New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do next? 500-600$

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know how a stall works man i was just throwin out numbers and ive had alot of experiance with 4l60e tannys ive rebuilt a couple in my days along with about 300 other ones as well .ive worked at multiple dealers along side of about 15 diffrent performance shops leading up to me owing my own shop currently i also worked on steve johnsons race team after i graduated wyotech back in the day .. why does this make me a rookie ?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhctss
You got some serious issues. This was a good thread until you posted as usual. Both of us backed off and made light of it.
I'm 5'3 and 130#s and get beat up and picked on from guys like you every day.. Why wouldn't I have issues?

I don't take false information lightly... You are potentially spending someones hard earned money and time every time you post information. If I post something, it is something I know is correct with multiple tests/track passes/dynos/etc etc to back it. Not something I saw one time on a buddies car or my own car and post it as fact.

I post stuff I know, you two were posting stuff you think you know about with very little actual experience or research on the topics.. That is the difference and that is why I seem "mad". I would be very upset if I came on this web site as a noob and read some of your posts and made my decision based on them.

You think it is odd that the moderator and me of this forum (new ls1 owners) agree with each other 99.9% of the time and often have extremely similar views/posts/etc on topics? But I am out in left field with my posts I guess.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by punisherls6
i know how a stall works man i was just throwin out numbers and ive had alot of experiance with 4l60e tannys ive rebuilt a couple in my days along with about 300 other ones as well .ive worked at multiple dealers along side of about 15 diffrent performance shops leading up to me owing my own shop currently i also worked on steve johnsons race team after i graduated wyotech back in the day .. why does this make me a rookie ?
All I had to go off was that one post... And going from that post, it seemed like you knew little to nothing about how a 4l60e works with a larger torque converter.

Anybody reading it would have taken it the same way I did.

If I was wrong, I was wrong... But that is all I have to go from.

Maybe, judging from that post this post and your initial post that started this, the way you post or the way I perceive it are off... I obviously am not getting the reaction from your posts you are meaning to convey.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
All I had to go off was that one post... And going from that post, it seemed like you knew little to nothing about how a 4l60e works with a larger torque converter.

Anybody reading it would have taken it the same way I did.

If I was wrong, I was wrong... But that is all I have to go from.

Maybe, judging from that post this post and your initial post that started this, the way you post or the way I perceive it are off... I obviously am not getting the reaction from your posts you are meaning to convey.
so what your tellin me is that my intitial advice to wendysue to get a set of headers for a daily driver that dosnt see a track vs a stall on a stock car is wrong or incorrect ? just by going by numbers i threw out that had no bearing on the intial advice ? i know how a coverter works i can tell you every moving part inside of it and what it does mabey i should have been more accurate with numbers but it dosnt change the fact that non of my advice was wrong or inccorect in any way ?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Launching!

can you drop it and let the guy enjoy his thread lemon
Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Teching In

and if you reread all of this bullshit you will also see i never once told you you were wrong in any way i can see that you have knowledge and experiance and i didnt question that but and you keep throwing that 370 build in there ive built much bigger and waaaaaay more powerful ls engines myself so please dont insult my knowledge becuase i asked this forum on a eaiser way to remove a engine from a car some people call that working smarter not harder ..can we drop all this now ??
Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

so what your tellin me is that my intitial advice to wendysue to get a set of headers for a daily driver that dosnt see a track vs a stall on a stock car is wrong or incorrect ? just by going by numbers i threw out that had no bearing on the intial advice ? i know how a coverter works i can tell you every moving part inside of it and what it does mabey i should have been more accurate with numbers but it dosnt change the fact that non of my advice was wrong or inccorect in any way ?
No, I was talking about the gears VS converter with an ET Reduction. And an auto, gears won't even pick up half of what a small converter would pick you up.
It sounded to me like you thought a 3000 converter wouldn't start really moving until 3000 RPMs, which in reality would drive close to stock... A normal pick up could be achieved at 1400-1600RPMs pretty easily, 2000+ and you would be leaving traffic from a red light.

