New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 WS6 Trans AM LS1 swap to a LS3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 WS6 Trans AM LS1 swap to a LS3?

Just wanted to know. I have decided to drop a new engine in my Trans AM. Wanted to go with the LS3. Is it possible just to be able to swap engines? Would i have to make any modifications to drop a LS3 in place of the LS1?

Thanks,

Fr0sT
Old 03-31-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fr0sT
Just wanted to know. I have decided to drop a new engine in my Trans AM. Wanted to go with the LS3. Is it possible just to be able to swap engines? Would i have to make any modifications to drop a LS3 in place of the LS1?

Thanks,

Fr0sT
It is almost a "bolt in" swap but several things needed to be addressed.

I'm doing an lq9 with an ls3 top end. Little added weight, little less power... WAY cheaper and way easier. I will have the motor/top end/cam me price as i could get a stock ls3 in my car for.

There is an alum block that comes factory with l92 heads also.. Same swap as ls3 swap but the motor is cheaper, power would be almost identical. It is the l76 or ly6, can't remember which is alum.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:54 AM
Launching!

The reluctor is diffrent 58x the ls1 is 24x
Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
It is almost a "bolt in" swap but several things needed to be addressed.

I'm doing an lq9 with an ls3 top end. Little added weight, little less power... WAY cheaper and way easier. I will have the motor/top end/cam me price as i could get a stock ls3 in my car for.

There is an alum block that comes factory with l92 heads also.. Same swap as ls3 swap but the motor is cheaper, power would be almost identical. It is the l76 or ly6, can't remember which is alum.
That sounds awesome man! I have a friend that has a G8 that has the l76 in it. It is tuned and exhaust and it is running 8.5's in the 1/8 drag.

I was hoping that most of it will be just a swap. I figured you would have to moddify some things to swap. Wanted to see if anyone at least could give me a idea of how many things.

My situation is this. I want to Supercharge, Cam, Headers and Tune mine. But, my LS1 has 182,000 miles on it. I think if i spent the money on fixing it up like that with those miles. It might be too much for it. Looked at droping a new LS1 in it, it was 5,000. I can get a LS3 for 2000 more dollars. So, want to see if i can just swap it to the LS3 if it is easy and not very expensive.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1TA_956
The reluctor is diffrent 58x the ls1 is 24x
Probably a dumb question. But, what is a "Reluctor"?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

That sounds awesome man! I have a friend that has a G8 that has the l76 in it. It is tuned and exhaust and it is running 8.5's in the 1/8 drag.

I was hoping that most of it will be just a swap. I figured you would have to moddify some things to swap. Wanted to see if anyone at least could give me a idea of how many things.

My situation is this. I want to Supercharge, Cam, Headers and Tune mine. But, my LS1 has 182,000 miles on it. I think if i spent the money on fixing it up like that with those miles. It might be too much for it. Looked at droping a new LS1 in it, it was 5,000. I can get a LS3 for 2000 more dollars. So, want to see if i can just swap it to the LS3 if it is easy and not very expensive.
Reluctor
VVT
DOD
I haven't done the swap so I'm not sure what else, those are the big ones.
If you are doing all that, go with a stock lq9, put a cam in it with supporting mods, throw a D1 @ 8#s on it and shoot for 600Rwhp or so.
You have a lot to learn though it seems, you need more research.

You also need to look somewhere else for motors.. I just bought a complete drop out 2006 45K miles lq4 for 1500$. The alum. 6.0 with l2 heads runs around 650$ more.
It seems you don't have a lot of knowledge... If not you need someone to help or buy the easiest to swap in..... Lq9 or lq4. Just my opinion.

Probably a dumb question. But, what is a "Reluctor"?
Reluctor wheel on the crank... They are different between the two.. It either needs to be changed or a conversion box ran... Conversion box is the most common and can be bought for 250$ or so.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Reluctor
VVT
DOD
I haven't done the swap so I'm not sure what else, those are the big ones.
If you are doing all that, go with a stock lq9, put a cam in it with supporting mods, throw a D1 @ 8#s on it and shoot for 600Rwhp or so.
You have a lot to learn though it seems, you need more research.

You also need to look somewhere else for motors.. I just bought a complete drop out 2006 45K miles lq4 for 1500$. The alum. 6.0 with l2 heads runs around 650$ more.
It seems you don't have a lot of knowledge... If not you need someone to help or buy the easiest to swap in..... Lq9 or lq4. Just my opinion.

