On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i see another dead ten bolt in a f-body soon haha
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
maybe theres a tornado in his lid.

LOL!!! I did that when my car was a V6, and I actually calculated a consistent 1-2mpg increase after it (if the "tornado" that you're talking about is what I'm thinking). Buttt it was probably due to the MAF reading better or better maintenance of it. Now with the V8, I'm just like "Lolz"

to the OP May some unseen dirt on the road, every time and every where you drive? Or it's the placebo effect? Or an angel has touched your car. Whatever it is, enjoy! Just...good luck with the rear
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by myk
Jesus H. Christ. I was so intent on perfectly copying the WS6 on my clone that I didn't think about the lids when I swapped the intake boxes. I've been driving the car like this for a couple of years now!!! Thanks RPM...
LOL!

If you want it to look as correct as possibile while still being able to use the better aftermarket lid, you could get a factory ram air decal and put that on the aftermarket lid. I've seen many people do that over the years, and I always intended to do that with my WS6 but just never got around to it.

The part number for the decal is 12455211, and I just ran that number through GMPD and it appears to still be active. List price is $33.74 but GM Parts Direct sells it for $20.51.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

$20.51 just for a sticker? Now I see why the Honda guys try to justify stickers = power.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL!

If you want it to look as correct as possibile while still being able to use the better aftermarket lid, you could get a factory ram air decal and put that on the aftermarket lid. I've seen many people do that over the years, and I always intended to do that with my WS6 but just never got around to it.

The part number for the decal is 12455211, and I just ran that number through GMPD and it appears to still be active. List price is $33.74 but GM Parts Direct sells it for $20.51.

Hope that helps.
Yes that does, thank you! I tried looking the decal up on ebay and elsewhere and it's about $40. Before that however, I need to put my MTI lid back on and go for a test drive! In reference to the OP's post I swear I could feel a difference when I put the stock lid back on, so maybe he HAS experienced something similar...

Edit: Ok so after a day of driving with the MTI lid on instead of the stock WS6 lid I will have to say that I'm pretty sure I felt a difference. I'm not saying that the car is now a 10 second, fire breathing drag strip terror but I'm convinced it made a difference. I also know this is a ricer thing to say but I really like the look of the stock WS6 lid, and I wish the MTI could look as good. Question: why does the stock WS6 lid have two parts: the lid and then the E-shaped assembly behind it, and why don't aftermarket lids like the MTI have this E-shaped assembly?

Last edited by myk; 05-01-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What you are talking about is called the baffles. I believe baffles make the car quieter but do nothing for performance so all the aftermarket lids don't have them.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Lids have been proven for years to gain 7-13rwhp on average on stock engine applications, so it's not going to be a huge difference by itself, and certainly won't transform a car into a monster version of it's former self. Did you change the air filter at the same time? Maybe the old one was clogged. Maybe some cooler weather is also making the car feel faster and making traction worse.
The exact thing happened to me, I had a stock old paper filter from the previous owner which I bet he never changed. After installing the K&N filter and the lid at the same time , I've seen incredible gains, mostly due to the new filter I think.

Edit: Its also well known that the SLP baffle is an appearance mod.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by myk
Edit: Ok so after a day of driving with the MTI lid on instead of the stock WS6 lid I will have to say that I'm pretty sure I felt a difference. I'm not saying that the car is now a 10 second, fire breathing drag strip terror but I'm convinced it made a difference. I also know this is a ricer thing to say but I really like the look of the stock WS6 lid, and I wish the MTI could look as good. Question: why does the stock WS6 lid have two parts: the lid and then the E-shaped assembly behind it, and why don't aftermarket lids like the MTI have this E-shaped assembly?
That "E" shaped thing is an air silencer, designed to reduce intake noise as mentioned above. Removing that silencer is one of the reasons why you gain power with an aftermarket lid. The other reasons are the elimination of the ridges on the underside of the lid, and the round collar that connects to the MAF (rather than the oval-to-round merge of the stock lid). So in summary, adding a silencer to the aftermarket lid would negate much of the potential gains of the aftermarket lid.

As far as appearance, I personally like how the engine bay looks a lot better without the clutter of the silencer, so I have never missed it. But of course this is just an opinion thing....although I guess it does count as weight reduction as well.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Only mod my butt meter felt where headers with tune I seen a recorded diffence with
Milage with the chrs1313 ram air kit went up almost two mpg but I drive all highway.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That "E" shaped thing is an air silencer, designed to reduce intake noise as mentioned above. Removing that silencer is one of the reasons why you gain power with an aftermarket lid. The other reasons are the elimination of the ridges on the underside of the lid, and the round collar that connects to the MAF (rather than the oval-to-round merge of the stock lid). So in summary, adding a silencer to the aftermarket lid would negate much of the potential gains of the aftermarket lid.

As far as appearance, I personally like how the engine bay looks a lot better without the clutter of the silencer, so I have never missed it. But of course this is just an opinion thing....although I guess it does count as weight reduction as well.
Air silencer? Odd. I could understand such a thing on a Malibu Maxx or an Aveo but you would think that people buying an F car would want to hear whatever noises they can. Oh well. What I truly can't believe is that I've been choking my car since I bought the damn thing by replacing the MTI lid with the stock WS6 assembly!!!!!111 Lol, live and learn I guess.

Another question: should I switch back to the standard, shorter T/A lower air box, or keep the taller WS6 lower air box? I can't imagine it makes a lick of difference but it couldn't hurt to ask.
-And to think I almost threw that MTI lid and lower air box in the garbage, too...

Last edited by myk; 05-01-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by myk
Another question: should I switch back to the standard, shorter T/A lower air box, or keep the taller WS6 lower air box? I can't imagine it makes a lick of difference but it couldn't hurt to ask.
Keep the taller one, it's a good thing to have so long as it fits ok with your hood. It looks like you have a WS6 hood already, so this piece is a perfect match. The difference probably isn't anything significant, but it certainly doesn't hurt, and you already have it, and it was meant to work with the WS6 hood.

Good thing you kept the MTI lid though.