Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on the SLP Air Lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on the SLP Air Lid

I know that a lid is a lid is a lid, they're all the same. But SLP is the cheapest, with the most reviews, and everyone seems to agree it does add about 5-10HP, which is good enough for the price. Here's my question.

This is the link to the lid I'm going to buy:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...p-air-box-lid/

My question is, does it also require I buy this SLP Air Lid Plug?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/.../SLP-LID-PLUG/

Seems dumb they would make a REQUIRED and have it be ordered separately. I also read that a lot of people find the installation to be a bit difficult, saying it's a very tight fit. Any tips on installation?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go directly to slp.. I had to buy nothing else for mine other then what was sent but I think the older ones "pre 00 or 01" may need a block off.. But I think slp has diff part numbers from both. I called slp directly anyways for mine. Service was outstanding, and no real fitment issues..

Oh on the fitting of your MAF which plugs directly into the lid... I used a blow dryer for about 3 seconds, and it slid in like butter, when it cooled it's stuck like its welded... Perfect, easy, fast.. 5 mins tops.... Now getting MAF out of stock baffles.... That took me 10 minutes...

30 secs not 3 with blow dryer.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

To be honest I've never opened up the air box before, except to change the air filter, which is very easy. But I like the idea with the hair dryer, I can see how that would work well. Most people say this install doesn't take much know how, getting the MAF out of the stock baffles...what's time consuming about that?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Very similar to the SLP lid. The MAF is a pig to install. I remember having to heat the opening on the lid over the stove and put some dawn on the inside of it to slip the maf in.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's tight as he'll... Trying to get it out without tearing it up is rough.. Especially when your fingers are trying not to damage the sensors in it... Hindsight says use blow dryer to pull it from stock baffles, but I just didn't think of it at the time... 15 min instalation time though.. Slp send instructions with their lid too invade you do t even know what a lid is lol

At lees I didn't have any trouble. Blow dryer for 30 seconds and it slid right in..
Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

I have the volant cold air and I love it. Its got two air filters for each of my ram air holes....but now that im typing this I see you have a camaro so my bad. But maybe check out volant the may have somthing for you camaro guys.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chandler Man
I have the volant cold air and I love it. Its got two air filters for each of my ram air holes....but now that im typing this I see you have a camaro so my bad. But maybe check out volant the may have somthing for you camaro guys.
Lol, I have seen the Volant CAI for the T/A, and it does have two filters, looks bad ***. Wonder if having two gives you a couple more HP or not. They do make a Volant CAI for the Camaro, and I have been thinking about getting it. But it's about $270 and the SLP Air Lid is only $90. I am thinking about getting the SLP one, and if I want a CAI later on you can buy the added parts and make the SLP Flo pac.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

I put a SLP Lid and coupler on my 2000 Z28 A4 over 2 years ago. It has to be at least 10 horsepower as it felt like a different car. It took me about an hour, and the maf to lid was tight. I bought the ram air duct work, but have never installed it. If you buy the K&N (oiled) air filter like I did, be aware that you might have a problem with hesitation if oil gets on the MAF. Pulling the MAF and shooting some MAF cleaner on it will clear up the bog or hesitation. A lot of guys run paper air filter elements for this reason.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch really an hour?!?! Dang son!! Lol I can do plugs in an hour
Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28Z06
I put a SLP Lid and coupler on my 2000 Z28 A4 over 2 years ago. It has to be at least 10 horsepower as it felt like a different car. It took me about an hour, and the maf to lid was tight. I bought the ram air duct work, but have never installed it. If you buy the K&N (oiled) air filter like I did, be aware that you might have a problem with hesitation if oil gets on the MAF. Pulling the MAF and shooting some MAF cleaner on it will clear up the bog or hesitation. A lot of guys run paper air filter elements for this reason.
Took you an hour? Why did it take so long?

And 10HP!? That's quite a bit for only $90. Did it just feel more responsive from a stand still? Any increase in fuel economy?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Teching In

That optional plug is to fill in the hole that the SLP lid provides for attaching the existing AIR system hose. If you plan on removing the AIR system, purchase the plug. Of course, the stock lid and baffle have a nozzle where the air hose attaches. The SLP lid also provides this attachment whereas some other aftermarket lids don't, on the basis that many tweakers want to remove the AIR system anyways.

