Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRAM Air Hogs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FRAM Air Hogs

Has anyone heard if a FRAM Air Hog is as good as a K&N air filter? Or is there an even better filter out there? Thanks!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about filtering better or flowing better? Running open filter compared to no filter will net just about the same ET so there's no flow restriction.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Just talking about for normal driving around town. Not racing. Don't have the money if something big breaks & lose my warranty.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't like my K&N drop-in very much at all. The gasket on it is thinner than stock {result of trying to fit two different applications with the same filter}. To make it work with a LS1, they give you a extra stick-on foam gasket. It leaked and I ended up sourceing some thicker foam gasket material to make it leak free. Also, the filter actually has less total filter area than stock due to gasket material seeeping into the filter media when it was made. This uses up about a 1/2 to 3/4s of a inch all the way around the filter.

I could swap a clean paper filter for the K&N at the track and see no increase or decrease in mph or time. I could see a small increase in mph if I ran without a filter.

I bought a Holley when they came out and I'm happy with it. Fits right with out having to use a jippy gasket and it doesn't have the gasket material wicking problem that the K&N has {so it "may" flow better due to more surface area}.

I've looked at the Fram AirHogs, that it. They look good- thick gasket, no wicking but I haven't bought one to try fitmet so I really don't know for sure how well the fit. I think I will wait around till my local WallMart blows them out for cheap and then I will buy one to swap out with my Holley when I service it.

BTW, unless you have a reason to use a oiled gauze filter why buy one? I really don't think you will see any performance gain from it at all. The only reason I have for running one is because I have opened up my hood scoops and sealed them to my airbox. When it rains,,, my filter gets wet. I think that the oiled filter will work better and last longer in these type of conditions. If it were not for that, I'd save a few bucks and save some servicing hassels buy using a paper throw away. JMO
Old 05-03-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Judd, thanks man. That was very informative. Think I'll just stay stock. Figured I could get a few usable everyday ponies off a K&N or something like it. I want to put a lid on. What would work best with that setup???
Old 05-03-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the holly powershot it much better than the k&n, it seals right without a extra foam gasket because the filter edge is thicker.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone here broke his lid with the air hog, last I heard was that Fram was sending him a check for the lid.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Nice Info!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:51 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone heard if a FRAM Air Hog is as good as a K&N air filter?
I'd set your sights higher than that!

Most people here don't like the K&N. It's a pain for some people, and it doesn't give any horsepower gain.

Just stick with the stocker unless you want to use the holley.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

I stay with Ac Delco paper. As long as it looks clean its not restricting anything. The K&N for an LS1 is plain and simply junk.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

When I get a lid what should I use??? A Holley???
Old 05-05-2004, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WECIV
When I get a lid what should I use??? A Holley???
Stick with a Fram paper filter and save your money for worthwhile mods.