New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a pet peeve of mine... why does every thread on lowering have posts saying you have to buy all kinds of unnecessary stuff? I'm lowered maybe a little over an inch with cut stock springs, and I have a stock panhard bar (with 315s out back to boot), stock LCAs, and no relocation brackets. Seriously guys, don't buy into the marketing campaigns... you don't need that stuff unless you just feel a need to purge excess cash.

The only thing I would recommend that does get overlooked is an alignment. I chewed up the inside of a couple 275s after the car was lowered and never got aligned.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
This is a pet peeve of mine... why does every thread on lowering have posts saying you have to buy all kinds of unnecessary stuff? I'm lowered maybe a little over an inch with cut stock springs, and I have a stock panhard bar (with 315s out back to boot), stock LCAs, and no relocation brackets. Seriously guys, don't buy into the marketing campaigns... you don't need that stuff unless you just feel a need to purge excess cash.

The only thing I would recommend that does get overlooked is an alignment. I chewed up the inside of a couple 275s after the car was lowered and never got aligned.
I stopped reading after cut stock springs...
Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fbodlovr
Good lord, SOMEONE post what they think compared to before the switch to strano, and after the switch to strano springs, and bilstein shocks. I'm in the same boat as you udienow. I don't do any racing. So, my thought is the bilsteins will work. Let me know.
Alright here you go. I have been lowered for a week now. The ride is great. It is night and day difference from my stock springs/shocks. The ride is fairly firm though I actually wish it was a little firmer. The drop itself is nice, and not too low. I have not had any issues with ground clearance. I would recommend bilsteins for their price and for your casual driver.

However I can also compare to the Koni shocks. My buddy has Konis on his car with the strano springs as well. There is definately a difference between his set-up and mine. His car is way way stiffer than mine. You can easily tell the bilstein shocks arnt as stiff as the konis instantly if you hopped in each car or even just pushed down on any fender. So I can see how the koni's are better. But for what I am doing with the car, as of now the bilsteins are great! I will see how long they last with the lowering springs.

Here is some eye candy:

Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Teching In

I am in the same boat.. I bought BMR's lowering package which includes springs, LCA relocation Brackets and a Adjustable panhard bar.. I was going to wait to install these when I bought shocks.. Well I couldnt wait so I installed them this weekend ( didnt get to the fronts yet ran out of time) I took it for a tested drive and the car planted itself and took off.(felt more stable) Car has 100K miles on it so I know the shocks are bad but I am a newbie working on cars so thats why I installed them so the next time I get under there I know what I am doing. (Thanks to everyone on ls1tech for all the info on doing this) Sam Strano will be getting a call from me when I have the money to buy revalved bilsteins as I cant afford koni's.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by udienow
I stopped reading after cut stock springs...
Any reason why?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Youshallgofo
Maybe you're kidding (hard to tell over the internet) but I'm not wrong, and unless you explain why you think I'm wrong then posting a picture doesn't mean much.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you do any BFH-ing or roll the fenders?
Ever car is a little different, but to say something like an adjustable PHB or LCA's are "marketing" is just plain dumb.
While some may not need them, they are used to center/align the rear end so its strait with the car and to avoid possible tire/wheel rubbing. I have a watts link on my car now, but I would have never been able to run 315's in the rear with a stock PHB and being lowered, the tires would have been rubbing my inner fenders big time.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Did you do any BFH-ing or roll the fenders?
Ever car is a little different, but to say something like an adjustable PHB or LCA's are "marketing" is just plain dumb.
While some may not need them, they are used to center/align the rear end so its strait with the car and to avoid possible tire/wheel rubbing. I have a watts link on my car now, but I would have never been able to run 315's in the rear with a stock PHB and being lowered, the tires would have been rubbing my inner fenders big time.
I have not rolled the fenders, I didn't do any BFHing for a long time and they did rub ever so slightly and pretty evenly on both sides (which is due to the 315s not the lowering). I did some hammering just recently for good measure, but I didn't need to as the rubbing was very minor.

I'm just saying you don't NEED all kinds of new suspension just to lower a car. This is my problem with these threads. Someone posts a thread saying "I want to lower my car, what do I need?", and then they read people saying "oh you need this this this and this." The OP then gets the impression that it's very expensive to lower their car.

