and cool..........have a blessed day...........jim
Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SupersonicVette
Hello, new member here!

I recently purchased an 00' Trans Am and the engine rarely heats up to full operating temp. Usually, engine temp hovers at about the 1/4 mark and not at 12 o'clock. I live in chicago where there are freezing temps right now, and I should also mention that I only get around ~200 miles on a tank in mixed city/highway driving. I drive it pretty hard, but it still seems to me like I'm running rich and am pissing money away on gas. Also the car is an M6 and still has the skip shift feature. However, in the month I've owned the car the skip shift feature has only turned on a couple times since the engine usually doesn't reach full operating temp. All this information leads me to believe that the thermostat is stuck open. Car only has 15,000 miles on it.
Use a 180 stat. BTW the car runs rich untill it is at full operating temp. So that is why your MPG's suck.

Let your car warm up to temp be for you drive it and it will get better MPG's
Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CoastieWS6
Use a 180 stat. BTW the car runs rich untill it is at full operating temp. So that is why your MPG's suck.

Let your car warm up to temp be for you drive it and it will get better MPG's
160 is nice, cooler temps make things things last longer, electric and mechanical parts. and heat is suffient in the winter too
Old 02-05-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search on 160 thermostats there are some good threads where you can read all you need to know to make a decision on what stat you want. What i concluded was that unless your mods are making your engine run alot hotter it will do more bad than good. It seemed that everyone could at least agree that cars with big power adders such as boost can benifit from a 160, simple bolt ons should not matter or help having a 160, and this is assuming your going to program your fans otherwise it will be even more of a usless change. If i were you i would read up
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

My A4 car has the stock thermostat and warms up to operating temp on cold days much more quickly than my buddy's nearly identically modded car with a 160. If you were in Phoenix or Miami, I'd say 160 is fine. In Chicago, you want the 180.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i have used a 160 and a 180.........stock is 187.......in the cooler north i would use the 180
Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

i would go with a 180 stat or replace it with the factory stat. no doubt that cooler temps would provide more power but running your car at cooler temps can cause unnecessary wear on the motor. your stat being bad would also cause you to be in open loop thus wasting more gas.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is a really easy fix,1 hr .
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Go with stock, I've never been sure of performance of a 160 other than killing your heat. A friend put one in his 3rd gen and it never would heat up enough to go into open loop....horrible gas mileage. I've got a stock temp in mine.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SupersonicVette
Hello, new member here!

So if I need to replace the T-stat should I go with a 160, 180 or something else? Anyone drive with a lower temp t-stat in the winter? Is there really any performance gain to be had with the lower T-stat on a stock engine? My dad has an LT1 vette and in the dead heat of summer the engine runs HOTT and cuts spark timing and really seems to reduce performance. LS1's have the same problem or not? I've also read about changing the temp at which the fans kick in, can this be done with an aftermarket tuner?

Sorry for all the questions, any input is appreciated.
-Jon

Our engines are made to run at around AT LEAST 190f. I wouldnt waste my time or money with a cooler t stat than the stocker. If cooling is a concern then program the fans to what you want but you need the coolant to be around 190f and above. Oil temp needs to be warm enough to burn up moisture so the oil can do its thing. But if you wanna take your 200k motor and take some time off its life then go ahead, give into the 160 t stat sickness for 2 feakin hp.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

the engines run hot for emissions !!!! TRY THE 180......nuff sed
Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another +1 for the stock replacement.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Default hey supersonic.

If you think yout car will be getting overheated look up online for a fan switch. I have one for my 99 firebird 3.8 l . It works for the v6 & v8 and it runs you about 70$ it has a high and low fan settings. But be advice not to forget to turn it off when you turn off your car or it kills thebattery. its a simple plug in switch if it says its for your year and model. And when you have it off,the fan will still turn on automaticaly like if the switch was not ther hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Busted Thermostat? If So, 160 or 180?