New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do next? 500-600$

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, it depends on what's more important to you. If speed go with the convertor, if sound go with the headers. As far as brands, I have no idea as I have an M6 but I always see Yanks mentioned by people. I have no idea who PTC is.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one thing that cracks me up about these boards..

People have no clue who ptc is but think yank is the best thing since sliced bread.

You see Yank mentioned because they are a sponsor.

*That wasn't a knock on you or yank.
Its starting to be better but it still makes me laugh.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wendysue... Why now are you thinking converter. Answer me this.. What do YOU want from your 5-600? Do YOU want it to sound good, be more fun to drive, be faster, be quicker, etc etc.. Only you can answer which one is better. I went through this with Jusginhoover also. I recommended him gears over a converter which best mod for performance and/or money I wouldn't do in a million years, for what he wanted from his money though gears was his best option.

There is a reason I recommend PTC above yank circle d etc.. They all make a good converter, PTC makes a better converter.

And Timmy..
5'10 185#.. And I have always held my own on the play ground growing up, I bounce occasionally as well when not bartending so id like to think I still can. As far as being ugly or tom cruise... I get some hotties so that is irrelevant! Haha
*How someone posts on the interwebz has nothing to with their personality in real life (within reason).
It always does make the new guys a bit timid though, that was what i was saying with not the first and not the last.. Happens every couple months with somebody. A few stick around, most quit posting after a few months and a couple bolt ons. Hoover stuck around!

550$ shipped with a cooler.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Wendysue... Why now are you thinking converter. Answer me this.. What do YOU want from your 5-600? Do YOU want it to sound good, be more fun to drive, be faster, be quicker, etc etc.. Only you can answer which one is better. I went through this with Jusginhoover also. I recommended him gears over a converter which best mod for performance and/or money I wouldn't do in a million years, for what he wanted from his money though gears was his best option.

There is a reason I recommend PTC above yank circle d etc.. They all make a good converter, PTC makes a better converter.
Ive always been considering converter and its something that i will definitely do eventually. But as i said ill probably end up doing the headers just because the exhaust tone and loudness to me makes a huge difference. I really want my exhaust to sound as good as possible (come on im in college, my exhaust makes panties drop already cant wait to see them with LT's ) then ill mod the internals after that
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either way your going to have to go over budget for parts+install. Headers alone are going to run 500$. Same for a stall.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Headers. Gonna have to get them someday anyways. Converter is a nice mod too but start with exhaust and induction. I then would move onto a converter then heads and cam then a nice dyno tune!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Launching!

If you're hard up for cash, go for Ebay stainless LT's for 200, TSP ORY for 150, and then 150 for a Frost tune. I'm going that route but having a local tuner tune my car instead so I can have a spot on tune, dyno numbers, plus someone to retune when I add some more mods. I got lucky and found a local kid selling a set of Ebay LT's who let them go for 160. Sure they're not AR, Kooks, etc., but they'll do the trick for me just fine, and being on a limited budget I wouldn't have been able to do LT's any other way really.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly. I would also say a converter.

I almost have a full bolt on car, and it truly needs a converter bad. I should have listened and went with it first.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1again
If you're hard up for cash, go for Ebay stainless LT's for 200, TSP ORY for 150, and then 150 for a Frost tune. I'm going that route but having a local tuner tune my car instead so I can have a spot on tune, dyno numbers, plus someone to retune when I add some more mods. I got lucky and found a local kid selling a set of Ebay LT's who let them go for 160. Sure they're not AR, Kooks, etc., but they'll do the trick for me just fine, and being on a limited budget I wouldn't have been able to do LT's any other way really.
Yea i actually just saw some stainless lt's on ebay. Racing innovation and supply headers. 1 3/4 for 190$. Anybody heard anything about this supplier? Says they dont bolt up to the stock ypipe but at that price i can buy my ypipe too

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=130819271679&cmd=VIDESC

Heres the link
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Search eBay headers, covered a lot....its taboo to talk about them.

Do you want cheap, China made headers that will probably fit OR expensive, US made headers that WILL fit?

Do it right.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

And Timmy..
5'10 185#.. And I have always held my own on the play ground growing up, I bounce occasionally as well when not bartending so id like to think I still can. As far as being ugly or tom cruise... I get some hotties so that is irrelevant! Haha
*How someone posts on the interwebz has nothing to with their personality in real life (within reason).
It always does make the new guys a bit timid though, that was what i was saying with not the first and not the last.. Happens every couple months with somebody. A few stick around, most quit posting after a few months and a couple bolt ons. Hoover stuck around!
I was a bit jealous, 130# would be a great driver mod! Glad to hear you are of normal dimensions.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the eBay headers thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ease-read.html
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Search eBay headers, covered a lot....its taboo to talk about them.

Do you want cheap, China made headers that will probably fit OR expensive, US made headers that WILL fit?

Do it right.
Touche. Just asking. 95% chance i still go tsp headers. They bolt to the stock ypipe too i believe. If not i can still get the tsp ypipe. Ill look around and see if i can find them cheaper than off the site
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WendySue6
Touche. Just asking. 95% chance i still go tsp headers. They bolt to the stock ypipe too i believe. If not i can still get the tsp ypipe. Ill look around and see if i can find them cheaper than off the site
TSP is made in China as well. No difference.

I would either go eBay headers or Kooks/ARH.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

TSP is made in China as well. No difference.

I would either go eBay headers or Kooks/ARH.
I would love to do kooks or arh but just dont have the money. Let me know if you want to make a donation to the Tyler(me) Foundation! I just know tsp seem to get good reviews and theyre stainless for a good price. Ill look around more on ebay and amazon and here on the site too and decide which set to go with
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have heard horror stories with ebay lts.

Tsp can be a pain too but nothing like the ebay.

Ill pay an extra 200$ to save 4-5 hours of frustration on the install.

If you're going 1 3/4 get coated pacesetters used. I paid 225 for mine nearly brand new.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Timmy, I have read a few good reviews about the Ebay LT's. Here is one right here where the guy said they fit like a glove with the TSP ORY:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ence-pics.html

I haven't really read many negative reviews about them, at least no more than other suppliers when it comes to fitment at least. Haven't heard of anyone having quality/longevity issues either. Again, for someone on a budget, they're perfect. Are they optimal? No, which is why they're so cheap! I have inspected mine up and down and I see no reason for them to fail within 5 years time and the 25k miles they might see within that timeframe. I guess only time will tell though right?

Also, it's not taboo to talk about them, it is however against the rules for me to say "You should go with Ebay over Kooks because they're cheaper and Kooks is overpriced and nobody needs a header that expensive and Kooks fits like crap, etc", WHICH IS IN NO WAY TRUE I AM JUST USING THAT AS AN EXAMPLE. I was just providing another option which might suit his budget a little better. However if he has the money to step up to a more expensive and better quality, proven header then I would obviously recommend going that route :-)

WendySue, no LT header is going to bolt up to the stock Y pipe unless you heavily modify it, which would be a complete waste of time and money.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Launching!

WendySue buy these now if you want headers, this is damn fine deal if you can score them for 520-550 shipped.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-bfg-275s.html
Old 01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was a bit jealous, 130# would be a great driver mod! Glad to hear you are of normal dimensions.

I'll take a decent size any day over shaving a off my 1/4!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll take a decent size any day over shaving a off my 1/4!
Haha.

Quick Reply: What to do next? 500-600$