New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trip untuned??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip untuned??

hey guys. in the process of buying an LS1, narrowed it down to 2.
my question is, ill be buying stock, and will be doing some shorty headers (need to keep cats for emissions), cat back, and a CAM.. now ive been reading up on cams and i still havnt figured out whats the most aggressive i can go without messing with my daily drivability. i love the thumpy bigger cams, and id like to get away without doing my heads, i need to have an A4 because of a bad left knee so im thinking a stall will be needed. ill still keep on reading up on cams and figure it out myself. REAL question is. is it THAT important to tune right away. the guy tuning will be a 5 hour drive. will it be safe sporting those mods without a tune for a while (no racing) ??
Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think you would be better served to go with a less extreme cam and use the savings to do an intake swap. these no point to throw in a monster cam and not have the nessesary mods to suport the cam. cams heads and intakes all go hand in hand. do the intake swap with a cam that will max the stock heads potential combined with the other mods you have plan and you should come out with a beautiful DD. and if it were me id deff get the tune when were done
Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 PM

great thanks, i wasnt planning on getting the bigest cam, just what i cam that i can get away with without doing heads. i would be getting a tune for sure but as i stated, is it ok to put a few hundred miles on it before tuning?? wouldnt hurt anything?
because i have a modded L67 car and it gets to be on the danger side sometimes without a tune. KR goes through the roof!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Driving a cam untuned all depends on how big of a cam you go with. You could always get a mail order tune to allow you to drive to a dyno.

Fyi, you don't need to get heads even with a large cam.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

What size cam are you looking at getting? A stall will be a good investment for any cam, and a MUST for larger cams. As far as driving it to the tuner, if it's your only option then go for it (try to trailer it if you have that option though). Just don't go WOT. Depending on the cam, it may die on you quiet a bit, so you may have to drive with both feet.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 PM

im not sure on the cam yet.. still doing my research. trying to learn as much as i can instead of asking "the question" ..which cam should i use lol. dont wanna get yelled at.

the drive would be about 5 hours of mostly highway. ill see if i can find someone local. here in Canada we're a little more limited. its a little more vast and its not uncommon to drive 300 miles to get good in car or dyno tune. no choice really, it sucks when big cities are that far apart.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look into this and see if anyone chimes in around your area.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/canadian-...ne-canada.html
Old 04-09-2011, 04:30 PM

ya i posted some stuff in there. we'll see what pops up,
thanks for the help
Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Couple of opinions here. My last car had a 598 596 lift cam installed with lt headers and it wouldn't even idle without 25% more fuel. I seriously wouldn't drive with even a remotely aggressive cam. Oh and my opinion don't waste the money and labor installing shorty headers. You can still get aftermarket cats on w long tubes. I know my car is stock but that's just because I traded my hardtop SS hotrod to someone who will race it like she needed.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Def go with lts and catted y