Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about my exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about my exhaust setup

I have 99 M6, currently DD, I now have mid-tube headers and borla w/o cat. Plans are to go with LS6 intake, either cam only or h/c. Is my exhaust good for my plans, or do I need to go with true duals to benefit more out of a cam? If my exhaust is good then that is money saved for some 5.3 heads and matching cam. I plan on pulling it from the street after h/c. Please let me know your opinion and please do not bash me for not knowing.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have TD's, however a free flowing exhaust with Long Tube headers is key. You have to have those. Whether it's a ORY or TD's is up to you. The both flow well, but with TD's you compromise ride height.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ill be the first to tell you that please dont say you plan on putting in a cam and asking if this is good for it without posting the cam and its specs. we could be talking about a baby cam or the cheater cam in which case yes your setup is fine but you could be talking about a monster cam like the t rex in which case no it isnt. please post with all info.

but one thing is nothing beaths long tube headers. anyhting you do (besides turbo) would benefit from long tube headers, not the mid length headers you have. a good set of high flowing (1 7/8 primary to 3'' collector) will be perfect. with a cam you are changing how a engine breathes litterally. you need a good set of lungs (intake and heads flowing plenty of air) and a deep exhale ( good headers to clear exhaust fumes) long tubes with no cats will be the best. after that is up to you, a true dual will flow nice and sound good but have clearance issues, you could hook the lt's up to a y pipe and good catback, and just install cutouts, same great flow and good sound if you like how loud it will be.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres nothing wrong with mids on a stock cube non max effort application, cant beat the clearance and the gains are pretty good. That being said I would 100% say run TDs. Everyone says you wont gain much and thats true to a point. Your peak numbers will likely be affected not a whole lot but your midrange will do nothing but gain.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say upgrade to longtubes,but i understand some dont wanna have issues with emissions even though in some states its easy to get by, imo it depends on the setup, my big cam car gained from a 3 inch dual exhaust ,i didnt need to put it on a dyno to tell that, felt way stronger everywhere in the rpms,and honest it really depends on the duals, i have tsp duals and have no clearance issues, getting ready to lower it and i still dont think it will be an issue, if you install them right they should tuck up nice
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone, I am definately going to get RPM in NC to help with my build. With what you all are saying I will stick to basic bolt-ons then go with a h/c set-up. I plan on TSP 1 7/8 LT's with TD sweet thunder mufflers, LS6 intake/ported TB, UD pulley, F.A.S.T fuel rails, and then I will decide on H/C specs according to my build I also based my build on suspension/drivetrain so things do not break.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soldier2269
Thanks everyone, I am definately going to get RPM in NC to help with my build. With what you all are saying I will stick to basic bolt-ons then go with a h/c set-up. I plan on TSP 1 7/8 LT's with TD sweet thunder mufflers, LS6 intake/ported TB, UD pulley, F.A.S.T fuel rails, and then I will decide on H/C specs according to my build I also based my build on suspension/drivetrain so things do not break.
build it how you want to but heres my opinion, currently theres no point in buying that FAST fuel rail, especially if you are keeping your stock injectors, you will have a (supposedly) higher flowing rail and same injectors? that doesnt make any sense. the stock rail is fine for you now and you dont need to really upgrade your injectors/rail untill you go cam. personally i think the FAST fuel rail belongs in the bs mod category along with slp's "smooth bellows".
suspension is very important and i think you are overlooking it. dont buy the garbage fuel rail and use that money on at least a pair of umi or bmr lower control arms. you can get both for less than the cost of that rail and they will do more for your car. what year is your car? 2001 and 2002 models came with a ls6 intake already. if youve got money to spend a FAST intake is actually worth it, but if you have an ls6 already on the car id just save money and keep that.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

I have a 99 so I do not have the LS6 intake, Thanks for the info on the fuel rails I guess that I should get cam set-up before I start working on the fuel system. I do know that my stock inj will have to be upgraded and I plan on getting them during cam install along with everything else I needed. I was saying that my current build has suspension/drivetrain mods. Mods are as follows; UMI LCA's, UMI PHB, UMI SFC weld-in, rear springs/struts are stock. Front has KYB 8 way ADJ and QA1 275, BMR Tower brace. As for Drivetrain I currently have Monster LV 3 /Tick master, and Pro 5.0. As stated above my plans were to build the foundation before I start adding power to the motor because I am very worried about the weak 10 bolt especially with monster lv 3 and T56. I really do appreciate the help and do not mean to give off a bad taste. I am in the Army and currently deployed and I am designing my build and gathering as much info as I can. If anyone has any input please do not hesitate to comment. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will say this......dumped TD's are annoying as hell if you drive a lot especially on a cammed car. A good merge and catback will not be much restriction on 95% of the cars on here (or yours).

Just tell Jason your goals, how you will use the car and budget and he will set you up.....
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soldier2269
I have a 99 so I do not have the LS6 intake, Thanks for the info on the fuel rails I guess that I should get cam set-up before I start working on the fuel system. I do know that my stock inj will have to be upgraded and I plan on getting them during cam install along with everything else I needed. I was saying that my current build has suspension/drivetrain mods. Mods are as follows; UMI LCA's, UMI PHB, UMI SFC weld-in, rear springs/struts are stock. Front has KYB 8 way ADJ and QA1 275, BMR Tower brace. As for Drivetrain I currently have Monster LV 3 /Tick master, and Pro 5.0. As stated above my plans were to build the foundation before I start adding power to the motor because I am very worried about the weak 10 bolt especially with monster lv 3 and T56. I really do appreciate the help and do not mean to give off a bad taste. I am in the Army and currently deployed and I am designing my build and gathering as much info as I can. If anyone has any input please do not hesitate to comment. Thanks again.
np, im active duty navy myself on the beach relaxing from being deployed into oddyessy dawn. the other guy is right about the true duals and a cam, my dd camaro is not cammed but does have a cutout and long tubes and i will tell you it is loud. and i can see how it can get annoying for some ppl. about the 10 bolt, yes it is very weak they have been known to break on stock cars. problem is new rear ends cost alot. browse the classifieds here looking for a 12'' or a 9''. the moser 12'' will be fine for your applications