The AIR system is an air pump (located at the very back of the engine compartment, directly above the engine and at the firewall) that feeds fresh air into the exhaust manifolds to provide more oxygen for the catalytic converters when the system is still cold and running inefficiently. It is part of the emissions control system, so removing it will cause your car to throw codes & fail emissions tests.

If you plan to keep the AIR system (as I did when I bought my SLP lid) then you don't need that plug.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...l#post15067709

This was my lid thread. Hope it helps
Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HeXetic
That optional plug is to fill in the hole that the SLP lid provides for attaching the existing AIR system hose. If you plan on removing the AIR system, purchase the plug. Of course, the stock lid and baffle have a nozzle where the air hose attaches. The SLP lid also provides this attachment whereas some other aftermarket lids don't, on the basis that many tweakers want to remove the AIR system anyways.

The AIR system is an air pump (located at the very back of the engine compartment, directly above the engine and at the firewall) that feeds fresh air into the exhaust manifolds to provide more oxygen for the catalytic converters when the system is still cold and running inefficiently. It is part of the emissions control system, so removing it will cause your car to throw codes & fail emissions tests.

If you plan to keep the AIR system (as I did when I bought my SLP lid) then you don't need that plug.
So don't buy the plug if I want to keep the regular AIR system/Air pump in there and not throw any codes. Gotcha, your answer helps a lot. Told me exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I am in the process of replacing my stock air lid with the SLP one and my "AIR hose" is no where close to being long enough to reach the narrower SLP lid's hole. Plus there is no nipple to attach to as there is with the stock air lid. How does this hose attach?

Please help!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by jsygrovehpi
I am in the process of replacing my stock air lid with the SLP one and my "AIR hose" is no where close to being long enough to reach the narrower SLP lid's hole. Plus there is no nipple to attach to as there is with the stock air lid. How does this hose attach?

Please help!
Did you buy the lid used? It should have come from SLP with the hardware needed to extend the line and attach to the lid, that's how mine came several years ago.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Did you buy the lid used? It should have come from SLP with the hardware needed to extend the line and attach to the lid, that's how mine came several years ago.
Yes. That's probably why I didn't get anything other than the lid. The seller has the plug but didn't mention anything about a line extension. Can you possibly take a picture of the extension and send it to me so I know what I am looking for? Do you think its parts that they might stock at an auto parts store?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by jsygrovehpi
Yes. That's probably why I didn't get anything other than the lid. The seller has the plug but didn't mention anything about a line extension. Can you possibly take a picture of the extension and send it to me so I know what I am looking for? Do you think its parts that they might stock at an auto parts store?
Here is a link to the original product on SLP's website:

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...45&BIG=21045-1

As you can see in the enlarged image, there is a grommet in the hole, a 90° plastic elbow that slips into the grommet, a formed extension hose, and a plastic male-to-male coupler at the end to connect to the factory AIR line.

If you can't locate the parts, you can always just plug the hole and install a small breather filter on the end of the factory AIR line. That's the way we all had to do it in the early days, before SLP released a lid with the AIR attachment for the '00+ cars.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I just installed this on my car.

Please, follow the instructions.....GET A BLOWDRYER. My hands are unforgiving right now lol.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baalic
Oh on the fitting of your MAF which plugs directly into the lid... I used a blow dryer for about 3 seconds, and it slid in like butter, when it cooled it's stuck like its welded... Perfect, easy, fast.. 5 mins tops.... Now getting MAF out of stock baffles.... That took me 10 minutes...
Originally Posted by baalic
30 secs not 3 with blow dryer.
A heat gun used for electrical shrink wrapping works great also. That is what I used and it needed more than 3 seconds to heat up the SLP lid to get the MAF in that is for sure.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Mine is an 02 camaro but the air pump was shot when i bought it so i removed the system and deleted the codes when i had it tuned. Knowing this beforehand allowed me to order the older style slp lid which comes with the plug for the air system.yes it was a pita to get the maf into the lid hair dryer or short time in the oven helps a ton

Quick Reply: Question on the SLP Air Lid