Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Drivers window problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Drivers window problem

My drivers window will not go down .Switch seems to test fine but wires to motor do not.one wire will not ground or power up when button is pushed either up or down. does the bcm act as a relay or could it be something else? any info would be helpful.
Thanks ...Shawn
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me that would signal a bad switch. To test the switch you need to see whats coming out to see if the switch is good, not whats going in. (Obviously you want to make sure its getting power)

So if the switch is getting power like it should, but not sending it when you press down id say the switch is bad.

An easy test would be to get 2 of those splice tap connectors and run a line to both the blue and the brown wires that attach to the window motor. Take your car battery (or a 12v source like a jump box... etc) and put the power directly to the wire (touch the wires to the terminals). One way will make it go up, swap it... and it will go down.

If you can get the window to move this way, the switch is bad. If the window refuses to move, the motor is bad.

Also, dont forget to make sure the wires are making a good connection in the connector (remove it from the motor and make sure they are not partually pulled out or damaged)

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Teching In

So there is nothing between the switch and motor? I was sure the older models had a relay so when you hit the button it took the window all the way down. I thought the body control module did this on the newer models. I dont really know just read it some were.

I tested the wiring harness at the switch and got nothing on at the motor .
Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a good question. To be honest, I didnt trace the lines to the bcm. Ill do that next time i have a harness in front of me. So i dont know on that part.

I guess my question would be, why do you think its the BCM? I doubt that that one feature on the bcm would go out... if your having several issues that relate to the BCM, then i would look at that.

Heres a post that might help answer your question related to the BCM: This is page 7 of the thread, about 6 posts down the guy address an issue similar to yours. (click here)
Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default .

Ive got the same problem and i replaced the switch and same problem.I believe im gonna pull out my BCM and check it....It looks like it might work...
Old 08-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

i do have other issues, radio controls on steering wheel do not work, airbag light is on and brake light is on. It is my understanding that the bcm does something with stereos not sure what. and as far as airbag and brake lights ,I have no clue. Front of t/a caught on fire and im trying to restore.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Teching In

update............
The Bcm sends power to the fuse block then power to switch and express down module which is located behind the stereo. about $ 80+ new. Trying to find a used good one.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

ya, these cars are bad for window problems.