New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aloha

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I have just purchased an all NorCal 55k mi 1998 Trans Am for an amazing deal. I seriously cannot believe I found such a perfect car. I've always wanted one of these ever since the days I would wake up early on sundays to catch Motorweek on PBS and it was featured. There are only 2 GMs I've ever loved. It's the fourth gen Trans Am and Buick Grand National. If it ain't black, send it back! I look forward to posting my build which most will probably hate on(more on that to come). Any advice on CA street legal mods would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Aloha-image-80836461.jpg  

Last edited by patmald; 02-13-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

good looking bird you have there. Does the car have any mods done to it now?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

good find. youre back in black.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
good looking bird you have there. Does the car have any mods done to it now?
yup exhaust was done 3 pipe with a flowmaster 3 chamber muffler. Then suspension has bilstein on all four corners then eibach springs up front and ws6 in rear. Brakes have slotted and drilled discs (still have no idea the maker, tomorrow's mission) with carbon pads. And wheels and tires are zo6 with nitto rubber. Lastly and don't hate. Auto.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 PM

Also today I got stuck in a traffic jam and I noticed it got a lil hot at 210 then my low coolant light came on. But after I reached my destination, I popped the hood and coolant was fine. Could the high temps cause the sensor to short? Also on my way back home temp hovered 170-180 and light came on again and I checked at home the fluid levels were to fill limit.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 AM
Staging Lane

Its probably just a bad sensor. Mine does the same thing from time to time, been to lazy to put a new one in.

What are your plans for your build?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

good guys wear black, w/o google name that actor? nice ride, i see 2 ws6 cars regularly in the summer and they are sweet. my temp gauge never moves much so i would change anti freeze / coolant flush when you get the chance. you may find a 160 therm but you must tune computer to take advantage of that or no diff. now get out there & burn a rubber road to freedom.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
good guys wear black, w/o google name that actor? nice ride, i see 2 ws6 cars regularly in the summer and they are sweet. my temp gauge never moves much so i would change anti freeze / coolant flush when you get the chance. you may find a 160 therm but you must tune computer to take advantage of that or no diff. now get out there & burn a rubber road to freedom.
. Umm you can't google search chuck norris because chuck is google search...he is all knowing. But thanks for the info jabronee. I'm just going to do a full tune up/fluid swap. Will burn rubber once I have my new set of tires. The nittos have about 1000 left on them so going out to Sac Speedway next month and finish them off.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by slaterdump
Its probably just a bad sensor. Mine does the same thing from time to time, been to lazy to put a new one in. What are your plans for your build?
My plans are to build an all-arounder. One that can do track/drag/autox/street. First thing I plan on tackling is weight saving. Second, finish handling with subframe braces and other body strengthening. Third, intake box/manifold/TB as long as they are CA approved. I am really interested on what the capability of the stock drivetrain is especially if I can improve the power:weight. I'm also an engineer student currently and I have connections to some composite materials so I may be building some R&D parts for myself.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

since you probably have to go with shorties in cali checkout JBA. i think there have been some threads about what cams will pass emissions but i have no idea. if you dont already have a air lid flip yours over to check. if open & smooth your good, if plastic ridges / baffles get one. also look into cai cold air induction, i have the slp box. cheers. ps since you have a 98 ls1 intake you may want to cutoff / remove the egr thing that hangs down inside. either remove the 2 bolts just pass the TB on the intake or look inside your TB open to see obstruction. whether that changes any emission i dont know but it blocks airflow. (atleast my 99 had that) http://www.installuniversity.com/ls1...r/ls1-egr.html , also checkout free ram air mod. you would do this anyways to add my slp cai box.

Last edited by DANOZ28; 02-14-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Aloha