New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a highflow air filter, I need to oil this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a highflow air filter, I need to oil this?

This is the first time I've ever owned a reusable highflow air filter. I put it in a couple days ago and was about to throw the box away, but decided to read the back of it first.

It says oil it after each cleaning on the back, but there are no further instructions included with it. So, what kind of oil do I get and do I need to oil it now even though it's new? Here is the filter I bought from ws6store:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2114
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

Looks just like a K&N so you should be able to use their kit. However if you research reusable filters here, you will find a lot of people don't like them do to the oil causing problems with the MAF. My car had one when I bought it and I replaced it with a paper filter right away. If you decide to use it it will be oiled when you get it and will not need oiling until you clean it for the first time.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyfan
Looks just like a K&N so you should be able to use their kit. However if you research reusable filters here, you will find a lot of people don't like them do to the oil causing problems with the MAF. My car had one when I bought it and I replaced it with a paper filter right away. If you decide to use it it will be oiled when you get it and will not need oiling until you clean it for the first time.
imagine how much power you will lose with that paper filter once the mods start adding up
Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

It was probably already oiled when it got sent to you was it sealed in plastic and when u clean it they probly have a oil kit for it or can probably use a k&n filter oil kit just make sure you oil it after you clean and dry it because the filter is useless without oil in it oh and after you oil it let it dry or like said before the oil can get on your maf and make it go crazy lol
Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by |2ocky
imagine how much power you will lose with that paper filter once the mods start adding up
Yeah, I am sure that fraction of 1 horsepower will kill me.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by |2ocky
Regardless of what advertisements say there is really no gains on K&N or any "high flow" filters opposed to paper filters on LS1's. The only reason to go with one is so you don't have to replace it and can just clean it. As far as intake and filter the only gains on our cars is the lid which usually adds around 10 HP. Its retarded to actually think that adding a high flow filter is going to provide another 10 on top of that.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is not the oil, it's the person over-oiling it.

I've used K&N filters in several vehicles without any problems at all. You just have to be very patient to use them.

Patient when you clean them.

Patient when you let them dry overnight.

Patient when you oil it properly (and don't spray a lot extra due to your impatience to not properly spraying and letting it soak in, spraying a letting it soak in, until you see even coverage.)

The silicon report in my used oil analysis' showed it was filtering as effectively as paper filters. Whether it flowed better, who can tell.

The siren song of extra horsepower oft' o'erwhelms the sense G#d gave us to not spend $50+ on an air filter. I not longer use them.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah don't use an excess amount of filter oil when you re-oil it and you'll be fine
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fbodyfan
Yes dude I needed to read this. I'm so dumb it all makes sense now. My car started "choking" like symptoms in the 2 -3 rpm range. After much debate about what it could be I replaced the MAF and that solved the problem. Now a year or so later same symptoms, and thats the reason why.... Stupid K&N air filter puking oil on my MAF, I totally oversoaked it with oil last time I recharged. Damn that air filter I was suspicious all along. Paper filter's from now on.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BitchinBird
Yes dude I needed to read this. I'm so dumb it all makes sense now. My car started "choking" like symptoms in the 2 -3 rpm range. After much debate about what it could be I replaced the MAF and that solved the problem. Now a year or so later same symptoms, and thats the reason why.... Stupid K&N air filter puking oil on my MAF, I totally oversoaked it with oil last time I recharged. Damn that air filter I was suspicious all along. Paper filter's from now on.
It wasn't the filter's fault that you over oiled it. Hell, you said so yourself. You want even coverage and then let it "dry" for 24 hours. I've never had issues with a K&N in any car i've had.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

I did the same thing with a 4runner I had. Junked the MAF sensor because I put too much oil on the filter. Just "lightly" lol.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol, up to 10 hp gain my ***... K&N filters and similar are overrated. But i guess people dont buy them for power but for reusability
Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BitchinBird
When you don't follow directions and use products the way there not intended to there not going to work properly. Think about what you said, its like saying " I bought a stock Z/28 that redlines at 6k RPMs, but I reved it to 10k RPM's and the engine blew, damn GM for making a crappy engine" or "I bought a car that takes 4 quarts on oil, but I put 12 quarts in and its not operating correctly, what a horrible engine"

Quick Reply: Bought a highflow air filter, I need to oil this?