New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 year old + LS1 = ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone else has said, respect the car and be careful. Now, granted I dont have an LS1, I'm in your shoes too. I bought my 94 Z28 6spd in September when I was 16. The car was basically stock with a few minor bolt ons. Its was a cool car to learn on and a blast to drive. The first time a went WOT, I almost **** myself, because i was completely sideways. Since I got my licence in January, Ive done lots of mods and have had a lot more seat time. You will learn the limits of yourself and the car the more you drive it. Now my low 13 second car feels like a dog (time for more mods). I think you will enjoy the hell out of the car, and have fun at the same time. Take it to the track and enjoy (although idk about where you live, but by me any vert running faster than 13.50 needs a cage).
Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just learn how it drives after a couple months before you start messing with it as we all do. Having a fast car is bound to get you into something so there's really no avoiding it if it's going to happen. Just be as cautious as can be when you decide to go full throttle. Had my car given to me at 18 and did my share of dumb things
Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrite thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Teching In

I'm 16 and I drive my 99 T/A LS1 daily. Like everyone else said, know what youre driving and dont be a dipshit. Been pulled over a few times for no front plate and "loud exhaust" so far. Cops just want to make sure I have license/insurance since I havent gotten a ticket yet. I have a lid, MAF, 3.73's and Loudmouth cat back and im pretty happy so far. Have fun with the car
Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you i will
Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Teching In

I'm 16 and have a 02 Z28. They have tons of power and are really quick. I have SLP cat-back, lid, gears and stock LS6 intake. Love it.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

im 17, first car was lt1 a4 trans am, 2nd car was lt1 m6 t.a, both sold, now i have a2000 z28 with headers, ls6 intake, catback, ory, slp flo pac, 160* thermo, set of zr1s and love every bit of it, just be think befor you do stupid stuff and u will be fine. dont think with the gas pedal cause you will end up breakin the car. ,
car sounds nice and good luck wiht it
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

As everyone says, respect it. You never know what will happen. I was 16 and wrecked my first camaro at 120. Spent 4 months in a wheelchair, 16 broken bones, bruised lungs, lacerated liver, unconcious for a week. I've never been quite the same. But it tought me a whole new respect. All that because a buddy wanted to race. Take it from someone experienced in the rough side of life, RESPECT what you've got, there's no guarantee of tomorrow.
Aside from that, definitely start with exhaust, catback system Y-Pipe, then headers, intake, subframe connectors (should probably come first actually) if you start getting real serious about it, cam, gears, 9" rear end, then you'll start having to go to a performance clutch and building your transmission
It's a great car to have, putting your own work and money into it will make everything infinitely better and please you so much more. Just be smart and responsible. I've also had my license taken from me 2 different times for too many tickets, and DUI. You'll beat yourself up every day if you ever do that. I learned to drive on a Corvette, your start to driving sounds pretty cool with your dad and brothers camaros and the duramax. Don't ever turn to the stang-side, us here on LS1Tech will hunt you down, lol. Good luck with the car man
(sorry bout the LOOOOOONG post)
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

No thank you very much for that long post I really appreicate that i rather learn from other people expierences instead of making my bad ones. Thank you so much this is a huge help.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

You have to have respect for the car, and how powerful it is. Drive it smart and don't overdrive your abilities.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

God bless you son. You are very, very fortunate to own such a car at that age. Only in my dreams I would have a car like that at 16. Enjoy it, and be careful, not only with the car but with the hot chicks that would love to take a ride with you....if you know what I mean...
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chaman
God bless you son. You are very, very fortunate to own such a car at that age. Only in my dreams I would have a car like that at 16. Enjoy it, and be careful, not only with the car but with the hot chicks that would love to take a ride with you....if you know what I mean...
What he said ^
Old 06-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Wow...must be nice. I think would have killed myself if I had a ls1 when I was 17. I did some crazy stuff in my 82 camaro 305 that's not as nearly strong as a ls1.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperSam
Wow...must be nice. I think would have killed myself if I had a ls1 when I was 17. I did some crazy stuff in my 82 camaro 305 that's not as nearly strong as a ls1.
I'm telling ya.
No wonder there is so much fowl language in here its full of teenagers.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

I got mine when I was 16 and I'm 20 now. I was reckless and stupid (raced, topped the car out ect) but luckily I never got injured and I'm not really into that stuff anymore plus with gas being the way it is, I don't wanna stomp on it. I spun out once because I hit gravel on a tight turn and added too much gas. You have to watch out for these cars they can get tricky at times if your not use to it. The first mod I did was my loudmouth and I love it
Old 06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Careful and good luck.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

hey bro, I am 16 and I have had 3 ls1 camaros. My dad is a dealer and I have the advantage to keep any of the cars he has on his lot for however much time i want. My first car was a 1999 camaro z28 m6 black (which i regret letting go). Then a couple months later I got a 2000 camaro NBM z28 that was an a4 and had some mods done to it and sounded like a beast. It was a fun car but i sold it and a month ago he bought a white 2002 z28 a4 which was also a fun car. I had lots of fun with it and taken the ttops off all the time. No doubt they are fun. I learned a lot of things and did some stupid stuff with it and almost crashed ... and my advice is to only floor on straightaways if you really need to... cuz on turns these things SPIN out .. like they have the worst handling ever haha.. just be careful and have your fun.. but be safe and responsible about it... and before these ls1s i drove a 1994 camaro v6 3.4 litre and i did my stupid stuff with that too .. when i drove that, i felt like i was driving a race car haha.. like once i started racing this dodge charger hemi with it and almost crashed in the car in front of me for not paying attention .. and a lot of your friends are going to want to race you.... DONT DO IT... a lot my friends tried to race me, but I said i'll pass because i know my car is the baddest and fastest car in my school parking lot lol.. so just be careful man.. sorry for the long post
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just need to respect the power and know the car and your limits.
I'm 21 and i got my T/A when i was 17, never crashed it but the times i should have been ticketed or worse...
What i said in the first sentence i believe covers all the bases. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

cuz on turns these things SPIN out .. like they have the worst handling ever haha

They don't have poor handling, you just don't know what you're doing.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

You'll be fine just make sure you have some decent tires, take your time and learn the characteristics of the car. Your biggest problem will be with the cops, they tend to hassle young kids with fast cars.

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
I hate to say this but I can't believe parents let their kids drive fast cars. Be careful is all I can say. Your parents are giving you the benefit of the doubt. I bet if you screw this car up you will not get another sports car for a very long time.
I'd rather give my kid a car that is meant to perform at high speeds than a "regular" car. If they're gonna crash, they'll do it in any car the least you can do is give them a fighting chance.

Quick Reply: 16 year old + LS1 = ????