New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 year old + LS1 = ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive it stock for at least two months before you think about modding it. I personally think they're slow as hell stock, and are extremely easy to drive, but when I was 16, I know that I would have had issues keeping that much power under control. First mod you'll want to do is some good tires, then start doing bolt-ons like lid, catback, etc.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first car at 16 was a 98 v6 firebird i constantly beat on that thing and at the time i thought it was pretty quick. you dont need to be gassing these cars to get out of control, i put mine into a tree after hydroplaning at about 40mph. never had any tickets never been pulled over, nothin.. and my parents wouldnt let me get an f body for the next 2 years. i'm 20 now and have an 02 z28 and cant even look back at how dumb and reckless i was with that little 3.8L. i couldnt bare to see an LS car wrapped around a tree. Good luck and take it slow
Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camross998
it a bad idea dude you could get hurt or kill yourself or someone. at the age of 17 hell i couldnt drive tht well and then throw in a highly unpridictable car like a f-body ls1 yea it trouble waiting to happen dude
you can barely work a keyboard... let alone a car.

Anyways ill say i had my first f-body when i was 17 it was a 98 trans am 6 speed. By summer of my senior year it was rockin a big cam, ls7 clutch, headers, ect. and made a little over 400 to the wheels. Dont get me wrong there were some times i got in trouble for small stuff here and there but the biggest thing was keeping my ego in check. If you think that you can handle it without showing off or racing then he will be fine. When you start trying to show off is when you get in trouble, i dont know how many times i seen some kid in my high school parking lot with the car over a curb because he was doing a burnout or something. just my 2 cents anyways.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Staging Lane

Dont mean to sound stupid in anyway but what is a Lid? Everyone keeps telling me to upgrade it but not to sure what it is lol
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kyles98ls1
Dont mean to sound stupid in anyway but what is a Lid? Everyone keeps telling me to upgrade it but not to sure what it is lol
Its the top piece of your air box

Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

So would you suggest me to change my stock lid to an SLP lid?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah man. A lid is a cheap first mod. Plus it is a good foundation for pretty much anyhting else you want to do to the car.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Alrite sweet im also doin a Loudmouth exhaust in july. I cant wait till i get a job so i can get this beast on the road.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Teching In

My parents pretty much forced me to be alright with getting a V6 as my first car when I wanted a V8, saying I would total the car or kill myself. So I settled for the V6 and got disappointed every time i saw a Trans Am, but was otherwise happy. That was 6 years ago, I'm now 23 and think they were 100% correct looking back on some of the times in the V6 and now driving the V8. That being said you can get a bicycle going fast enough to kill yourself if you don't respect it and stay within your limits.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thankfully, I got my first scare in my 150hp Mustang V6, in the rain on pretty low tread tires. Took a corner going into school too hard, ended up pushing both the clutch and brake in, and spun once and landed against a curb. No damage done except a small scrape on the rims, but it scared the **** out of me. Probably didn't help that I hit the gas at the torque peak...

I'm 18, before that I owned two cars, and now have my SS. As long as you're not an idiot, I think you'll be fine. You seem sensible, so that is at least good. I've had my car for two months today, and still figuring out exactly what she does best. I got my first ticket in it already though too...
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

i got my 94 z28 when i was 16, totaled after one month,
then i got a 98 formula, totaled after 2 years, then i had a 2000 z28 and now a 2002 z28
so far so good, still have all four wheels on the ground
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

i got my 99 ta when i was 16, big cam and bolt ons by 18 and sold it by 20 without getting into any real trouble, couple of speeding tickets. biggest thing is not showin off and losing control. its easier than u think
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Its going to be an awesome first car, but like others have said you must respect it. It only takes the smallest miscaculation and you or the car or both is going to get hurt.

That car has the ability to get you in a lot of trouble, you just must remember there is a time and a place for everything.

Ive been driving since i was 15, legally and illegally. Doing dumb **** in cars has gotten me into trouble before (nothing serious but plenty of tickets) and now at 21, only 5-6 years later, looking back at all the dumb **** I used to do im suprised I didnt get in more bs. You will be amazed how much more mature you are in 5 years and how much easier it is to resist doing fun yet dangerous things. Have fun with that car man! Just drive within your abilities and dont push it too far.

As far as first mods, get a lid, longtubes and whatever exhaust you like, and a tune!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Yay for 16 year olds with LS1's!!
Lol.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Teching In

I think that as long as youre responsible and respect the car like someone said earlier, youll be alright. Its when you get out of hand that things get dangerous. Enjoy it!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would never even sell my car to anyone under 21. Somebody would get killed.

I thought I was a good driver at the time, but looking back at that age I was a reckless idiot. Good thing my 92 camaro was slow.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

alrite guys thanks for all this info it helps alot
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I would have LOVED to have a camaro when I was 16. What kid doesnt dream of having a muscle car. Just be careful...
If im going 80mph over a hill...will ther be a kid on the other side crossing the street? Can I stop in time? will my tires hold around the corner? These are the questions that become instinctive only with experience. So always realize youre young and need to learn the car. An f-body is no more unsafe than any other car other than it can get going VERY fast much sooner than youre used to. So take it easy, and be safe but have fun. Youre a teenager! have fun for godsakes!!!! I mean crap, I was doing donuts in a ford taurus cause thats what I had at the time. Youll f-up and probobly do stupid teenager stuff....just dont kill anybody when you do it....and DONT ever drink and try to drive that car.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Teching In

I got my 2000 TA when i was 16. i dont request making any mods just yet. the car is powerful in rain or sun, if you punch it your not straight on the road regardless. wait until you have enough money to afford a couple mods and more money in the bank for safety no point on rushing something that is mint. another suggestion dont be a dumb a$$ like every other kid on the streets, i sit in class and laugh at the A holes who lose there license for 90 days at a time for going 100 in a 60.... ya what a rush for them when there rust on wheels shakes like hell when they hit 60. .

also i dont drive my can in the rain i have too much respect for the car. ihad a bad enough scare when it started to drizzle on my way to put the car in storage for the couple rainy days. not bad for a first car though.

respect the car and it respects you

be safe and good luck
Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drone
I would never even sell my car to anyone under 21. Somebody would get killed.

I thought I was a good driver at the time, but looking back at that age I was a reckless idiot. Good thing my 92 camaro was slow.
Same here I had a 92 when I was a junior and if that thing wasnt slow as ***** I probably would have totaled it. If I had my z28 then I would probably be dead now..... no not really but still dont be a dumbass and show off in it on the way too school or to try and act cool in front of your friends.

Quick Reply: 16 year old + LS1 = ????