I don't understand why people NEED fancy tubular control arms, adjustable everything, and polyurethane bushings or rod ends. I have Bilstein shocks, 1LE LCA bushings, and that's it. My car rides just fine, a little firmer than stock, handles decent, has the perfect (not slammed) stance, and it doesn't have crappy poly bushings or harsh rod ends on every part of the suspension.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Crappy poly bushings? You MUST be trolling.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sepsis
Crappy poly bushings? You MUST be trolling.
Why is poly better than rubber for control arms?

http://hewsoninc.ca/mythinformation.htm
Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see a lot of claims but nothing to back up those claims. Where are the tests or research?

I on the other hand, noticed a BIG improvement in handling on my old Mustang after I installed poly bushings all around. So this dude talking out of his *** means nothing to my personal experience, and I'm sure others on this site.

I'll be adding poly bushings on my Camaro because I know there will be felt results.

Last edited by sepsis; 04-10-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

I did an alignment, but all that was added was bilsteins (which according to Strano, can handle eibach springs just fine) and the eibach prokit.

I have longtubes, so I avoid big bumps if possible, just drive like you have a brain and it's actually a very nice ride.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright here you go. I have been lowered for a week now. The ride is great. It is night and day difference from my stock springs/shocks. The ride is fairly firm though I actually wish it was a little firmer. The drop itself is nice, and not too low. I have not had any issues with ground clearance. I would recommend bilsteins for their price and for your casual driver.

However I can also compare to the Koni shocks. My buddy has Konis on his car with the strano springs as well. There is definately a difference between his set-up and mine. His car is way way stiffer than mine. You can easily tell the bilstein shocks arnt as stiff as the konis instantly if you hopped in each car or even just pushed down on any fender. So I can see how the koni's are better. But for what I am doing with the car, as of now the bilsteins are great! I will see how long they last with the lowering springs.

Here is some eye candy:

That is a SEXY FINE car

As far as needing other stuff I needed an adjustable PHB and nothing else. No adj. LCA's but from what I seen that is hit or miss.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering springs-dscn0392.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have not rolled the fenders, I didn't do any BFHing for a long time and they did rub ever so slightly and pretty evenly on both sides (which is due to the 315s not the lowering). I did some hammering just recently for good measure, but I didn't need to as the rubbing was very minor.

I'm just saying you don't NEED all kinds of new suspension just to lower a car. This is my problem with these threads. Someone posts a thread saying "I want to lower my car, what do I need?", and then they read people saying "oh you need this this this and this." The OP then gets the impression that it's very expensive to lower their car.

I don't understand why people NEED fancy tubular control arms, adjustable everything, and polyurethane bushings or rod ends. I have Bilstein shocks, 1LE LCA bushings, and that's it. My car rides just fine, a little firmer than stock, handles decent, has the perfect (not slammed) stance, and it doesn't have crappy poly bushings or harsh rod ends on every part of the suspension.
I think I am on page with you. If you are alright with decent or just fine, than yes you are correct none of this stuff is a NEED. Some people want to have good handling though and not just decent, this is why I would never cut the stock springs... the spring rate alone is bad. Some of the stuff I agree is a bit much like the rod ends. Where I have to disagree is the adjustable PHB though. This was a NEED for my car. After I lowered my car it was clear the rear end shifted to the left. It sticks out more on the left side and was a bit in on the right side. The adj. PHB allowed me to move it back into place. Each car will be different im sure but some people need this stuff if they want to do it right. I have never driven in a car with cut springs, but i'd be willing to bet the ride is much worse than say someone with koni and any real lowering spring with the proper rate.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I am on page with you. If you are alright with decent or just fine, than yes you are correct none of this stuff is a NEED. Some people want to have good handling though and not just decent, this is why I would never cut the stock springs... the spring rate alone is bad. Some of the stuff I agree is a bit much like the rod ends. Where I have to disagree is the adjustable PHB though. This was a NEED for my car. After I lowered my car it was clear the rear end shifted to the left. It sticks out more on the left side and was a bit in on the right side. The adj. PHB allowed me to move it back into place. Each car will be different im sure but some people need this stuff if they want to do it right. I have never driven in a car with cut springs, but i'd be willing to bet the ride is much worse than say someone with koni and any real lowering spring with the proper rate.
The only place I'm gonna disagree with you is ride quality. There's nothing wrong with the way my car rides. I have Bilstein shocks and my drop was somewhere around 1". Where people get in trouble with cut springs is when they try to go too low, like 2". Then you have a situation where you end up with homemade Sportlines.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Udienow, thats a saucy lookin ride. Real nice. what size tires are do you have?

Quick Reply: Lowering springs