Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Flywheel

I was told that because the aluminum flywheel weighs less , the engine can rev faster but because of the less inertia , less torque ?
Old 07-04-2014, 05:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It depends on the application. In a drag situation where you are launching at high rpm it will cancel out the higher weight through inertia. This only really applies to the launch though. A lighter flywheel is usually going to mean a faster car. Torque is not a LS engine's friend. I have removed a lightened flywheel do to crappy drivability.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
It depends on the application. In a drag situation where you are launching at high rpm it will cancel out the higher weight through inertia. This only really applies to the launch though. A lighter flywheel is usually going to mean a faster car. Torque is not a LS engine's friend. I have removed a lightened flywheel do to crappy drivability.
I have a Spec flywheel as well as their stage 2 clutch kit , I never dump the clutch to save the 10 bolt . Less torque is my friend .
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

My fly/clutch weighs 18lb. Drivability is fine.....you are way off on the drivability Cody. Op you will notice it revving faster and it will help the car to get a lighter flywheel. The best thing you could do for it is find a clutch/fly combo that weighs about 25lb.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does stock typically weigh?
Old 07-05-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
My fly/clutch weighs 18lb. Drivability is fine.....you are way off on the drivability Cody. Op you will notice it revving faster and it will help the car to get a lighter flywheel. The best thing you could do for it is find a clutch/fly combo that weighs about 25lb.
One persons definition of drivability may be different than someone else's. Just like most wouldn't want to drive a face plated t56 on the street.

I have a Monster level 1 with a lightweight billet steel flywheel and think it drives fine, but the whole clutch flywheel assembly still weighs 46lbs. I also don't think Monster recommends using the lightweight flywheel with any of their 6 puck clutch's on a street car.

Originally Posted by Mercier
50 lbs, and most aftermarket pressure plates are heavier than stock so if you don't use a lightweight flywheel you'll end up with everything being heavier than stock.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
52-54lb for ls1 stuff. Ls7 clutch is a touch over 60lb
Originally Posted by Fry_
One persons definition of drivability may be different than someone else's. Just like most wouldn't want to drive a face plated t56 on the street.

I have a Monster level 1 with a lightweight billet steel flywheel and think it drives fine, but the whole clutch flywheel assembly still weighs 46lbs. I also don't think Monster recommends using the lightweight flywheel with any of their 6 puck clutch's on a street car.

50 lbs, and most aftermarket pressure plates are heavier than stock so if you don't use a lightweight flywheel you'll end up with everything being heavier than stock.
Just for a example.......ford mustang clutches typically weigh 38-43lb. Do they have a drivability issue?

The weight of the clutch has little to do with drivability......far less than disc material does. I've talked to Monster about making lighter clutches. We have a difference in theory about that. To put it bluntly....they are wrong. But as long as they are selling clutches they don't and won't care. If they would make one about 25lb~ with a low moi I think they would have the premier LS clutch as they already have a good rep....just a little heavy.

op....go as light as you can afford to go on the clutch. Light clutches will allow the car to accelerate better.....period. It's just the way it is. It's why all forms of racing use light clutches....or at least lighter than stock. Even all the record drag cars.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the stored energy idea(with heavier flywheel/clutch) is completely void or just for special situations? I have never had the budget to be worrying about a lightweight flywheel but the subject is interesting to me.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Flywheel