New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 year old + LS1 = ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't bother to read this entire thread except for the first page. I'm 15 years old and my everyday driver is a 72 chevelle with a 383 stroker (don't shoot!) but I just got my 2001 trans am on thursday and im liking the power. She's white with black rims but I am getting some billet specialties street lite wheels 17x9.5 with drag radials. I plan on buying a ram air hood as well, then I am sending it over to a guy here in Kansas City who puts in a whole new computer and makes everything run at peak performance then I am getting pace setter headers to go along with the flowmasters. I should be running 12's in no time but I have heard headers can give you a good 50+ horsepower. Hope you are havin fun with it man.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

418ls1 speaks the truth, I've had my 01 ws6 for almost a year its bone stock and I'm already completely bored of the power. I'm stepping up to a c6 or c5 z06 before summer is over and i just turned 20. The best way to not get in trouble or wreck your car is to just not put yourself in that situation, you always know when you shouldn't do some thing but you do it anyways to test yourself or for the adrenaline. I thought i was some badass driver and took a turn in 3 gear on dry pavement not even going fast thinking my car didnt have the power to break loose in third and it did and it cost me some so best thing to do is just drive responsible and save it for the track.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Im 17 and i just bought my first car, 99 firebird formula, a4. Its fun as hell!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

U guys are all pretty young and lucky...my first car was a acura legend...be carefull with these ls1s there like a big putbull u gotta take out for a walk They could get anyway from u... And the A4s are deadly
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1TAUTO
U guys are all pretty young and lucky...my first car was a acura legend...be carefull with these ls1s there like a big putbull u gotta take out for a walk They could get anyway from u... And the A4s are deadly

Why are the A4's deadly?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

i am 17 with my first ls1. i am a safe driver 85% of the time but this is mostly because i wrecked my first 1996 rs driving like an idiot and it took that to make me learn. my advice to you is that if youre going to race do it in a safe spot (no cops or traffic in sight) and WIN.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

**** happens no matter how old you are..dont **** around and be stupid, and wear the seatbelt..its there for a reason.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

i bought my first f-body at 16, 89 z28 IROC-Z 30,000k on new motor and 160,000k on body and trans, actually never got a speeding ticket in that car but in my old lincoln LS i did before the camaro! haha, anyway just be easy with the car, get used how it handles, takes bumps, give a little more throttle more and more as you get used to it, what i did with all 5 of my camaros was take it to a open parking lot and play around, nothing to hit no curbs to check, these cars i cant stress enough to young crowd that these cars are fast! after i sold my camaros (on my 6th one) i get bored and **** with them and i just like different cars all the time, everyone i sold was totaled! and i seen them all, what was worse of all they all crashed speeding! my 87 z28 IROC-Z (f code motor) 40xxx original miles 1 owner, you could eat off the engine on this car no rain or snow ever!, had that about 2 years, did mild motor work and basically just showed it off cause nobody had a fast car freshmen year of high school, especially a IROC! sold that car to this dude i once knew for 5 thou cash! i couldnt resist, he had it for about 2 weeks and totaled it into a pole, seen it in my dudes junkyard, my pops sent me pictures of it, i was very upset. all im saying is get the feel of a V8 first before showing off to your friends, i dont wanna see any more camaros in the junkyard, they belong on the road.
safe driving bro! as for mods... whatever you would like, bolt-ons exhaust intake etc.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Teching In

At the end of the day just don't show off to friends when they want you to do something stupid; it's your car and license that are on the line. I bought my '95 Z28 a few months ago and am in the process of paying it off to my dad. I have worked hard to get it and I appreciate it. Congrats on the car. And if you've driven a 700hp N/A Camaro I don't think you'll have any problems with 300.

Edit: Drag radials will get a bit hairy on a wet road.

Last edited by 95camarslo; 07-26-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations!

I know the feeling -- started with a V8 Thunderbird at 16 and purchased my first Corvette shortly thereafter. The Thunderbird easily had enough power to get into trouble and the Corvette (obviously) was an even more delicate machine. I learned to respect the power of these cars thanks to a couple (very fortunate) near misses.

You're obviously wise enough to respect the car -- that's a plus. Now, don't make some of the same mistakes others have...

