Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs / Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs / Tune up

Hey guys, im completely new to cars. Always wanted to learn how to work on cars but dont have very much experience. I have a 2001 firebird formula and im getting ready to do a tune up on it, this will be my first time doing this so im a little worried lol. But anyway, ive been looking through the site and saw ngk plugs are what most people use, so i went up to autozone to get some. Ended up getting some ngk gp platinums and the guy said "youre going to use ngk on a chevrolet engine, ac delco would be better", so thats what led me here. Are the ones i got fine? And im doing msd wires. Im also wanting to get more power, but i also dont have that great of a job to spend a ton on it, ive been looking at getting a volant cold air intake since its not too much and i would probably be abke to do it on my own. Anyone have any ideas of what i could do to get more power to it without spending a fortune and something that someone like me could possibly do on my own?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's right the AC Delco plugs are a better choice since they are iridium tipped not platinum but those will work.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Ok, im really unsure on doing it myself. I just looked and the back one on the passenger side and that looks very frustrating for someone who has never messed with something like this.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Teching In

I got my NGK plugs and MSD wires from Nasty Nate Performance. $77 bucks shipped isn't bad at all.

As far as the passenger side... lol. Wasn't fun at all. I'm a learning teen. Do research on the LS1 plug change. Gloves and a long sleeve, unless you like getting cuts all over your hands and arms. On the passenger side, I took off the bolts holding the coil packs down. Pulled that out of the way and that helped alot. Also the AIR pipe or whatever going to my stock manifold. Doing so I was able to get all the plugs off on that side except for 8. The last one in the back is easiest from underneath. I have skinny arms so that helps to. Hope that kind of helps, Goodluck!

Oh and as far as horsepower.. That volant CAI looks badass. But thats about it in my opinion. I think its makes the engine bay alot purrtier. An slp lid off of someone on this forum or even brand new will get you the same amount of gains. Just worry about full maintenance on the car first IMO..
Old 09-08-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Nordstrom
Ok, im really unsure on doing it myself. I just looked and the back one on the passenger side and that looks very frustrating for someone who has never messed with something like this.
I changed my first plugs and honestly it was a lot better than I thought it would be. This helped me a lot. So it is possible for a first time "newbie" to do this

I, like you, want to and enjoy working on cars but lack experience. But just follow the instructions, use some common sense and when all else fails come here and ask. It feels much better when you do your own work on cars not to mention how much $$ you save

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
He's right the AC Delco plugs are a better choice since they are iridium tipped not platinum but those will work.
I have NGK TR55IX which are Iridium tipped.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive been using NGK plugs in everything I have owned, IMO best plug on the market, most LS guys use either a TR55 or TR6.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

If you're looking to make some decent power for not too much coin, go with some:
Long tube headers, custom/aftermarket catback (I have the flowmaster 40 CB, with no cat, lound and gurgly ) ,A CAI, Aftermarket sway bars (I don't have them, but from what I've read, they make your car handle a lot better) And maybe a tune. It's all up to you and what you can afford. Have fun and good luck!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Ngk tr55s are fine, many people use them without any issues. I would change the fuel filter as well. It's easy to do as long as you do it correctly. Since your budget is limited I would do a lid, headers/y pipe, and good flowing catback (not flowmaster) with a mail order tune.

A good budget exhaust would be bbk headers/y and hooker or magnaflow catback. This is what I have and it didnt cost too much. If you decide to do the headers, do motor mounts you'll thank yourself.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

3 inches of 3/8's rubber hose pushed over the end of the new spark plug will make it a lot easier to thread the new spark plug into the hole.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Ngk tr55s are fine, many people use them without any issues. I would change the fuel filter as well. It's easy to do as long as you do it correctly. Since your budget is limited I would do a lid, headers/y pipe, and good flowing catback (not flowmaster) with a mail order tune.

A good budget exhaust would be bbk headers/y and hooker or magnaflow catback. This is what I have and it didnt cost too much. If you decide to do the headers, do motor mounts you'll thank yourself.
I got ngk spark plugs, msd wires, new air and fuel filter and a new pcv valve. I did order a slp lid which was suppose to.be here today so i couldve got everything done this weekend but wont be here til monday pretty excited to get this all done and see if it runs any better
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J_Nordstrom
I got ngk spark plugs, msd wires, new air and fuel filter and a new pcv valve. I did order a slp lid which was suppose to.be here today so i couldve got everything done this weekend but wont be here til monday pretty excited to get this all done and see if it runs any better
Nice, you should defiantly feel a difference after those. Also might want to change out all the oils and fluids too if you don't know when they were last done
Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Well got the fuel and air filter done, line on the pcv valve was old and ended up breaking on me but got it fixed with the new pcv valve in, driver side plugs and wires are done. Bolt on the air line is way to tight on the passenger side plus it's starting to get dark so hopefully going to get it finished in the morning
Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

If you're on a budget I'd suggest hitting up the parts classifieds on this forum. I picked up brand new ceramic pacesetter headers for $275! I also got an slp cold air intake for $60.

The first mods I performed, and I'm a newbie like you, was the slp cold air intake with k&n filter. Then did the slp loudmouth 2 cat back. Now I'm reupholstering my interior and putting all ebony plastics in it. In the coming weeks I'll be slapping the long tube headers, off road y pipe, prothane motor mounts, MSD plug wires, and NGK spark plugs. Followed by a mail order tune.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigCityFire
If you're on a budget I'd suggest hitting up the parts classifieds on this forum. I picked up brand new ceramic pacesetter headers for $275! I also got an slp cold air intake for $60.

The first mods I performed, and I'm a newbie like you, was the slp cold air intake with k&n filter. Then did the slp loudmouth 2 cat back. Now I'm reupholstering my interior and putting all ebony plastics in it. In the coming weeks I'll be slapping the long tube headers, off road y pipe, prothane motor mounts, MSD plug wires, and NGK spark plugs. Followed by a mail order tune.
Where did you get your interior upholstery? I got a couple panels that are scratched up and in need of replacement but couldn't find anyone who sells them...
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Where did you get your interior upholstery? I got a couple panels that are scratched up and in need of replacement but couldn't find anyone who sells them...
My seat covers were made by Lethal Interiors. You can google that name to get the web site. Amazing work for about half the price of the 6LE seat covers. Everything else I am getting, or have bought from, the parts classifieds here. Hopefully I will have all my parts by Wednesday to finish things up.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Oh, and don't be afraid to try ebay either. You can get almost anything off of there.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs / Tune up