Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 SLP SS Emissions Test FAIL :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 SLP SS Emissions Test FAIL :(

I failed the CT State Emissions Test for 2 things I didnt understand at first but maybe you guys can assist me with to help me fully grasp it. I dont have an HP Tuners program available right now to resolve this but lets start with the basic info.

1 - vehicle is BONE stock, over 12K on it.

2 - original factory ignition system; plugs wirees, coils

3 - Shell V Power 93 is 3 months old in the tank

4 - O2 sensors are factory original

5 - it passed the emissions test last time , OBD II.

6 - the testing station is 25 miles away, so i drove in 4th gear to heat things up

The test tech rep said it's unfortunate I failed for a car that only sees mileage twice a year ( car shows and emissions testing ) and told me to thrash the SS for a 100 mile round trip to expunge the old fuel and refuel with a 1/2 tank with a bottle of dry gas to "clean" the O2 sensors. I left disappointed but the report said two items werent met for the test, whatever this means its shown below. Help me out !
Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Those are two systems that have to see certain driving conditions to run their tests. Purely related to not driving the car especially if the battery was disconnected recently. I once flashed a PCM a short while before getting tested and got similar report.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot to mention that I did install a brand new Optima Red Top battery right before the test...

So what am I looking at? I don't see HC, NOX or CO readings at all.

I don't want to put needless miles on my SS just to have it register to pass but if i have to I will....

Govt and the so called green initiatives
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Launching!

If it fails any readiness test, that's it. Test over. Same as if you went in with a check engine light. It needs to see some steady driving for ten miles or better and some idling for several minutes with air off and on ect. Shouldn't take more than a couple fully warmed up 15 mile trips with some idling thrown in.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by SSellers
Those are two systems that have to see certain driving conditions to run their tests. Purely related to not driving the car especially if the battery was disconnected recently. I once flashed a PCM a short while before getting tested and got similar report.
This is all there is to it.

If it's an OBD scan test, you need to drive the car until all readiness monitors are complete (many states allow 2 "not ready" for '96-'00 and 1 "not ready" for '01+). Readiness monitors will be reset and read incomplete after the battery is disconnected or the PCM is reflashed/codes cleared.

It has nothing to do with old gas, nor needing any sort of additives. That would only apply to the old exhaust gas sniffer test (I/M240).

The fact you just installed a new battery before the test is the reason that you failed (were rejected). You can expedite the completion of the readiness monitors by completing the OBD Drive Cycle (search this term and you will find the steps). Or, you can just drive the car normally for a few days and the monitors will eventually complete.

Fresh gas and additives aren't going to help you in the least when it comes to incomplete readiness monitors and an OBD scan emissions test.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

This is all making sense to me now, I am looking for Drive Cycles under GM/ Camaro, if this is the route I need to look into.

Should I disconnect the battery and which post or posts altogether for another overnight reset? I feel I should start from scratch before the free retest.

Thanks for the expedited replies, really !

Edit : i found it , now to study and perform the routine
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...odes-dtcs.html
Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SS1Eagle
This is all making sense to me now, I am looking for Drive Cycles under GM/ Camaro, if this is the route I need to look into.

Should I disconnect the battery and which post or posts altogether for another overnight reset? I feel I should start from scratch before the free retest.

Follow steps 1-8 in that link, and you should hit the remaining two monitors that need to complete. No need to disconnect the battery for a reset. Then you'll just have even more monitors to worry about completing during the drive cycle.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Drive about 100 miles. It will complete the drive cycle then.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Use the drive cycle to set all monitors all make sure to turn on rear defroster for two minutes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SS1Eagle

follow this http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html it works 100% if you follow it.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta love big brother government. You need to drive your car (that otherwise wouldn't be driven) to make sure it's not hurting the environment I'm so glad I don't live in an emissions state, good luck with everything!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Gotta love big brother government. You need to drive your car (that otherwise wouldn't be driven) to make sure it's not hurting the environment I'm so glad I don't live in an emissions state, good luck with everything!
I agree.

I wish IL would drop this BS, but at least we only have the scan test and not any visual/sniffer to go with it. Anyway, I have just 5 more emissions tests with my '98 before I can register it as an antique vehicle and be done with that junk for good.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
You need to drive your car (that otherwise wouldn't be driven) to make sure it's not hurting the environment
lol. never looked at it this way... yeah that's some bs. emissions should be based on mileage: one test every 50,000 miles
Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just like everyone said you gotta drive and get some miles on it. I passed ct emissions with lt/ory so there's no reason you shouldn't pass.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

If you drive long enough and often enough, you'll eventually meet the criteria for all monitors to complete, but all that really matters is following the OBD drive cycle if you want to expedite.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like RPMWS6 said - just drive it more. Nothing else. The car didn't fail because the monitors failed, it just failed because the monitors havent ran yet. Just drive it.

If anyone, rather person or repair shop, recommended anything otherwise - then they are not educated in OBD2 emissions.

Edit: I noticed they were EVAP and AIR systems. Those can be a pain to run. AIR usually self tests when its cold, and EVAP tests when the engine is shut off hot (usually, and not every time)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree.

I wish IL would drop this BS, but at least we only have the scan test and not any visual/sniffer to go with it. Anyway, I have just 5 more emissions tests with my '98 before I can register it as an antique vehicle and be done with that junk for good.
Going to be great Iam register mine like that too

Quick Reply: 2002 SLP SS Emissions Test FAIL :(