Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok so wats the best daily driving cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok so wats the best daily driving cam

ive been lookin and everybody says a ls6 cam is best but i want more than that a 400 + hp goal is to be reached with a cam exhaust intake wat u guys think about a good set up and the car will be a m6 and the exhaust cant be that load but there is goin to be no cats but just for the neighbors sake a 6:30
Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS6 cam would be a waste of effort IMO. I like the VRX4, but there are alot of popular choices like the tr224, tr228. DD'able is really subjective to an extent. My car drives fine and doesn't overheat or anything but it thumps like crazy, so if you could live with that you could technically DD it.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Best DD cam, is the stock cam.....just throw a 150 shot on it....problem solved..
Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

lots of choices. DD friendly will vary. i have a pretty aggressive custom cam and i can live with it though i dont drive it everyday.

you can keep things tame sound wise by choosing a correct catback.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

I might get called a retard and get your thread locked by these **** *** useless mods but the newer LS6 cam is a .550 ish lift cam and it could put you right around 400 hp maybe more with some intake and TB mods but you start sacrificing driveability for power around the 450-500 mark unless you go turbo. If you eventually want to go turbo, the LS6 cam is an excellent turbo cam and offers pretty good reliability, driveability, and availability. You can most like find somebody with a ZO6 that changed their cam and will sell you their cam and valve springs as a package. I manged to find a deal like that anyways and have all of $100 in the whole deal. Beware if you make that kind of deal cuz the earlier LS6 cams were only .525 lift and have blue valve springs as opposed to yellow. I of course am a retard and know nothing about what I say so make sure to not listen to me
Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how loud a car is mostly depends on the exhaust .you should have a ls6 intake and a ported throttle body.if you list every thing about your car the people who know cams can help you.a M6 allows for a wider variety of cam choices ,and a more aggressive cam.you will need a good clutch.I have seen a ed curtis street sweeper make 400+ rwhp with stock 241 heads.damion has a great cam that should make 400+rwhp .a tsp torquer v3 mite meet your needs.there are so many variables that go into picking the best cam for any giving car that the average person gets lost.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
LS6 cam would be a waste of effort IMO. I like the VRX4, but there are alot of popular choices like the tr224, tr228. DD'able is really subjective to an extent. My car drives fine and doesn't overheat or anything but it thumps like crazy, so if you could live with that you could technically DD it.
im fine with a thump dude i love that just lookin for one thats easy to daily drive with a stock clutch

Originally Posted by Boosterado
I might get called a retard and get your thread locked by these **** *** useless mods but the newer LS6 cam is a .550 ish lift cam and it could put you right around 400 hp maybe more with some intake and TB mods but you start sacrificing driveability for power around the 450-500 mark unless you go turbo. If you eventually want to go turbo, the LS6 cam is an excellent turbo cam and offers pretty good reliability, driveability, and availability. You can most like find somebody with a ZO6 that changed their cam and will sell you their cam and valve springs as a package. I manged to find a deal like that anyways and have all of $100 in the whole deal. Beware if you make that kind of deal cuz the earlier LS6 cams were only .525 lift and have blue valve springs as opposed to yellow. I of course am a retard and know nothing about what I say so make sure to not listen to me
wat yr is the new cams?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by prerunsilvy11
im fine with a thump dude i love that just lookin for one thats easy to daily drive with a stock clutch
The stock clutch can barely handle a stock engine with a clogged fuel filter and 3 broken spark plug wires lol
Old 08-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
how loud a car is mostly depends on the exhaust .you should have a ls6 intake and a ported throttle body.if you list every thing about your car the people who know cams can help you.a M6 allows for a wider variety of cam choices ,and a more aggressive cam.you will need a good clutch.I have seen a ed curtis street sweeper make 400+ rwhp with stock 241 heads.damion has a great cam that should make 400+rwhp .a tsp torquer v3 mite meet your needs.there are so many variables that go into picking the best cam for any giving car that the average person gets lost.
ya haha but i think i might go with the 224 or i wana know if comps 275THR9 cam is any good for daily driving because ive heard it makes great power
Old 08-26-2012, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

wat yr is the new cams?
02 up ZO6 Vette
Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Teching In

The stock clutch can barely handle a stock engine with a clogged fuel filter and 3 broken spark plug wires lol
ya i didnt know y i put stock i would probably get a zoom clutch

02 up ZO6 Vette
ok cool
Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

I have a stock clutch just to get my car on the road again after the 6 speed swap but I'm not keeping it for long (not like it will last long anyways)
Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Teching In

I have a stock clutch just to get my car on the road again after the 6 speed swap but I'm not keeping it for long (not like it will last long anyways)
wats all done to ur car
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

My point is that it just what level you would be willing to live with. My car has a cam in the 240's some would say no way they would DD that, others would live with it. With the 4.10 gear it drives pretty good.

Any cam as long as its tuned correctly and you have the right supporting mods will drive fine as far as not stalling and how it actually runs.

It's just what kind of power band you want. How often your willing to change your valvesprings. What type of gearing you would be willing to run, so on and so forth.

220's and low 230's seem to be what most people like.

Again I think a Z06 cam would be waste of labor to install.

You should change your clutch no matter what really, even with bolt-on's only you'll want something with more holding.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Teching In

My point is that it just what level you would be willing to live with. My car has a cam in the 240's some would say no way they would DD that, others would live with it. With the 4.10 gear it drives pretty good.

Any cam as long as its tuned correctly and you have the right supporting mods will drive fine as far as not stalling and how it actually runs.

It's just what kind of power band you want. How often your willing to change your valvesprings. What type of gearing you would be willing to run, so on and so forth.

220's and low 230's seem to be what most people like.

Again I think a Z06 cam would be waste of labor to install.

You should change your clutch no matter what really, even with bolt-on's only you'll want something with more holding.
it will probly have 3.55s and a 224 because i dont want a heavy clutch if its not built and i like the power band for them everybody seems to like the powerband of them
Old 08-26-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't even bother changing gears if your going to go with a cam like that. Waste of money. Just save for a better rear end. I put 4.10's in my 10-bolt and it ended up being a complete waste and now I'm building a 9 inch.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't even bother changing gears if your going to go with a cam like that. Waste of money. Just save for a better rear end. I put 4.10's in my 10-bolt and it ended up being a complete waste and now I'm building a 9 inch.
ok cool and wats the best brand for that 224 im only 16 so i know enough but u guys know more than i do and im trying to learn the ls motors because that is wat im gana own most of my life so just gettin a head start i have a yr to find out wat i want to put on my car when i get it
Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

224r : http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1146-te...-camshaft.aspx

Might want to read this too:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html

LOTS of info in the stickies, just get to reading. There is so much info on this site from just searching you should be able to find anything you need before thinking about weather you need to make a thread.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 08-26-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

I don't see how adding 80 hp with a stock GM cam is a waste of time but whatever. If you want a reliable set up, trash the junk 10 bolt and put a rear end under it that can take more than v6 power. 12 bolt, 9inch, even 8.8 would be a better deal than a 10 bolt. At least then you could get the stock power to the ground and not be walking on eggshells to keep it alive. Go with a twin disc if you want a light pedal but they are pricey. My car is stock with 202k on it and I wouldn't trust the stock clutch or rear end as far as I can throw them. It's just my DD but running 13.2 on a daily driven stock million miler aint a bad deal.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

texas speed and thunder racing have great prices on complete cam pkgs.you can get a mail order tune from frost for a great price.

Quick Reply: ok so wats the best daily driving cam