New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter tick

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10mpg? What all is done to this engine? It's hard to guess what it could be without a video. No, a tune has nothing to do with the sounds your engine is making.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah 10-12 city. I fill up with 10 gallons every time and keep track. It's a stock ls1. Long tubes and intake. My speedo is right on at 70mph, judged it next to a friends car on the freeway. But if it is slightly off I could be getting a wrong mpg reading.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Any updates on this?
10-12 is pretty bad for a bolton car.. I get 12-14 (pretty bad) with H/C LQ4. May or may not have anything to do with it.
I'd say lifter tray.. happens to the best of us. ha.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stinkynuts
Any updates on this?
10-12 is pretty bad for a bolton car.. I get 12-14 (pretty bad) with H/C LQ4. May or may not have anything to do with it.
I'd say lifter tray.. happens to the best of us. ha.
I get about 13-15 on my setup(in sig).

I used to get 17-18 on my bolt-on only LS1... Somthing isn't right if he's just getting 10.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Default same

i just swapped my 2000 ls1 with 29000 miles out bc my 98000 had a blown head gasket and rear main seal, i put some shitty oil in it with lucas add from oreilys and i have the same damn ticking but it got louder once i took it to ortega highway and drove it a little hard. but think its the damn lifters bc its only drivers side and i hear it more in the rear any one fix his issue or was that the prob and can i just torque them and see????
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Teching In

No updates yet. Now that its cooler here the noise is much quieter. I got some help from norotors to see what I need to do. Right now though I am redoing the fan/rad setup so I might tackle it after that.

I kind of have a decision to make. I think it may need a dyno tune to fix the mpg problem. But it costs 500$ and I don't know if I should do that or tear all this stuff apart to find the tick. I was told by a fellow mechanic who has a lot of experience building these engines that I should first try switching to 10w30 instead of 5w30.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Teching In

before you go crazy there are two things you can do easily

first thing is to check the preload on the lifters to see if one is collapsed/obvious issue.

let the motor run a bit so they are good and pumped up

then pull the valve covers and then one at a time go through all the valves

on the valve you want to check first make sure the lifter is on the base circle of the cam, easy, just roll the engine over and watch the rocker, when it is not moving it is on the base circle

then back the 8mm rocker bolt off making sure you are on the base circle

with your fingers and socket screw the bolt back in until there is zero lash, you will be able to feel this with your fingers

once at zero lash take the rocker bolt up to proper torque, but count how many revolutions it takes the bolt to achieve this

watch for an outlier and let us know your results

second thing you can very easily do is pull the oil filter

use a tin snips or a filter cutting tool to cut the filter open

the filter media is in there like an accordion...... pull the media out and stretch its folds out and see if you have any sort of material there

^^^^^^^ this was from norotors. I just have to get to doing it.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Also on my last tank of gas I got 7.5 mpg!!! I think it's this new bullshit "winter mix" gas that California is using. I filled up at chevron. I was sure chevron had the best gas but I only got 75 miles from 10 gallons.

I can either get a wide band $$$$ and see what's going on or dyno tune it $$$$$$$$. I have no codes. Sensors seem to work just fine. I scoped oxygen sensors, MAF, MAP, IAT, etc. found nothing out of the ordinary. And I drive this thing very easy. With it being around 2,700 lbs I should be getting close to 27 mpg like everyone else with these swaps.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Teching In

I started it up after it sat for a week. It had a loud tick almost like a knock sound but not as heavy and "hammer" sounding. It lasted for a full second after start up then went away. What do you think? Oil delivery problem? Something like that?

Quick Reply: Lifter tick