Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do next? 500-600$

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do next? 500-600$

So i have an 01 ws6, A4. Right now its just lid and catback. So my questiona guys is what would you do with around 500$ or so? Should headers be my next obvious choice or should i start saving up for a cam package? Just looking for opinions and discussion. Thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

I'd do a stall or go with the headers.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

stall,but get a quality unit.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Launching!

If you do a stall you will shred tires. Go with the headers and let that baby breath
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

finish that exhaust...It'll sound and perform better.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

I know i cant get some stainless headers from texas speed for about that price. Anybody know how well they perform? Or would it be better to try and find some used ones here? And i think ill wind up doing a yank stall at some point (probably 3200 or 3600) but not yet
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tsp headers are great I heard. If you get a stall I would get a yank, vig, or a coan. In the 34-3600 range
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Launching!

I got tsp headers. There great and ory tucks nice. I just installed ls6 intake and with headers probaly pushing 345-350 rwhp .i dyoned with ls1 intake and headers 322 rwhp and 323 rwtq on mustang dyno and slipping clutch only to 5800 rpm cause slipping. I got 1 7/8 only cause they were out of the 1 3/4. It is only 1/8 inch difference but 140 cheapier smaller header
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

That was actually my next thing. Do the 1 7/8 really make enough of a difference power wise to spend the extra 100 over just the 1 3/4?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Converter, nothing else will give you even half the gains for that money.

I recommend PTC in roughly 3600, depending on what you have in mind for the car.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

TSP 1 7/8 SS headers, I'm getting mine soon, I've heard nothing but great reviews on these headers.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

My long term plans are full exhaust, stall, gears, possibly (which we all know means probably) cam. Not looking for hugeee power but hitting 400 wheel would be lovely
Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sebastianroher
TSP 1 7/8 SS headers, I'm getting mine soon, I've heard nothing but great reviews on these headers.
Im the same. Heard only good things about tsp. Good power gains and fairly cheap for stainless
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I would start with the basics and get that baby breathing first ..tsp products are always a good choice they make solid products . i would do a stall when you get ready to cam it up .. but after the headers i would do a gear in the back then move on to the cam and heads just my .02 cents either way it wil be a beast happy building
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question.. Why spend 500-600$ and gain .2-.3 max and 2-3 mph max when you can spend the same money and gain .7-1 full second and 2-3 mph?

I'm just curious of the logic behind this is all.

This is to anyone saying headers over a converter.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=lemons12;17080149]Question.. Why spend 500-600$ and gain .2-.3 max and 2-3 mph max when you can spend the same money and gain .7-1 full second and 2-3 mph?

I'm just curious of the logic behind this is all.

This is to anyone saying headers over a converter.[/QUOTE

I just recommended headers over a stall right now because imo a better more efficent running engine is better than scoring better track times not to mention it will need a better flowing exhuast if there is even a chance of a head a cam combo granted you will need a stall for a cam setup but if i was going to do anything shy of headers right now i would do a gear setup cause throwing track times into the mix a solid gear in the rear will pull a better eta than a stall in my own experiance both are deadly tho .. not arguing with you but building a engine is like building a house always best to start with a good foundation
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

To be honest im not to worried about track times right now. I havent even managed to get it to the track yet and wont until summer probably. Right now im looking for power gains and making it the nastiest/best looking/best sounding/sexiest car on the road, not the track. Even mainly stock i smash most anything around town that tries to race me so im going for more street pleasure/performance than track performance. A converter is definitely on my short list of things to do but ive been DYING to know what my exhaust will sound like with LT's. Since i run an uncommon catback its hard to find sound clips especially with longtubes. LT's with a gibson catback, anybody have a clue how it might sound?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by punisherls6
I just recommended headers over a stall right now because imo a better more efficent running engine is better than scoring better track times not to mention it will need a better flowing exhuast if there is even a chance of a head a cam combo granted you will need a stall for a cam setup but if i was going to do anything shy of headers right now i would do a gear setup cause throwing track times into the mix a solid gear in the rear will pull a better eta than a stall in my own experiance both are deadly tho .. not arguing with you but building a engine is like building a house always best to start with a good foundation
Couldn't be flat out more wrong.

I will delete that if you can show me ONE single gear swap that gained just .5 at the track.
I say .5 because that is on the low side of what a converter swap would gain you, a small 3200-3400 would gain that much easily.

I won't even make you find one with DA calculations so hopefully the weather could help pull a better time.

Gears won't hardly reduce your ET a 1/4 of what a converter swap would gain you.
Originally Posted by 01WendySue6
To be honest im not to worried about track times right now. I havent even managed to get it to the track yet and wont until summer probably. Right now im looking for power gains and making it the nastiest/best looking/best sounding/sexiest car on the road, not the track. Even mainly stock i smash most anything around town that tries to race me so im going for more street pleasure/performance than track performance. A converter is definitely on my short list of things to do but ive been DYING to know what my exhaust will sound like with LT's. Since i run an uncommon catback its hard to find sound clips especially with longtubes. LT's with a gibson catback, anybody have a clue how it might sound?
I'll be damned if I drive a stock converter automatic. They are lazy and no fun. I'll take a quiet car that moves out that I have a blast in way before I take a loud car that is lazy and slower than the other.

Difference in opinions I guess.. Some opinions have more experience backing them but whatev!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01WendySue6
good call thats why i said run with the headers my exhaust note changed so much when i threw my bbk lts on there i love them . as far as the gibson with lts ive never heard it in person but heres a vid i found with a gibson cb and bbk long tubes might give ya a better idea sounds beast as hell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtrFrp9wTGcl

Last edited by punisherls6; 01-21-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Hey this a thead tsp did on dynoig the different size headers. Its a little biaz because same headers brand not used that being tsp. Do a search Type in 1 7/8 vs 1 3/4 it has been beat to death . I copied and pasted this from A texas speed repersentive

""""After 5 days of engine dyno testing different combinations & packages I'm proud to announce I finally have some extra time to provide you guys with some of the information we've learned!

The very first dyno testing we did compared header primaries & power output from 3000 to 6000rpm. The base engine was completely stock 01 engine with only a Fast intake installed. We dyno tested both the Pacesetter 1 3/4" coated long tubes & the TSP 1 7/8" long tube headers. The goal was to see how the larger primaries would effect power on a basically stock engine. To my suprise the 1 7/8" headers made a considerable amount more power than the 1 3/4" headers! Power output was virtually identical untiL 4800 rpm when the 1 7/8" headers began to outpower the smaller 1 3/4" primaries. The 1 7/8" headers made a peak hp of 414.x hp & 421lb ft while the 1 3/4" headers made 408hp & 419 lb ft of torque. While this isn't a huge difference, it definately shows that even on a basically stock car the larger headers are still a good investment! Power under the 4800rpm point was virtually identical! Infact the 3000 rpm numbers were 209hp 366 tq from the 1 3/4" headers & 209hp 359.9 tq!

Both dyno runs were backed up several times & the combos used very similar air fuels & locked in timing at 28 degrees. I thought this was a pretty cool comparision, because the common thought is the 1 7/8" headers is just overkill on anything smaller than stroker setups. This is apparently not the case....

Quick Reply: What to do next? 500-600$