Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA Clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSRA Clearance question

Anyone ever have any clearance problems at the bottom in front where the opening sits in front of the air dam?

I'd like to get one of the set-ups, but I'm concerned about how it sticks out at the bottom in front. I've lowered my Z28 and I can just see myself cracking that front piece on a steep driveway or a cement tire stop or curb.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dans00Z28
Anyone ever have any clearance problems at the bottom in front where the opening sits in front of the air dam?

I'd like to get one of the set-ups, but I'm concerned about how it sticks out at the bottom in front. I've lowered my Z28 and I can just see myself cracking that front piece on a steep driveway or a cement tire stop or curb.
This is a concern and you have to be careful. I have one on my car and it is lowered with the Eibach pro kit. I'm pretty careful. I take driveways at an angle and park short of curbs. I haven't hit it yet. I'm now producing the SSRA2. This is the SSRA without the scoop. This is very similar to the FTRA or SLP. The SSRA2 price is $129. Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails SSRA Clearance question-ssra2-small.jpg   SSRA Clearance question-ssra259-small.jpg  
Old 02-22-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSRA2? isnt that just half of a SSRA? who would want that?

as far as the lower scoop,
the air dam sits considerably lower
(but further back)
so even now i park with the nose going onto the sidewalk until the tires hit the curb. it looks really cool cuz the noses of the other cars stop at the curb but my car looks like its taking a bite out of the sidewalk. kids and women always stare at it now with the ws6 hood. the guys just try not to stare in order to look cool, but they look twice.

im sure youre used to your car and you know what will scrape your air dam.
well, if your air dam will clear, so will SSRA.
that is what you get for lowering your car anyway.
YARRR
Old 02-22-2004, 02:02 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine on for 1 whole day before the bottom got ripped off on a parking block. I tossed the bottom part in the trunk. It's still there.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Stone0fFire
anyone looking for a better setup than stock. the ssra2 is pretty much the same thing as the ftra, so its not like it would be useless. plus you dont have to worry about damaging the scoop on curbs
Old 02-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

ive had it for about 2 months now and i have no problewhat so ever.. my car is lowered with the DMS springs and i men it doesnt really hit anything... im usually careful about that stuff.. as long as your smart anough not to hit curbs or parking stoppers then youll be fine... i have yet to hit anything with it
Old 02-22-2004, 03:44 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Guess I'm a moron.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

First off thanks for purchasing the SSRA. As far as your comment goes, if someone has a concern about clearance than maybe the FTRA2 is for them. It's basically the same thing as a FTRA or SLP cold air kit. However, it's larger, seals better, doesn't heat soak, easier to install, and is made in America unlike the FTRA.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

if you get the SSRA2,
be sure to get the separate lower scoop with it, ha.
i noticed a greater improvement from the SSRA
than from the TSP lid (supposedly the best design yet)
the SLP 85mm MAF (only helped part throttle)
and from the GMMG (i was surprised at this)
ive never heard anyone else mention this,
but the exhaust sounds slightly deeper
and you can hear the intake a little.
this is over the non-ws6 trans am induction.

you know where the front end of your car is,
i mean, you can park facing a wall without hitting it, right?
then you should be able to keep from breaking things underneath your car.

to me, the SSRA is well worth the caution i was already exercising.
i am not any more cautious and it is fine.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:50 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I'm already creeping over speedbumps due to headers and duals. But parking is a necessity. When a product is designed without parking curbs in mind, then it's a bad design. When one can't pull up to a parking stall, that's a problem. I'll just put the bottom half on when I go to the track.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Can somebody tell me why these kits are so expensive? Doesn't it seem like it would be easy enough to make one out of sheet metal from home depot yourself? I know the ssra is abs plastic and won't heat sink, but it seems like it would be easy enough to make one yourself that would work just as well.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by White2kTA
Can somebody tell me why these kits are so expensive? Doesn't it seem like it would be easy enough to make one out of sheet metal from home depot yourself? I know the ssra is abs plastic and won't heat sink, but it seems like it would be easy enough to make one yourself that would work just as well.
because people who can afford the ls1 can afford to pay premium prices like $400 for a cam whereas the same **** for small block chevy is $60-$80. look at their $120 headers, and for us $750. $850 for two crappy muffs, pipes and tips. $950 for a tc. its for research and development, not just materials, they say. but i think they know damn well even though i bitch, im going to buy it anyway. i hate to promote these overpriced products, but when people ask whats my fav catback, and whats the best street/strip converter, i gotta start naming big names, and they know they are the best. overall, i thank them more then i damn them. sometimes. what we need is competitors to either raise quality or lower price or both. although SSRA is approximately the same price as the other one, at least they have improved on the idea and quality.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Teching In

It's not the curbs and parking blocks I'm concerned with, it's driveways. I do take driveways at an angle, but still, maybe once a week or two I can hear the air dam scrapping the pavement. I may take a look at the SSRA2. I put on the eibach Prokit and it dropped my car about an inch and a half.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

you can always tri some of the botom off the ssra i mean all it is is plastic... a few inches wouldnt hurt...
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

hey man..
a few inches goes a long way
it could be the determining factor!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:55 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

hey man..
a few inches goes a long way
it could be the determining factor!

As with many other things in life....
Old 03-10-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine has been on for a year and I only scraped it one time. That was at a Jewel Food Stores parking lot. The entrance was such a huge incline that it scraped the bottom when I hit it at about 10 mph (I should have been going slower I guess).

But parking blocks have never been an issue for me. I stop my car when it's a few inches from the block and all is well. Love the SSRA ram air kit. Nice product!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still dont see how anyone could break the SSRA from a curb. In order to bump the SSRA scoop, the nose of the car would have to be nearly scraping the curb itself...maybe it's just me, but I am more careful than that.

I have had an SSRA on my car and I never had a problem, even going in and out of driveways and over speedbumps in our parking lot. Of course, I take care to slow down...the air dam scrapes, but the SSRA never scraped. Just went slow and at an angle...no problems...I also had the Eibach Pro-Kit at the time.

The SSRA fit very well...

-Mike
Old 03-10-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like my SSRA. It gave me an honest 1.5-2 mph in the qtr. I've never scraped it either, but I'm also aware that the scoop in down there. I fail to see how a HP making product is a bad design. I mean it sets higher than the air dam.. That's like saying everyone should quit buying slp lt's because they hang lower than pace setter headers. I guess this could be debated for ever, but I like mine, Fred
Old 03-10-2004, 09:50 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fred99LS1
.. That's like saying everyone should quit buying slp lt's because they hang lower than pace setter headers...
Oh, I have those too... bad design applies in that case also. Sure, they make HP, but they also scrape on speedbumps.
Bottom line, the SSRA and the SLP's make power for ya, but at the cost of not being able to enter and park at certain shopping centers and office complexes.
Did I mention I can't go up certain parking garages?
Oh, anyhow, I prefer having horsepower, but people should know what they're getting into.
Bad design for convenience, good design for results. I think as an industrial designer/ engineer, one should try to achieve both, especially for daily driven vehicles.