New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a ZL1 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012 | 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Anyone with a ZL1 yet?

Anyone had a chance to thorouhly try it out yet? All I see are the "magazine reviews" and ppl on boards claiming it "rulz!" or is a "fat pig pos thats only gonna see gt500 tail lights". Lol so anyway I'm just tryna get a nonbiased review of the car from someone not getting paid to review it. How is it in terms of performance vs refinement in day to day use and uh... Spirited driving? How does it compare to a GS Corvette (it's intended benchmark, I believe) in the same regards as above?

Im gonna be in the market for either of the cars in the near future and honestly I've been on he fence for years about buying a vette or continue dropping my paper love into my 02 SS. So, share some thoughts!
Old 06-20-2012 | 09:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Everyone I know that had a ZL1 traded it in on a 2013 GT500. True story.
Old 06-20-2012 | 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Everyone I know that had a ZL1 traded it in on a 2013 GT500. True story.
and everyone that did was better off for it.

True story
Old 06-20-2012 | 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Well damn that's disappointing...
Old 06-21-2012 | 11:12 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Kidding aside, the 5th Gen section would be a good place to start...I'm sure somebody has to have one by now.

As for continuing to drop paper on your '02 SS vs. buying a ZL1 or a Vette, it depends on what you want. I swore up and down I'd never sell my Camaro, but late last year I reached a breaking point where I realized I would have to dump a TON of money into it to make it what I wanted, and it still may never have been enough. So I took the money I was going to use to modify my Camaro and I put it towards something else. It was the right move for me, because I'm way happier now that I have a better platform to build from. GS and ZO6 Vettes were also on my short list, but I wanted something different.

Having spent some seat time in a GS Vette, I can tell you that they are very nice cars...even they were way more than my Camaro could have ever been. I've not driven or even been in a 5th gen Camaro (much less a ZL1), so I can't say how they would compare, but I will guarantee you that the Corvette will give you a better platform to build from if you can get over the 40-50 year old mid-life crisis stereotype that goes along with them.
Old 06-21-2012 | 11:27 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by usnfenix
and everyone that did was better off for it.

True story
Your dumb

True story
Old 06-21-2012 | 11:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

We have one local here in CT. Former LS1tech Sponsor Eastside Perf. out of Wallingford. Kenny the owner drives around town in it. I know it has gone to the track, stock ran 11.40's with multiple different drivers I think it was LVD. Basically saw the car in a local market and got to talking with a person who knows more than I do and got the scoop on the track times. Unfortunately could not find him when I saw the car but if I see it again I'll get more info.

Nice car red, with the black/stripes, dark rims.

As for the other questions, cannot answer as I'm not that lucky to get to drive it. So I know they are out there, just question of who gets to own one and actually race it.
Old 06-25-2012 | 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Local guy here bought one.... got smoked at the track by a 2013 gt500.. he sold it and put the cash down on a ZR1 =].. it was a good concept.. but ford brought their guns this time.
Old 06-25-2012 | 05:45 PM
On The Tree

OP, if you're looking for reviews making the ZL1 out to be better than the GT500, it's not. Unless it's a biased review, but you don't want those, remember?

GM has kind of fallen as of late and Ford has their A game out right now. Your best bet is a ZR1 at this point.
Old 06-25-2012 | 05:48 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
Local guy here bought one.... got smoked at the track by a 2013 gt500.. he sold it and put the cash down on a ZR1 =].. it was a good concept.. but ford brought their guns this time.
That's bs. Anyone that could afford a ZR1 would've bought it from the git go.
Old 06-25-2012 | 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS WON A4
OP, if you're looking for reviews making the ZL1 out to be better than the GT500, it's not. Unless it's a biased review, but you don't want those, remember?

GM has kind of fallen as of late and Ford has their A game out right now. Your best bet is a ZR1 at this point.
I wasn't looking for reviews comparing the ZL1 to the gt500 at all. I simply was looking for a review of its performance and refinement in general. If I want it compared to anything it's a GS Corvette like I said. I know the GT500 is faster in a straight line. That much more power and less weight it should be. Around a track is still debateable I think.

That being said I honestly don't care about the gt500. I don't like the way mustangs have looked for the past 8 years and won't own one.
Old 06-25-2012 | 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

to me they both lack the certain "damn" effect that a ws6 gives you. they are both really heavy.....but as far as what I have seen, the camaro will stomp it on a road course.....problem is...there are not that many guys going to road courses. the gt500 obviously outperforms it by alot. I think the motor is awesome. The zr1 is the only car I can think of that GM currently makes that will outrun it flat out. I hope to see the new camaros lose some weight, make a little more power, and have better aerodynamics instead of the brick design. not that the mustang is leaps and bounds better really.

