Sponsored by:

Gm LS purchased - ls1 or ls6???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gm LS purchased - ls1 or ls6???

Hi.
Been scouring the forum for hours now searching part numbers.

I'm in south Africa, and there are very few of these motors around. It was originally imported as a crate engine.

The seller who knew little about the motor told me it was a ls1

But now after checking the forum on the various numbers, I'm unsure if I have a ls1 or ls6 - does it even matter ? If they both 5.7...

My numbers

Block 12561168
Intake 12573572
Heads 241
Injectors 12561462

What have I got? And what kind of power will this push out?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 241 heads it should be a LS1.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the block it's an LS6, according to the heads, it's an LS1. Not sure what the crate engine power numbers are, if different than engines that came in the car from the factory, off the top of my head, but depending on year LS6 engines were rated 385-405hp
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Awesome thanks
So it doesn't really make much difference then?

It's a drift car application Nissan 240sx
I have a edelbrock ***** thumpr cam to install for bottom end torque
Will the 241 heads limit or negate any power improvements the cam provides?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mybo
Awesome thanks
So it doesn't really make much difference then?

It's a drift car application Nissan 240sx
I have a edelbrock ***** thumpr cam to install for bottom end torque
Will the 241 heads limit or negate any power improvements the cam provides?
Do some research. I have never heard of the edelbrock ***** thumpr... I would look at some proven cams.

If you want lots of tourque check out Ed Curtis at flowtech induction. His streetsweeper cams are great for that. Either the streetsweeper ht or the streetsweeper tq. Also either a tr224 or a tsp 224r are good choices, maybe even a 220/220. Try exploring a little more. Since you are drifting just an ls6 cam might be all you need because you really need a cam that is easy on the valve-train. LPE's gt2-3 or the gm hotcam are both good in this regard.

241 heads are known to be great heads. You can get a set of 243's for about $400 though and gain power everywhere. Then if you need/want more then you can get a set of ported 243's from tsp for about $600 more than the cost of the heads, so about $1000.

I would also look into making sure you have an ls6 intake. Is the ls1 pre-2000 or 2000+. If it is a 98' ls1, for drifting you really need to replace the rodbolts with some arp rod bolts, may aswell get arp head studs/bolts too. I would just go ahead and throw in some nice forged pistons while you are there and you are going to need at least a ported ls6 oil pump along with a heavy duty timing chain( ls2 timing chain)

Your also going to need some strong valve springs. I would go with 918's beehives or a good dual spring from patriot. May as well get some ls7 lifters and hardened push-rods, (you need to do research and check out exactly what size push-rods to use, depends on head milling, cam choice, valve size and piston size).

Finally your going to want the turion upgrades stock roller rockers from comp (tsp sells them).

This will make for a reliable engine. Fine tuning for more HP can come from head/intake porting, stroking to a 383, adding a FAST intake manifold later.

Also don't forget you are going to need all the supporting mods. Long tube headers 1 3/4'ths should be fine, at least a 3inch ORY, or an ORX and a free flowing catback or custom exhuast. I would go with a ORX into two dynomax bullet mufflers. If I went with ory I would looking into magnaflow, hooker or the tsp rumbler. Also check out the flowmaster 3inch to 4inch merge/ypipe into a mufflex 4inch catback.

For intake, get at least an slp lid and if you want you can get a 85mm or 3.5 inch ls6 MAF. Slp smooth bellow looks good too. Throttle body porting/polishing does good.

Ls1's in general have lots of potential and many different possibilities. There isn't one best brand to use all the time. It comes down to either what your wallet can allow or what you want. Don't limit yourself to brands like edlebrock or cams with cool names.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mybo
Hi.
Been scouring the forum for hours now searching part numbers.

I'm in south Africa, and there are very few of these motors around. It was originally imported as a crate engine.

The seller who knew little about the motor told me it was a ls1

But now after checking the forum on the various number, I'm unsure if I have a ls1 or ls6 - does it even matter ? If they both 5.7...

My numbers

Block 12561168

Intake 12573572
Heads 241
Injectors 12561462

What have I got? And what kind of power will this push out?
With the above components, custom headers, no mufflers, k&n fillter
Running wasted spark 60-2 ecu
And dry sump system

Can I expect any more power ?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson
Do some research. I have never heard of the edelbrock ***** thumpr... I would look at some proven cams.

If you want lots of tourque check out Ed Curtis at flowtech induction. His streetsweeper cams are great for that. Either the streetsweeper ht or the streetsweeper tq. Also either a tr224 or a tsp 224r are good choices, maybe even a 220/220. Try exploring a little more. Since you are drifting just an ls6 cam might be all you need because you really need a cam that is easy on the valve-train. LPE's gt2-3 or the gm hotcam are both good in this regard.

