Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching cam to factory heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CLAYMACs2000
I have been reading alot about cam selection in our forums as well as my LS1 build book that was published in 2003, but have not found the answer that I'm looking for.

I have a 2000 Camaro SS 6 speed car. I have a ported and polished throttle body and an SLP air box lid. This winter, I plan to install a set of long tube headers, 4.10 gears, and a cam (along with valve springs).

Taking the heads off is not in the cards for me. I only put about 1k miles on it per year. the car goes out on date night and to cruise nights.

I want a cam that makes good power down low and mid range. For cruising around car shows, I would really like to have a tough sounding idle.

I was hot for the GMPP HOTCAM, but was not sure if there was another cam that someone has experience with that may be a better performer with the factory heads and piston valve reliefs. Any help or guidence would be much appreciated.
I would lean towards running slightly more exhaust duration since the stock heads don't flow as well as ported oem or aftermarket cnc heads. IMO, any of the 3 cams I listed would work great based on you needs/wants. A 226/230, 227/231, 228/232 with a 110-111lsa would also be really good options but, IMO not the best.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP asked the right question and gathering important info to make an informed decision, this is cool. Hope you find the right cam!

However , do stock transmissions with a stronger cam make a difference between an A4 or M6? I am assuming a different cam be recommended with the six speed due to an absence of a torque converter.

Last edited by SS1Eagle; 08-18-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: A4 vs M6
Old 08-19-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to ls1howto.com for pics and instructions.you won't have any problems with the valve covers.you will 2 5/16 dia steel or wooden rods for holding up the lifters.the hardest part is installing the balancer bolt.I agree ,the tsp 228r cam pkg would work great in your car.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Teching In

I read that using a LS7 crank pulley bolt to insure plenty of threads bite.have you guys tried this method?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Teching In

WOW, I can't believe how helpful everyone has been. And there wasn't any cyber-fighting over differences in opinions. I was once a member of a Subaru Impreza forum that had a very different culture. I LIKE THIS!!! I will continue to read on this subject while saving my $moola$. I am leaning towards the TSP 224/228 WITH 111 LSA. I'll probably get their install kit that comes with springs and push rods and am up in the air on the tune. Texas Speed does a mail in tune, but I've also read good things about Frost.

Any thoughts on having the cam grinder tune the computer or sending the cam to Frost.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well it always helps when you're given some good useable information, I based the cams I chose off of what I highlighted above. I would still recommend you find a good tuner in your area over a mail order tune. IMO, nothing beats having a tuner be able see/hear/smell/feel the results of the adjustments right then, and if it's not the right one then He can make adjustments right then on the spot.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Well it always helps when you're given some good useable information, I based the cams I chose off of what I highlighted above. I would still recommend you find a good tuner in your area over a mail order tune. IMO, nothing beats having a tuner be able see/hear/smell/feel the results of the adjustments right then, and if it's not the right one then He can make adjustments right then on the spot.
+1 This^^
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the props. I know that to be happy with my final product, I need a plan.

I will start a new thread when I begin the project.

I did some asking around and found that a good friend of my old man has been working at KC Engines. The have a chassis dyno and I hear that they do a lot of work on LS motors.

Have any of you in the Kansas City area done any work with them?

www.kcengines.com
Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

I am running the Lingenfelter gt1 cam (.218,.229 .563,.563 on 113 lsa) with stock yellow springs (which Lingenfelter recommends) ls6 intake and longtubes and put down 404 rwhp. It has awesome all around power and nice choppy idle. Sure I could have went bigger....sometimes bigger is not always better.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by CLAYMACs2000
I have been reading alot about cam selection in our forums as well as my LS1 build book that was published in 2003, but have not found the answer that I'm looking for.

I have a 2000 Camaro SS 6 speed car. I have a ported and polished throttle body and an SLP air box lid. This winter, I plan to install a set of long tube headers, 4.10 gears, and a cam (along with valve springs).

Taking the heads off is not in the cards for me. I only put about 1k miles on it per year. the car goes out on date night and to cruise nights.

I want a cam that makes good power down low and mid range. For cruising around car shows, I would really like to have a tough sounding idle.

I was hot for the GMPP HOTCAM, but was not sure if there was another cam that someone has experience with that may be a better performer with the factory heads and piston valve reliefs. Any help or guidence would be much appreciated.

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garygnu
maybe look at the ed curtis street sweeper .
^^^Good cam here.

But the 224 and 228 cams are good too.

Also, a real tune is always worth it over a mail order tune.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock heads don't respond much to higher lifts. If you're
committed to staying with the 241s, then don't bother
with a high lift cam. I've seen some charts of flow vs lift
somewhere around here, for various heads. Probably buried
in the Internal Engine section, a year or three deep.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Alright, I'm back on this post. I ported and polished my own throttle body and got the SLP lid. I decided to go with the BBK long tube heads, not the stainless steel headers that I was originally aiming for. They are sitting in my garage with the y-pipe. So.... I am soon to have the headers and no cats! Hopefully my wife or parents decide that the Motion 4.10 gears are a great gift for their loving son. Ha Ha, no really! I plan on getting some Poly motor mounts to install while I'm doing the headers. I need to post a couple pictures of my car because it is beautiful!!! It was purchased new by my Mother in 2000, and I've been staring at the beauty since then. She got tennis elbow and couldn't drive it anymore. That's when I acquired it. I used to want to keep it all stock, but that hard for someone with HOTRODDING in the blood to do, so here we go. I am going to approach my friends at KC Engines about some possible head work on my 241's. But, I still have a hard on for the Texas Speed 224/228 cam with 111 or 112 LSA. If someone thinks there is a better cam selection for the factory 241 reworked heads, let me know. Remember, I don't want to spin my mill over 6k. Is everyone still happy with my combo? by the way, I am going to keep my factory SLP duel duel exhaust. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still think you'll be happy with your choices.

FYI, just keep in mind that the cam, headers, and ORY-pipe will make the exhaust system smell and louder. So, if you think the exhaust smell is going to be an issue you'll want to either add a catalytic converter/s or go with a smaller cam.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php...0&ref=gnr-prev
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I still think you'll be happy with your choices.

FYI, just keep in mind that the cam, headers, and ORY-pipe will make the exhaust system smell and louder. So, if you think the exhaust smell is going to be an issue you'll want to either add a catalytic converter/s or go with a smaller cam.
Exhaust smell will just be reminder that I'm HOT RODDING!!! I live for this!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Stock heads don't respond much to higher lifts. If you're
committed to staying with the 241s, then don't bother
with a high lift cam. I've seen some charts of flow vs lift
somewhere around here, for various heads. Probably buried
in the Internal Engine section, a year or three deep.
What is your definition of a "high lift" cam? I havn't been able to find this chart that you mentioned. can you lead me to it?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most likely over .600".
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

You could always talk to Maxx Mitchell (ls1tech unsername) or Justune (I think he tunes for MC Racing). They do alot of the tuning in the KC area and have tuned some really high horsepowered ls cars.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Teching In

well I went with an off the shelf TSP 228R with 112 LSA. Installing comps rocker trunion bearing kit, bee hive springs, self ported oil pump, and a mail order frost tune. I hope to fire it up memorial day. Thanks again for everyones input and advise.

Quick Reply: Matching cam to factory heads