GM should have really bumped the camaro up more. all that motor only to produce such a small crank rated hp number is pure garbage. they should have popped a lil more boost or something into it. a 6.2 with a blower should be making more than a 5.8 the way i see it.

its sad we live in a world where gm is making great motors and putting them in tanks. weight and style are everything. imagine if a new (real) TA were to somehow come out for 2015. if they just started with the 4th gen design and added some improvements, didnt put 20's on it, and kept the weight down itd sell like hotcakes. its a purpose built machine. nothing fancy other than some nicer interior like the GTO's have... all they have to do is ask the consumers what they want, and we will tell them. they build first then ask why it didnt sell afterwards. its sad ford has a racing division that gets their dealers to install blowers and stuff and still offers a factory warranty, where if you tune a zl1 i bet it voids the warranty.
Old 06-25-2012 | 10:05 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Dude nobody wants a ******* Pontiac. If they would've brought the GTO over as a Monte Carlo it would've been a instant hit. If the G8 would've been a Impala it would've been a instant hit. GM was to dumb to understand this until it was to late. They were to busy trying to shove SSr junk down our throats. They could've and should've stopped making pontiac, olds and buick in the early 80's......and until the cts-v caddy only made junk to. Set GMC out to pasture to is what I say. They had a awesome chance at a very unique truck line if the would not have tried to move it to upscale in the Hummer......but they fucked that up too.
Old 06-25-2012 | 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

he sold it to get a zr1. he didnt get one at first because he didnt want to spend that much money. he traded his c6 Z in on the ZL1 because of the price he got. hes now about 90k in the hole hahaha. But he has a nice Arctic White ZR1 in his garage that hardly gets driven.

as far as the ZL1's handeling.. it corners really well. The overall Fun Factor could be improved with a nice exhaust system to give it better sound..
Old 06-26-2012 | 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Just my opinions... The 2011 and up V8 Mustangs are all great cars, but I agree with the OP; I can't stand them and they are ubiquitous.

Corvettes are the ideal performance platform for guys like us who have spent years messing with GM pushrod V8s, but the old lady thinks any 2-seater is too impractical and again, they are ubiquitous.

About 5 or 6 of my co-workers own 5th gen Camaros (they are ubiquitous). Once in a while I drive my car to work and all those Camaros are parked along the back row. Their cars are nicer than mine, interior, exterior, fit and finish, flush-fitting body panels, etc. Mod for mod their cars would be faster (none are modded). Thing is, my 12 year old car looks absolutely stunning sitting there beside all those big boats. It looks sleek, muscular and overall badass. And it's fast enough. It's getting rare to see one in such good shape, like mine is.

I'm keeping it. All the things that annoy me about my car have not changed the fact that I love it. At least until the kids are grown and the old lady submits to a 2-seater.

Not a suggestion one way or the other, but don't underestimate how much you'll miss an 02 SS when you trade it in for something "modern!"
Old 06-26-2012 | 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
Thing is, my 12 year old car looks absolutely stunning sitting there beside all those big boats. It looks sleek, muscular and overall badass. And it's fast enough."
I agree with everything you said but this, real muscle cars back in the day were big heavy cars with even bigger engines, I would say 4th. gens are more sports cars and the new camaro is more of a muscle car. But like you said i would never trade my 4th gen for a 5th their just too big and everyone has one
Old 06-27-2012 | 07:35 AM
Teching In

The 5th gen is like a mustang....Everyone has one. My 67 year old lady neighbor has one. No compare to the 4th gen. Plus all the 5th gens look the same to me just different colors. No disrespect but I will NEVER own a 5th gen.
Old 06-27-2012 | 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lsxformie
The 5th gen is like a mustang....Everyone has one. My 67 year old lady neighbor has one. No compare to the 4th gen. Plus all the 5th gens look the same to me just different colors. No disrespect but I will NEVER own a 5th gen.
Old 06-27-2012 | 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

although the ZL1 does look sick...
Old 06-27-2012 | 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw one driving the other day around here in the chicago burbs. It was black. Looks sick indeed. I was NEVER a fan of the 5th gen camaro, but I have to say, the ZL1 has got me to like them. I guess it just needed to be dropped and some bigger wheels. Id buy one if I had the $.