Reluctor wheel on the crank... They are different between the two.. It either needs to be changed or a conversion box ran... Conversion box is the most common and can be bought for 250$ or so.
Yea, i am fairly new to this stuff. I have a guy that has been doing it for years helping me. I haven't told him about the engine swap idea though. I wanted to get a idea of what i was looking at first. I make good money now and in the situation i am in right now. I am willing to go the extra mile on saving for the good stuff. I will get to do this before i get married and get a house. So, i am pretty lucky at the moment.

But, i plan to show him what you are recommending and hopefully he can explain it to me and everything. He has helped me a lot in the past 5 months. His dad is my neighbor, i don't get to see him as much as i want. But, its better than nothing.

But, your suggestions are helping, i will be researching what you tell me before i am able to see him again. Thanks for your help, i haven't had a lot since i have been posting here very much until now.

The engine's i have looked at are crate engines. When i get the engine i choose. When i start it up, it should be the 1-3rd time its only been started. Hints why they are pricy.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Personally, I would save 3-4K$ and get a pull out that has 4X,XXX miles on it with a warranty. If you have the money though, by all means!

Good luck man, glad I could help you some.

What part of Alabama?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Personally, I would save 3-4K$ and get a pull out that has 4X,XXX miles on it with a warranty. If you have the money though, by all means!

Good luck man, glad I could help you some.

What part of Alabama?
Well, here is a question i have thought about since you say getting one with 40,000 or so miles. Would it be best to get one with that many miles so it will already be getting broke in?

Yea, you have been a good help. I have seen you posting a lot in the forums almost every post i read. You are in at least most of the posts.

I live in Muscle Shoals, AL. Its awesome, the car in your sig/avatar is just like mine. Mine is Silver, i think yours is a different color. Not to sure, i need to put a pic of mine up soon. lol
Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Default 408

IMHO I would go with the lq9 engine 408 stroker. dont know if you already have aftermarket heads or cam but everything will swap over. you can get a 408 short block for like 3500 from TSP. if you dont have after market upgrades then you can add them and it will still be a brand new engine, cheaper and faster than the ls3 you where looking at
Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
IMHO I would go with the lq9 engine 408 stroker. dont know if you already have aftermarket heads or cam but everything will swap over. you can get a 408 short block for like 3500 from TSP. if you dont have after market upgrades then you can add them and it will still be a brand new engine, cheaper and faster than the ls3 you where looking at
All i have on my WS6 right now is exhaust. After seeing the price of the little 5-15 hp gain mods. I was going to just put the big stuff on my car. Was going to go with a Supercharger or Pro Charger, Headers and Cam. To me those are the only things worth my dollars. Then, i thought about it having so many miles on it. That is what brought me to start asking questions.

What is the difference between the LQ9 and LS3? Are they the same performance, such as starting HP and Torque? Or is it the ease of the LQ9 swaping with the LS1?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html

Check out these links it has alot more info about swaping ls1 with ls3

the ls3 is probably a better engine overall most guys that swap their engines out do the lq9 408 because of price to performance is better and most people have alot of aftermarket mods on their ls1 that will swap over to the 408, but if money wasnt a issue the hell i would maybe shoot for the ls3.

Last edited by TransamGCS; 03-31-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html

Check out these links it has alot more info about swaping ls1 with ls3

the ls3 is probably a better engine overall most guys that swap their engines out do the lq9 408 because of price to performance is better and most people have alot of aftermarket mods on their ls1 that will swap over to the 408, but if money wasnt a issue the hell i would maybe shoot for the ls3.

Awesome! That is a lot of help. I will keep those links and do my research. Seems like their is more modding than i hoped for though for the LS3 swap. But its looking like i am going to go with the LS3 swap. If not, i may just put a knew LS1 back in it.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:07 PM

Default Swap.

Awesome! That is a lot of help. I will keep those links and do my research. Seems like their is more modding than i hoped for though for the LS3 swap. But its looking like i am going to go with the LS3 swap. If not, i may just put a knew LS1 back in it.
So what did you do?? I ask cuz I'm wanting to do the same. I live in Sheffield.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

I swapped a crate "LS3 376/480" engine from Jegs into my z28 and love it. I would highly recommend going with an iron block 6.0 or something though because if you ever decide to throw some boost at it, it wont hold up as well. If you're going for N/A maybe with a 150 shot it is perfect though.

EDIT: LS3 has the same bolt pattern. You will need a drive by cable throttle body (90mm), Lingenfelter conversion box, definitely a new clutch if you haven't done so already, and a few other wires I can't think of off the top of my head.

Quick Reply: 2000 WS6 Trans AM LS1 swap to a LS3?