Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input, LS1 TA vs GTO as a DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need input, LS1 TA vs GTO as a DD

what's up guys, been a lurker here for awhile, and now I am seriously looking into getting a ls1 trans am or 04-06 gto this summer but need some help and figured theres gotta be people on here that have daily driven both. The car would be my dd, i would be commuting to school which is like ~35 miles each way 3-4 times a week, looking for one with ~20/30k miles on it. Would also be a M6 and i would run dedicated snow tires in the winter. I have had some time with a gto, my dad has an 04, but 0 experience with a ls1 trans am. Im coming from a grand prix so this is a pretty big upgrade for me lol
Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually came from the 3800 world as well. You will LOVE the powerband of the LS1 dude, these things pull like frieght trains past 100 in comparison to an L67. With that said, I have heard GTO's are more comfy, but personally I would go with an f-body as they are cheaper, and then buy a beater for the winter. These cars are too nice to drive in the winter.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with the T/A it looks good and like stated above pulls like a frieght train.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BurninrubberGT
what's up guys, been a lurker here for awhile, and now I am seriously looking into getting a ls1 trans am or 04-06 gto this summer but need some help and figured theres gotta be people on here that have daily driven both. The car would be my dd, i would be commuting to school which is like ~35 miles each way 3-4 times a week, looking for one with ~20/30k miles on it. Would also be a M6 and i would run dedicated snow tires in the winter. I have had some time with a gto, my dad has an 04, but 0 experience with a ls1 trans am. Im coming from a grand prix so this is a pretty big upgrade for me lol
Only way for you to truly know if its right for you is if you go and drive a TA for yourself (and find a nice example, not something beat to hell and falling apart).
From my experience from being in a GTO, the GTO's got better fit and finish and a much nicer interior, its certainly more of a luxury car where as the TA is more of a brute, raw car. Out of the box the GTO will ride nicer and be more quite and calm. But you can do some simple mods to change the way an Fbody drives for comfort (like good shocks make a night and day difference, sound deadening material, etc.)
Also going to depend on which you think looks better, since they both perform pretty close.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta consider the F-body platform came out in 93 so it old tech and you cannot expect it to be as comfy and drive as nice as newer design such as a GTO...

What it does have going for it is price and bang for the buck. If you grew up on late 60's-70's muscle cars like me you might enjoy that raw unrefined feeling but I don't DD either so moot point.....plus it has Koni's, springs and sways so handling is much upgraded though it tends to ride a little rougher than a stock sprung car....

IMO DD=GTO and fun weekend car=f-body...
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
You gotta consider the F-body platform came out in 93
more like '67, but I think I know what you're getting at.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

i would say GTO. I had 04 m6 and miss it like crazy because i went from crappy 95z28 to that and back to 98 z28 HUGE step down. GTO interior is very nice and comfy IMO and backseats have plenty of room. To me GTO is way better in every aspect but i do love my ls1 z28 but GTO is more DD material for comfort and room
Old 02-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

I'm also originally from the 3.8L realm. I was extremely close to doing an L67 top end swap with full bolt-ons and possibly a cam and heads on my L36 Impala ex-police car. At the last minute I cancelled the part order, put the Impy on Craigslist and bought my T/A very soon after. The Trans Am just had so much more potential on the outside and alot more under the hood; I don't regret my choice at all.

I've driven a GTO once or twice, and I like the feeling I get driving the T/A better. I don't know how to describe it. The T/A has the big curves and sleek profile that just screams muscle car, and that's what I love
Old 02-08-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

DD its no contest. GTO
Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the LS2 GTO if you're going to go there...
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Think gas milage, the F-Body LS1 in good condition will average close to 25mpg. The GTO maybe 20mpg. That's got to count for something. I DD my 01' SS (430RWHP) and average 24mpg, no Goat on this planet can say that.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Launching!

I daily drove my 02 WS6 6 speed (bone stock) for about 2 months before I did any type of modifications, it got great gas mileage and the ride was overall pretty smooth. But im not going to be biased, get what you like and will enjoy driving everyday. Gas mileage favors the TA, comfort favors the GTO.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMSS
Think gas milage, the F-Body LS1 in good condition will average close to 25mpg. The GTO maybe 20mpg. That's got to count for something. I DD my 01' SS (430RWHP) and average 24mpg, no Goat on this planet can say that.
I can argue that. I own and DD both. My 382rwhp GTO (6-speed) averages between 24-26 mpg on the highway. My TA (auto) gets 28 mpg on the highway. I just read a post from a guy with a manual LS1 f-body. He had bolt-ons, ewp and averaged 32-34.5 mpg on the highway.

My GTO isn't stock, so it's not as fun to dd in the city, since the cam moved the power band up quite a bit. The TA with the auto makes a great dd in the city, except as others have stated, the ride is harsher. One thing I haven't seen other people talk about are the seats. The GTO seats are much more comfortable, but a lot wider. Where the TA seats hug my sides, and have power adjustable side support and lumbar, the GTO seats are manual lumbar only, and were built for really wide-framed bodies. I slide around a lot through the turns in my GTO.

If you care about rear seat leg room, the GTO wins hands down. However, it also has much shorter doors, so getting in and out is harder than in the TA. If you have children, or are thinking about them, '00-'02 TA's will have the top anchors for front facing child seats, and all GTOs have the complete LATCH system.

Trunks- The GTO has it's fuel tank mounted in the trunk, so you can't fit much back there- I get a backpack and detailing bag in and that's about it. However, in the TA, I've fit a 90gal fish tank, 9-10 foot Christmas tree, a half barrel keg and trash can, etc. back there.

If you're going to work on the car yourself, the GTO's engine bay will keep you from wanting to kick puppies whenever you work on the engine. The last time I changed the spark plugs (granted, the first time they were changed), my arms looked like I had gotten into a fight with a dog. The GTO's bay reminds me of an old-school bay where you can practically sit in there and work on it. If you're going to put wider tires on, I believe the f-body can take up to a 305-315 wide tire out back with maybe just a fender roll. To do that with the GTO you need a mini tub.

I know that was long, but I hope you found most of it useful. Just ask if you have any more questions, and I'll try to answer them.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the input guys! still havent made a decision, but I'm definately better off after this thread. I will definately try and test drive a TA once the weather warms up
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Havent owned a GTO or TA but i know my car is a bitch to DD. Feels like im rolling around in a tank, mind you i have blown rear shocks, M6, shitty roads with pot holes everywhere here, long doors, racing clutch, 5% tint, you name it. However, i would not have it any other way. Its not a very good DD for me, but the moment i get on the pedal (usually every time driving) im instantly satisfied. I also have replacement shocks waiting for me to put in. Seems to me that the GTO would be a better DD, but i think DD is absolutely relative. If you mean your wanting comfort, then yeah i would assume the GTO is the way to go.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Teching In

I assume he meant the 4th gen platform came out in 93 :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Either way you go its a WIN WIN.. But If you travel a lot or rack up a lot of miles Go with the GTO