New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't I spin my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Topgeer 97's have the lt1 1998 to 2002 models are ls1.OP you need more power if you want to be lighting the tires up from low speed's.Once you have that power you are gonna not want to burn out and hook so maybe you can win a race once in a while instead of blowing your tires off during the launch,burnouts are fun and all but these cars are capable of so much more(like blowing the doors off those underpowered mustangs that are great at whipping donut's and burning out ! )sorry mustang guys ,nothing personal!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chaman
Whats with this obsession of lighting up tires and ****?? Please is not like the act of lighting tires correlates with how fast a car is, its just a car loosing traction. This feels like the type of conversation high school teenagers have....
Thats funny. I have been in that stage ^ and now that I have a h/c/n ta I just hope and pray it hooks when I hit 150 shot out of the hole
Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe ur car is a lemon........or the check driver light might be on check your throttle cable and then go from there
Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

I could smoke my tires on stock 98 easily as you describe.

I haven't attempted burnouts on my newest fbody - but at 380/380 dyno'd I don't think it'll be a problem
Old 04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Take the bezel from around the radio, if it has a male plug going into the rear of it by the fog light switch. You need the traction off plug that is made by SLP model 63015. TCS Logic Module 1999-2002 Camaro/Firebird. Cars came with a low traction system but no switch to turn then on or off. This module disable the system completely. Put this on my 02 Camaro.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even my 1999 Formula with burn them off at will anything under ~30mph, and it has a 2.73 rear, automatic, 285s on the rear, and 110k miles! Must be a tune up or traction control/brake issue.

I agree loss of traction is bad, BUT on the street, any car running street legal tires with AT LEAST stock amount of power should be able to spin the tires at will.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

idk I think it probably is my clutch because I've been told by a tech it feels wore and I have got the tires to burn all the way through first and second but only on random occasions it seems my clutch isnt grabbing like it should. Who knows I don't really care anymore I'm getting the car dynoed Saturday so we'll see what happens.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you sure you don't have traction control ?maybe you need to clean your MAF,or injectors.take a look at your clutch and pressure plate.go to TSP and look for a good cam kit.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

This is my car but I did not make the make video (I DID NOT PICK THE SONG) but this is what my 274,000 mile car will do all day long till you take your foot off the gas or it runs of gas. It is a blast to be rolling about 20 and stomp it but it stinks on rainy days.

http://youtu.be/257szJ5hl90
Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Clyde H Frasier Jr
Take the bezel from around the radio, if it has a male plug going into the rear of it by the fog light switch. You need the traction off plug that is made by SLP model 63015. TCS Logic Module 1999-2002 Camaro/Firebird. Cars came with a low traction system but no switch to turn then on or off. This module disable the system completely. Put this on my 02 Camaro.
really?.......they put traction control on some cars without a switch to disable it?......that seems kinda shitty, way to go GM......if this is the case, he wouldn't be able to spin his tires at all at any speed......
Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

I can tell you for a fact, when my WS6 was bone stock, it WOULD NOT burn the tires off just by smashing the gas. Dump the clutch and you have a nice smoke show. But stock, by smashing the gas it wouldnt break them loose. No worries. Take it to the track and let me know what it runs. Hell, even with bolt on's it wouldnt demolish the tires. Now, put heads/cam on, and even on DR's on the street, was worthless until you hit 3rd. I always through it was weak too, until I ran solid mid 12s with bolt ons and mid 11's at 118 with the heads/cam. Its normal man, dont sweat it.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Agreed. When I had old tires they would spin all the damn time. When I got new bfg's I could got WOT from a stop and hold traction all the way home, even alright on a clutch drop. No sweat, if you need to warm em just do a drop and be glad you can hook right now
Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting thread.

