New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Camaro SS SLP, looking to make 450rwhp, any suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro SS SLP, looking to make 450rwhp, any suggestion?

I have a 2002 Camaro SS SLP CME 6 speed, and i want to clear 450 at the wheels. Currently is just has a SLP air lid, LT headers, 3' Y-pipe and cat back exhaust. What performance packages or upgrades can i use to make 450rwhp. I dont want to use a turbo or supercharger yet. If you guys can give me specifics like cam size names, size of injectors, heads, tuning etc... Also porting MAF, Throttle body, heads and intake is it beneficial?

Thanks for your expertise.

Henry.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

Ever think about nitrous?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

AFR has nice heads. trick flow and MAST as well.

for intake id go with a FAST and nick williams TB.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry2002BlueSS
I have a 2002 Camaro SS SLP CME 6 speed, and i want to clear 450 at the wheels. Currently is just has a SLP air lid, LT headers, 3' Y-pipe and cat back exhaust. What performance packages or upgrades can i use to make 450rwhp. I dont want to use a turbo or supercharger yet. If you guys can give me specifics like cam size names, size of injectors, heads, tuning etc... Also porting MAF, Throttle body, heads and intake is it beneficial?

Thanks for your expertise.

Henry.
Search the dyno section and the gen 3 internal engine section, you will get a lot of results, there are different ways to get there depending on how drivable you want the car to be.
Generally speaking you will want at least a mid sized cam (like 228 duration) with at least 600 lift. Heads will really depend on your budget, but something like the PRC 2.5 LS6 heads should do the trick.
At least 36lbs injectors and you might need an aftermarket fuel pump too (you will find out when you get a dyno tune).
Porting the throttle body and MAF are minimal results, really just improve throttle response. You should be able to make your numbers with a stock LS6 intake, but a bigger one will certainly help.
Look up patrick G, he is a sponsor on here that will custom grind you a cam to meet specifications you are looking for.
Check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html
Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will need a fast intake and a 90mm+ TB.look a vengeance racing head/ cam pkg with trick flow heads .or consider some Texas Speed 225 cast heads with a custom cam .the Air Flow research 210 heads are great to.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Teching In

I want a street/strip car, the track is 40 miles away. Also a semi daily driver maybe 2 or 3 times a week to work. What do you think about Texas Speed Magic Stick 3 237/242 .603"/.609" Camshaft. I'm looking for an aggressive idle, and what would be a go LSA to go with? Also should i upgrade to bigger rocker arm besides the 1.7s. For now im keeping the bottom end stock, eventually with is does break i will beef it up but since its the first stage of upgrade i just want to play with the top end.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Stock rockers with trunion upgrade will do. Texas speed head and cam kit will do the trick. Dont forget 42 injectors, under drive pulley, and upgraded oil pump. Ms3 may be a little to top end. Tv3 can make that power with a broader pwr band. Just call texas speed! Those guys rock! Good luck and have fun
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Teching In

On the Tv3 Cam whats a good LSA to go with?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Search the dyno section and the gen 3 internal engine section, you will get a lot of results, there are different ways to get there depending on how drivable you want the car to be.
Generally speaking you will want at least a mid sized cam (like 228 duration) with at least 600 lift. Heads will really depend on your budget, but something like the PRC 2.5 LS6 heads should do the trick.
At least 36lbs injectors and you might need an aftermarket fuel pump too (you will find out when you get a dyno tune).
Porting the throttle body and MAF are minimal results, really just improve throttle response. You should be able to make your numbers with a stock LS6 intake, but a bigger one will certainly help.
Look up patrick G, he is a sponsor on here that will custom grind you a cam to meet specifications you are looking for.
Check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html

That's a great starting point, thanks for the help.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I went with PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L P/P Heads with the Torquer V3 Cam with 111LSA. Only did 35lbs FAST injectors and upgraded to Kooks 1 3/4 Stepped 1 7/8 LT's. My tune is bad, I'm only sitting at 381rwhp. A lot of the same builds from other people are posting around 420rwhp. I'll be getting a retune from a better tuner soon.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS SLP, looking to make 450rwhp, any suggestion?