All of the "old" folks in here will offer the typical bits of widsom....when I was young I often let those messages go "in one ear and out the other", however it truly is sound advice. The line between staying within the car's limits and exceeding that point is very narrow and approaches quickly in most situations. As you drive the car, you'll get a good feel for this, however here are a couple general practices that would help:

1. If you're on a twisty road having fun, don't accelerate full throttle out of the curves until you understand what gear(s) you may lose traction in. The first time the rear breaks away from you in a fast curve will be a hair-raising experience (not in a good way).

2. Street racing is illegal and is (in general) a bad idea. However if you decide to give into the temptation, don't race on crowded city streets! Just too many variables outside of your control and those few seconds of fun could cost someone (including you) your life.

3. You'll never win a race in the rain with an F-body. Hence, if that guy in his 100 hp Civic keeps revving at you, just let it go. He already knows you're faster -- there's no need to try to prove it on a wet surface!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyles98ls1
Why are the A4's deadly?
I'm not sure what he means either. Deadly from a dig I'll agree... especially with a higher stall. Hell, deadly from a roll as well.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I can't stress enough what everyone here is saying about respect the power, I heard that when I bought a GSXR750 at 18 and it bit me in the *** 3 times. Figuring a seatbelt and airbag would be a better route when being a dumbass at the time... My first LS1 lost traction trying to pass someone when they were doing 50 in a 55, I dropped it down a gear and hammered down and it kicked sideways on me at the age of 22 (but it was heavily modded, procharger and all.) Now I just turned 25 and I have my 2nd LS1 and yeah I feel it could use more power I do it at the track, on the streets there are too many things to mess up the beauty that is the engine and body combo. Just enjoy the car and give it a catback at most, what man doesnt want a little rumble behind their ears... it's magical and turns a **** day into the one that puts a sound in your ear you will never forget. Enjoy it and be happy with the car for now and get acclimated, dont be a dipshit like i was haha. You don't want to be telling your kids about your badass car when you were a teenager and then tell them that you wrecked it by being reckless... Pick up some women and make memories (an LS powered car is always the best wingman.) Take it or leave it but you dont want your next car to be a camry bc insurance didnt give you enough when it was totalled...
Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think about a roll bar as your cars a convertible, that's just me.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

OP .... we all have to start somewhere .... 32 years ago, my first car was a 350 powered 1967 Camaro RS. For those of you that are not too good at math, I had just turned 15 yo and got my "hardship" license allowing me to drive only to and from work and school. By 17 yo, I had a 1970 Chevelle SS396. Back in those days, you could buy these cars alot cheaper. I gave $2,300 for my Camaro (it was stolen a year later) and gave $3,300 for my Chevelle. Advice ... just be as mature as you can, although, it is difficult. If you ask my wife, I am sure she is certain I was more mature at 15 yo than I am now.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my SS when i was 16 and took me 9 weeks to get a 94 in a 40 ticket.... havent got one since. Just be ****** careful and respect the car
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

here's what happens when high school kids and LS1 F-body's mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emsdZaO0gs8
Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 AM
Teching In

I'm 17, sold my zr2 s10 for a 98 z28. Already hit 140 in it. that's the last time I'm going over 110 on the highway.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:17 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Posi
here's what happens when high school kids and LS1 F-body's mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emsdZaO0gs8
You've convinced me-all teenagers should be executed immediately...
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my first01 , headers will not give you 50 hp lol, i didnt even feel anything when i put them on lol,
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to re-bump such an old post, this is no longer my account used but I just thought I'd share to you guys exactly what happens when a 16 year old drives recklessly with their first car. Total disaster. This isn't about how stupid I was or what I've done wrong. I'm only human and made a horrible mistake. I just want to help try and prevent anyone from making the same mistake I've made. Do not get behind the wheel of a 300hp rwd machine if your a young cocky assh*le. It bit me in the *** real bad. I have no memory of my accident but I did suffer some major injuries, take a look at the pictures and tell me how lucky I was, I know I was lucky when the doctor explained to my parents the unlikelihood of survival from such an accident. This is what happens when you drive fast in and out of and have no idea how to handle or drive such things. Since then I've made a full recovery and I've 2 other camaro's both being SS's and my Camaro owned now is a 2000 H/C/I. Just finished the build a few weeks ago, still waiting for the weather to clear up. I now understand the power and learned how to drive much better. I don't think I'm invincible anymore. If any younger person reads this be smart. It can happen to anyone and I walked out of this and was very lucky.

Quick Reply: 16 year old + LS1 = ????