As for blowing the tires away in 1st gear at 5-10 mph.....let's say you simply let out of the clutch and the car creeps forward on idle (your left foot is now completely off of the clutch). You give it just a hint of gas to get the speed up to 10 mph and then you slam the gas. If that's what you're talking about I'm not surprised you're not lighting the tires up. You're pretty low in the power band there and it may take a second for the motor to spin up to a higher part of the band to overwhelm the tires.

I'm making right at 600 rwhp on a 150 shot of N20 and I'm not getting much (if any)wheelspin by just hitting the gas from a 5 roll (barely coming off an idle). Coming off of the clutch from a complete stop is a completely different result. Hitting the gas at 25 is also a completely different result (much higher in the band).

I imagine your buddy in his GOAT is spinning the tires by lightly revving it and dumping the clutch (shock the system approach).
Old 04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99w69kitt
Thats funny. I have been in that stage ^ and now that I have a h/c/n ta I just hope and pray it hooks when I hit 150 shot out of the hole
So funny and so true. Sure it's cool to light the tires up into a cloud of smoke (which can be accomplished by simply dumping the clutch), however when I'm lined up against another car I'm most concerned with how in the heck I'm going to get it to NOT spin! Spinning is like watching all of that excess HP just getting pissed away!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its funny that this is such a hot topic
Old 04-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Default The right gear?

I have a 2000 camaro z28 cold air intake cat back and a custom tune 290hp
dynoed to the tires what would be the best gear for drag raceing. I still drive
it on the high way some time and dont want to kill gas mpg.Is 373 to much?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F7ISH
I have a 2000 camaro z28 cold air intake cat back and a custom tune 290hp
dynoed to the tires what would be the best gear for drag raceing. I still drive
it on the high way some time and dont want to kill gas mpg.Is 373 to much?

There have been topics like this already, a search would help you out a lot (as would more details about your car). 3.73's on an auto seem to be pretty good (will effect gas mileage, but "best gears" for drag racing aren't the same as best street gears), and 3.73's on a manual won't really affect fuel economy a ton.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Wow didn't know this thread would get so popular lol. Well I'll just come out and say it then when I first bought my car from the dealer it had 44k miles and its next service was at 48k. I took it to the track about a month after owning it and ran a 14 flat with out WOT in first just a baby launch. After I got done I noticed my oil pressure dropped to 25 psi I freaked out let the car sit and later when I started it back up it was normal. Oil change light came on a few days later but I was told that they prolly just forgot to reset it so I drove it for another month or so and then changed it cause I was paranoid. Car now has 47k miles. It has never really ran the same since and it feels like I keep losing a little power the more I drive the car. I'm afraid my engine is screwed and its not making its original power I used to have. This has haunted me ever since and I think that is why I'm at a loss of power and cant burn the tires like I used too. Could I have a performance shop tear into my engine and check it for abnormal wear? Cause I want someone who has some what experince with ls1's to look into my car.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Teching In

I wish I had your problem. I spin on 30-40 rolls but I'm modded up. Umm it can be several different things. Something as simple as tire pressure being to low to a slipping clutch. I would have to guess with the info provided that your tires are rather wide for stock power and just might be grabbing better than you think. If you really want to burn the tires rev high and dump the clutch. That should be sufficient.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run new Michelin Pilot Sports ps2's and from a 5-10 mph roll, slam on the gas --- no spin. They hook up and go, shift hard into 2nd and they grab without any protest. Not cheap tires but they are worth it. They do wear down quickly for a street tire but you'll get more life out of them than a drag radial and almost equal the traction.

The only time they'll spin is if I dump the clutch or find myself on some questionable pavement where traction is not ideal.

Mine is lightly modded and I believe good tires help prevent tire spin. I've seen some cheap tires go up into a ball of smoke convincing their owners they have more torque than their car can handle, but the reality is they're running on some junk/old tires.

Of course there's always the exception of guys putting down 450-500+ to the rear wheels and traction will be a problem no matter what tires you're running.

Quick Reply: Why can't I spin my tires?