241 heads are known to be great heads. You can get a set of 243's for about $400 though and gain power everywhere. Then if you need/want more then you can get a set of ported 243's from tsp for about $600 more than the cost of the heads, so about $1000.

I would also look into making sure you have an ls6 intake. Is the ls1 pre-2000 or 2000+. If it is a 98' ls1, for drifting you really need to replace the rodbolts with some arp rod bolts, may aswell get arp head studs/bolts too. I would just go ahead and throw in some nice forged pistons while you are there and you are going to need at least a ported ls6 oil pump along with a heavy duty timing chain( ls2 timing chain)

Your also going to need some strong valve springs. I would go with 918's beehives or a good dual spring from patriot. May as well get some ls7 lifters and hardened push-rods, (you need to do research and check out exactly what size push-rods to use, depends on head milling, cam choice, valve size and piston size).

Finally your going to want the turion upgrades stock roller rockers from comp (tsp sells them).

This will make for a reliable engine. Fine tuning for more HP can come from head/intake porting, stroking to a 383, adding a FAST intake manifold later.

Also don't forget you are going to need all the supporting mods. Long tube headers 1 3/4'ths should be fine, at least a 3inch ORY, or an ORX and a free flowing catback or custom exhuast. I would go with a ORX into two dynomax bullet mufflers. If I went with ory I would looking into magnaflow, hooker or the tsp rumbler. Also check out the flowmaster 3inch to 4inch merge/ypipe into a mufflex 4inch catback.

For intake, get at least an slp lid and if you want you can get a 85mm or 3.5 inch ls6 MAF. Slp smooth bellow looks good too. Throttle body porting/polishing does good.

Ls1's in general have lots of potential and many different possibilities. There isn't one best brand to use all the time. It comes down to either what your wallet can allow or what you want. Don't limit yourself to brands like edlebrock or cams with cool names.
Thanks for the info. What worries me about the mods you suggest
1, everything I purchase will need to be over the net. Locally I can't source any of those parts,
Besides purchase prices I need to consider shipping and customs duty import prices as well as the time it will take for those modifications

Would it not be cheaper for me to purchase a used ls2 6.0l or a used ls7? As a complete motor?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard of the ***** Thumpr, it's a 227/241 duration with mid .500 valve lift. I don't know a ton on cam specs but I think if you could source a TSP 224R you'd be fine with that since it's going in a small lightweight car, being in South Africa I assume parts are a lot harder to get over there, good luck!

I'm not sure what shipping charges would look like but ordering from Australian dealers/vendors may be cheaper, but like I said I don't know, it's something you can look into though.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some 241 heads were put on ls6 short blocks from GM.the ***** thumper cam is not a good torque cam.comp cam 54-455-11 would make more torque.go to comp cams website ,and check out cam quest 6 .check out Texas Speeds website for a good cam,they are very helpful .
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I did read recently in one of the car mags that they had bought a low mile pull out engine out of a 04 Gto that would have been a LS1. Upon further inspection they discovered that the original engine to that car was fitted with a LS6 block. I know there were some enhancements to the ls6 block but don't know the particulars. The 243 heads would be worth some significant hp over the 241's with the right cam. I'm wondering what cam may have been in these LS6 blocks with the 241 heads?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by garygnu
some 241 heads were put on ls6 short blocks from GM.the ***** thumper cam is not a good torque cam.comp cam 54-455-11 would make more torque.go to comp cams website ,and check out cam quest 6 .check out Texas Speeds website for a good cam,they are very helpful .
Thank u
Will do
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
According to the block it's an LS6, according to the heads, it's an LS1. Not sure what the crate engine power numbers are, if different than engines that came in the car from the factory, off the top of my head, but depending on year LS6 engines were rated 385-405hp
Could be 2002 LS1 some F-Bodys got LS6 block that year.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its the late model fbody motor... 241 heads with an ls6 block (doesn't make any more power, better oil passages however)... Ls6 intake came stock on that year as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM
12 Second Club

I had a ***** thumper cam in my old Auto WS6, it was a pretty good driveable cam FWIW. Ran a best of mid 11's @ 115 in a full weight stalled auto WS6 Cam only bolt on car so it's no slouch.

243 heads will gain you 10-20 RWHP depending on supporting mods/auto or stick. They can be had for cheap these days too. 799 heads are basically the same thing, and are even cheaper. Hope this helps and good luck
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM

i have some info on the LS1 - LS6 block ..this may help

Attached Thumbnails Gm LS purchased - ls1 or ls6???-ls5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Gm LS purchased - ls1 or ls6???