New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Waste Money

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Waste Money

A good bit of info for new ls1 owners.. Dont waste money on headers, Cams Etc. These cars have alot of hidden power, take time to get the tune right which will require several trial and errors. I spent several hrs on the chassis dyno and tuning my 2000 z which is bone stock besides a vigilante converter and gear. The car has posted a best of 12.20 on street radials. If you want a different cam and headers thats fine but keep in mind, if you do not spend the correct amount of time on the dyno and computer tuning you are wasting your money. I have several friends that have gone that route and have taken 3 steps backwards to go 1 forward and it upsets them to know, I went the smart route and still run numbers there cars are trying to catch.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sord of want to keep my SS stock, it already sounds nice as hell, only thing I would do is the SLP lid w/ K&N filter and suspension work.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Yep do that and just spend the money on a day of tuning. If the car is a auto a 3600 Vigilante converter which will set u back 1000 bucks its the biggest benefit hands down for these cars, it gets that ls1 in the correct rpm range instantly, and drops 0-60 ets dramatically. Oh I forgot to mention my exhaust is bone stock beside single flowmaster muffler installed in the rear I even have factory tips re welded on. I wanted to keep my camaro basically stock and stock looking but run like a bat out of hell down the 1/4. I run alot of street stuff here in Michigan and guys are stunned at how well this car gets it being basically stock. I,m kinda hush hush on how I found the power,
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice, and good run on stock manifolds. What was your trap and 60' on that run? Did your car come with the SLP catback and lid?

EDIT: Just saw the exhaust in the post above, very nice times considering the exhaust
Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Can I actually have a dyno tune done to my car being stock? Cause I heard I cant do that unless I have headers done, or heard it was pointless. Ya it's auto, the Vigilante converter is a 1000 bucks and what is that?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

You can tune these cars at any step in the process, even stock. But if you plan on doing more mods to your car then having the car dyno tuned while it's stock is a waste of money IMO. Almost every mod that increases power will affect the A/F ratio and affect the tune.

Of course if you have your own dyno and can tune yourself all this goes out the window
Old 04-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Dude, I can't even put a air lid on lmao.

Really wish I have the ability to do all these mods myself, I need shops to do everything that require labor charge :/
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM

You can increase 30 + horsepower with a good tune on a bone stock ls1 trust me, it will take some patience and you need a chassis dyno to perfect it. I changed just about everything imaginable to gain my numbers , line pressure's, rpms changes and timing curves. The Vigilante torque converter is the best out there. I use a 3600 stall and a 4.10 gear with a bfg radial not drag radial 245 70 17. run 12.20 with lazy 60 and 109mph. I still think mine is not yet there my mile per hour seemed low comparing 60 ,1/8 1/4 mile numbers but im not complaining. A lot of guys make the mistake of wanting 350 -400 hp by changing cam, headers and and they actually go backwards to gain basically nothing, but noise
Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Ah, come on now, not knowing how and can't are different things. All you need is a screw driver, just unscrew hose accordian looking thing, disconnect everything attached to the stock lid, then put the better lid on and hook everything back up. 5 min tops and more horespower.

Although, I was in the same boat as you before I found this site. Now I have a faster car and a lighter wallet
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Ya thats the only reason I want headers and catback, for the noise lol. So your saying if i get a tuning without upgraded headers and catback I can gain HP like that?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM

I paid someone to tune mine but did alot of research before hand. I basically have a fraction into mine to run awesome numbers that most waste on un ness changes. I dont care about the cam lope or the noise I want fast from A -Z and I wanted to retain the stock stuff. You have to know a little about tuning yourself before you just trust someone else to tune it.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Wink

Originally Posted by misterscary
You can increase 30 + horsepower with a good tune on a bone stock ls1 trust me, it will take some patience and you need a chassis dyno to perfect it. I changed just about everything imaginable to gain my numbers , line pressure's, rpms changes and timing curves. The Vigilante torque converter is the best out there. I use a 3600 stall and a 4.10 gear with a bfg radial not drag radial 245 70 17. run 12.20 with lazy 60 and 109mph. I still think mine is not yet there my mile per hour seemed low comparing 60 ,1/8 1/4 mile numbers but im not complaining. A lot of guys make the mistake of wanting 350 -400 hp by changing cam, headers and and they actually go backwards to gain basically nothing, but noise

Full of Fail.

I would say the opposite. Don't waste your time and $$$ wasting both on tuning a dead stock car. If you are running 12.20, you could of had a 11 sec ride with just a hotcam.

Just think: all that effort you put in...will have to be replicated all over again when you find out you are still stock with a stall and need more power.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

"A lot of guys make the mistake of wanting 350 -400 hp by changing cam, headers and and they actually go backwards to gain basically nothing, but noise"

LOL! like really? you are confused arent you?

the problem some people have after a cam swap/tune is there is ALOT more power there. Now, the stock suspension will only get you so far. Suspension upgrades will need to be made, the right tire, driver etc. This whole cam theory going in reverse is a whole crock of ****. Dont fill these people's heads with bogus bullshit from what you think, when we have proven over and over and over again that cam swaps are on of the best mods you can do to wake these cars up.

FYI, I gained 61rwhp from a cam swap and a tune.....my trap speed went from 111 with just long tubes, to 116.xx on STREET tires.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Like I said guys I wanted to leave mine bone stock, I dont care about what you did with your cam and headers im talking bone stock . You spent twice what I did to run 11's bring your car to Michigan and Ill show you what a bone stock ls1 does to your so called 11sec ride. Im on street tires not drag radials too.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Really wish I have the ability to do all these mods myself, I need shops to do everything that require labor charge :/
I don't know that I would consider cams, headers, etc. wastes of money.

Are these motors full of potential stock? Yes, but that potential isn't lost by adding a better camshaft or headers. If your friends thought they were going to make those changes and not have to tune their cars they were seriously mislead at some point or another. I think the key here is when you get your car to the point you want to be or at a stage within your modding it is going to need a GOOD tune.

Nice times on, for the most part, a stock setup

BoricuaHec01, a lot can be learned on these forums. Do some reading and don't be affrais to ask questions
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Full of Fail.

I would say the opposite. Don't waste your time and $$$ wasting both on tuning a dead stock car. If you are running 12.20, you could of had a 11 sec ride with just a hotcam.

Just think: all that effort you put in...will have to be replicated all over again when you find out you are still stock with a stall and need more power.
exactly
Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Ya I think I'll able to install a lid myself, I want to add the smooth bellow too, get rid of accordion looking thing lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Look at ur so called mod list on your ss and you only run 11's ill run 11's with a 40 hit dry all day and mines stock. Its jack holes like you that dont read the thread correctly and run ur hole WERE TALKING STOCK DUMB A%$
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see a stalled, tuned , auto with tires running that time with perfect DA and it doesn't surprise me.. I can see it hit 11's with a severe weight reduction full suspension and better gears.. I'm mean seriously that time is good so props but your about at your limitations as fat as ET without a considerable among of money to be spent..
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by misterscary
Look at ur so called mod list on your ss and you only run 11's ill run 11's with a 40 hit dry all day and mines stock. Its jack holes like you that dont read the thread correctly and run ur hole WERE TALKING STOCK DUMB A%$
wtf? where do you see that I said I run 11's? you are starting to show how much of a ignorant newb you are.

how are you talking stock when your car isnt stock? A torque converter and 4.10 gears arent stock!!!!! your being nothing but a hypocrite right now.