Regardless of what the initial posts said... You cleared it up.

can you drop it and let the guy enjoy his thread lemon
Can you!?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...af-sensor.html

I'm such an *** hole.. I'll help someone just as quick as I will do this.

Funny thing, probably not the last time my advice/input/etc will help you out in some way.... And you post things like this towards me.

You kept it going with Slohawk, why can't I with you?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Teching In

No, I was talking about the gears VS converter with an ET Reduction. And an auto, gears won't even pick up half of what a small converter would pick you up.
It sounded to me like you thought a 3000 converter wouldn't start really moving until 3000 RPMs, which in reality would drive close to stock... A normal pick up could be achieved at 1400-1600RPMs pretty easily, 2000+ and you would be leaving traffic from a red light.

Regardless of what the initial posts said... You cleared it up.

Can you!?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...af-sensor.html

I'm such an *** hole.. I'll help someone just as quick as I will do this.

Funny thing, probably not the last time my advice/input/etc will help you out in some way.... And you post things like this towards me.

You kept it going with Slohawk, why can't I with you?
i agree with you alls i was meaaning to say is that for a daily driver with 60o bucks in his pocket headers are a much better choice for a street daily driver .. lets just let all this go i dont want bad blood buddy i didnt mean for this to go this far my apologies .. we cool ? and bieng that you have alot of experiance with these cars why dont you jump over to my help thread and help me out with gettin my guages to work lmao

Last edited by punisherls6; 01-22-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

i agree with you alls i was meaaning to say is that for a daily driver with 60o bucks in his pocket headers are a much better choice for a street daily driver .. lets just let all this go i dont want bad blood buddy i didnt mean for this to go this far my apologies .. we cool ?
100%!

I can't own a stock converter automatic... I'd take a manual 10 times over one (notice what I have for a DD). However, with a converter.... Nothing is more fun IMO.

The FIRST mod I would do to an auto is a converter, before a lid, intake, exhaust, etc... My buddy listened to me and went with a PTC 4000, had another went with a PTC 3600... They pissed off a lot of stock converter bolt on guys with their "Stock" cars. 7.7s in a 98 Trans am with exhaust only is pretty good... 3600#, stock ls1 intake, stock 2.73s, etc etc.. No tune. Da was around 2500+, not a DA I would love to see.
Nothing makes an auto car more fun IMO and nothing will give the performance gains.

Hope to see you stick around and good luck with your motor swap.. If you need anything gimme a shout.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Teching In

100%!

I can't own a stock converter automatic... I'd take a manual 10 times over one (notice what I have for a DD). However, with a converter.... Nothing is more fun IMO.

The FIRST mod I would do to an auto is a converter, before a lid, intake, exhaust, etc... My buddy listened to me and went with a PTC 4000, had another went with a PTC 3600... They pissed off a lot of stock converter bolt on guys with their "Stock" cars. 7.7s in a 98 Trans am with exhaust only is pretty good... 3600#, stock ls1 intake, stock 2.73s, etc etc.. No tune. Da was around 2500+, not a DA I would love to see.
Nothing makes an auto car more fun IMO and nothing will give the performance gains.

Hope to see you stick around and good luck with your motor swap.. If you need anything gimme a shout.
my 980 car is a stalled auto well it was now its a m22 rock crusher setup habent ran it since then tho but theres nothing like rowing gears on the street lol and will do sorry about all the bickering but you know how it goes lol lmao .. that motor swap has been done a long time now i let the wife drive it and she hit a deer so i built the black one in my sig its my dd as well just trying to get the gauges to work via the easiest route ..
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

my 980 car is a stalled auto well it was now its a m22 rock crusher setup habent ran it since then tho but theres nothing like rowing gears on the street lol and will do sorry about all the bickering but you know how it goes lol lmao .. that motor swap has been done a long time now i let the wife drive it and she hit a deer so i built the black one in my sig its my dd as well just trying to get the gauges to work via the easiest route ..
I do have fun driving them.. Although my 3rd/4th gear doesn't care for me much, alright at all!
I miss my Pewter car WAY too much though!! Few more days...

