New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For us who don't know about Tune...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up For us who don't know about Tune...

Why is it so important to get a tune after MODS... Also, if once my car is done with the mods in sig. And get it tuned, do i need to re-tune if i get a stall 3600 installed? What about tune after a cut out?

Just trying to get the best results overall... Keep it simple please, im just an amateur...

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes more than likely you will at least have to get your shift points adjusted after the stall. Mine shifted waaay early at WOT after my stall went in.. My advice is to do as much as you can at once then tune... Retunes are usually cheap as you add other mods.

With your setup in sig a tune would be well worth it but you could drive it without damaging anything w/o a tune just don't beat on it..... you are on the edge and anymore cam would require a tune to be safe IMO...
Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Yes more than likely you will at least have to get your shift points adjusted after the stall. Mine shifted waaay early at WOT after my stall went in.. My advice is to do as much as you can at once then tune... Retunes are usually cheap as you add other mods.

With your setup in sig a tune would be well worth it but you could drive it without damaging anything w/o a tune just don't beat on it..... you are on the edge and anymore cam would require a tune to be safe IMO...

Thanks, Shift points is something new to me. Hope i get more info and input on this matter...

Almost ready.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

without a tune with any major mods its the same as wasting money. you wont get the most out of your vehicle.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
without a tune with any major mods its the same as wasting money. you wont get the most out of your vehicle.
Oh believe me... After this ordeal, thats the last thing on my mind. Im getting all done right. Just dont know if tune is better after stall. or if retune is necessary after cut out. Any input?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Question retune

Also...

Will a re-tune be necessary once i have the 100-150 shot of nitrous put in?...
Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

NITROUS CHANGES YOUR afr. ID GET A TUNE.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
NITROUS CHANGES YOUR afr. ID GET A TUNE.

Whats the AFR?... what else do i need besides my set up to be worth the built?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Default Afr

Air to Fuel Ratio right? Just dawned on me... If so, How is the adjusment made? Not Planning on going anymore than 100-125 shot. Still looking for the safest set up.

What has to be done to my vehicle if i go with nitrous?

Dont want to spend much more than i already have...

Pls Comment!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Teching In

It sounds like you're in way over your head...why would you put a cam in before a converter?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Get your 3600 in your car, throw your nitrous on there (not spraying it yet) , take it to a GOOD dyno tuner. They will tune your nitrous and stall in for you. I would suggest throwing ngk tr6 plugs on there , maybe some better wires. Better be checking on a new rear end though. T/a has a really weak rear end. With that kind of hp it wont last. Good luck. Sounds like you have a nice car on your hands.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTow1105
It sounds like you're in way over your head...why would you put a cam in before a converter?

Thats because of geographic locations on where my built is being made... Theres alot more to my car than all of you can imagine, or what i've gone through to resurect this Bird...

It's dirt cheap were im getting it done, and soon once on hand, will post in new thread full details of my journey with the T/A.

Trust me, it will be an interesting story...

In the mean while, help me out with the above questions asked.

Thx.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99ls1zam
Get your 3600 in your car, throw your nitrous on there (not spraying it yet) , take it to a GOOD dyno tuner. They will tune your nitrous and stall in for you. I would suggest throwing ngk tr6 plugs on there , maybe some better wires. Better be checking on a new rear end though. T/a has a really weak rear end. With that kind of hp it wont last. Good luck. Sounds like you have a nice car on your hands.

Thanks for the info on the rear end. No one had mentioned it was a weak one, and i would of never guessed that.

About the DYNOTUNE... It will be done by some good Rep shop in the San Antonio Tx area. Lethal Performance, They specialize in Fbody's. Im fully confident they got the skills and equipment to make the most out of my build.

Good Input!!!...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Maybe ask around to people that have gotten tuned there. Get there input. I havent personally put a rear end in my t/a yet either but from what everybody i have talked to all go for the ford 9 inch rear end. And just keep in mind for the future a good suspension always helps.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Also if your not trying to spend alot more money i would leave the nitrous off until you have a few benjamins in your pocket to throw on upgrades. ex: rear end (can get pretty pricey)
Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Also if your not trying to spend alot more money i would leave the nitrous off until you have a few benjamins in your pocket to throw on upgrades. ex: rear end (can get pretty pricey)

I dont have a ton of cash laying around, But!... Right now is the season i can spend a lil more than usual, as long as we stay hot in texas, i can do it. Only one check out the month is completely free for me to do so as i please. Varies from 2 to 2.5 thous... If a rear end, or upgrade is more than that, i do need to hold back some.

I ask lots of questions, so i can learn and make the most out of my resources... Therefore, what do you recommend within a 2500 budget for a good solid rear end that will take the Mods made to my ride n not break?

Last edited by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A; 06-18-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Maybe ask around to people that have gotten tuned there. Get there input. I havent personally put a rear end in my t/a yet either but from what everybody i have talked to all go for the ford 9 inch rear end. And just keep in mind for the future a good suspension always helps.

As far as asking, i have done so... Everyone at the San Antonio dragway Knows and backs up Lethal Performance with tuning and Mods to all Trans am's... It's there specialty and showned great results at the track and over all performance.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Honestly im pretty new to this myself. Im just telling you what i know from my own personal questions i have asked. I havent done much researching on the rear ends for our cars. Im just now getting into my motor. As i am on a budget also.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

http://texas-speed.com/c-1268-rear-ends.aspx

there you go check that out
Old 06-18-2011, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

Honestly im pretty new to this myself. Im just telling you what i know from my own personal questions i have asked. I havent done much researching on the rear ends for our cars. Im just now getting into my motor. As i am on a budget also.

Hey bro, All input is welcome, experienced or newbie... Im not the type to bash or ignore anyones knowledge. Majority of my built is credited to Lemons12.
That guy has taken the time to explain lots of things that were completely new to me.
I do my research on all said here, and use my best judgement.

All i ask in these questions, is to help me understand what a tune does, and when is a re-tune is necessary. Exmpl... B4 and after stall, Nitrous, or if its even necessary if cut out is thrown in.

So Please respond to the above, since i really havent gotten a str8 up answer...

Thx.