Yea, I skimmed about the electrical issues... That is NOT my forte! haha I stay far away from wires.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Launching!

lol yeah I can drop it. A stall is defently a sick mod for a auto. That is true. Just be prepared for new tires. Everyone has there opions it seems to always turn in to a measuring contest lol. Thanks for help with maf lol. That seems to be a common problem with these cars. I wander why? Slowhawk yeah dude I dont even want to get started. I havent been that pissed in a long ime lets just say.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol yeah I can drop it. A stall is defently a sick mod for a auto. That is true. Just be prepared for new tires. Everyone has there opions it seems to always turn in to a measuring contest lol. Thanks for help with maf lol. That seems to be a common problem with these cars. I wander why? Slowhawk yeah dude I dont even want to get started. I havent been that pissed in a long ime lets just say.
Eh, I honestly read very little of it... Just something to fuel the fire. I'm good at that!

Not a problem and anytime with the MAF... Once you have a good working one in there, you really shouldn't have any more issues unless something physically breaks, which makes it mechanically not function properly.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Launching!

yeah you got me there
Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Wow certainly wasnt expecting to wake up check my thread and find 3 pages worth haha! Glad that we got it all resolved guys! And for what its worth lemons i actually find you hilarious on any thread that you post on and i just about pissed myself when you described yourself as ugly as sin. Anyway thanks for the input guys, think i will do headers next but the stall with be right after. Thanks for the link on the gibson with LT's too
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WendySue6
Wow certainly wasnt expecting to wake up check my thread and find 3 pages worth haha! Glad that we got it all resolved guys! And for what its worth lemons i actually find you hilarious on any thread that you post on and i just about pissed myself when you described yourself as ugly as sin. Anyway thanks for the input guys, think i will do headers next but the stall with be right after. Thanks for the link on the gibson with LT's too
Glad someone enjoys my posts!
I can't count how many times i mean nothing by a post and people get all bent out of shape over it.. Half the time Im joking around, its the interwebz though, everything is cereal biz.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

im with lemons stall over headers any day. you will notice a huge difference in performance where headers you wont feel it as much. just my .02 cents
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm 5'3 and 130#s and get beat up and picked on from guys like you every day..
The new guys always get scared when Lemons posts....I didn't know you were 130lbs, talk about a driver mod! Damn.

Listen to Lemon, he didn't make an 'opinion' post, he made a factual one. A stalled auto is faster than a geared only auto. End of post.

If the OP wants to have a slower, louder car, go headers!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is I see A4 guys with only lids and catbacks + a convertor and they're mostly running mid to high 12's, which makes me super jelly in my belly because it's going to take me lid, CB, headers, AND great driving to get mid 12's in my M6 :-( And for that reason alone along with everything I've ever heard about A4 LS1's, my recommendation goes to a stall. However, if you just cruise around and want to look and sound good with little concern about speed, go for the headers.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1again
All I know is I see A4 guys with only lids and catbacks + a convertor and they're mostly running mid to high 12's, which makes me super jelly in my belly because it's going to take me lid, CB, headers, AND great driving to get mid 12's in my M6 :-( And for that reason alone along with everything I've ever heard about A4 LS1's, my recommendation goes to a stall. However, if you just cruise around and want to look and sound good with little concern about speed, go for the headers.
Should i change my mind and go stall over the lt's what do you all recommend? I know lemons said PTC, i know yanks are great and a few others, circle d, vig, etc but which one will do the most bang/buck in the 500-600$ range? Im just a poor college student

Quick Reply: What to do next? 500-600$