Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 5.3 budget daily driver build

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 5.3 budget daily driver build

I just picked up a 06 5.3 with 89k miles on it for a swap into a 63 Belair . When i picked it up the guy told me it had a bad cam , so i'm swapping it out with a used stock cam out of a lq9 for the moment . While the motor is out what kind of things should i look for to replace . Lifters , springs , ect ??? And this is a budget build i plan on leaving it mostly stock . Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails 06 5.3 budget daily driver build-06-5.3.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check Texas Speed for the price on valve train parts .buy a cam pkg with a 220 or 224 cam.get the parts you listed ,and a new timing chain and oil pump.look at you rocker arm bearings ,to see if they seem loose .if the cam is bad ,take a good look at your lifters .get new lifter trays .
Old 08-25-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the cam is truly bad and that is it, look to root cause.. Either bad cam bearings or spun lifter so what was already mentioned by you and Gary plus cam bearings and lifter bores.

I would start with "why is the cam bad?" and work back from there. Can't say I would totally trust "just a bad cam" on a stock motor but anything is possible.

Looks clean externally.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garygnu
check Texas Speed for the price on valve train parts .buy a cam pkg with a 220 or 224 cam.get the parts you listed ,and a new timing chain and oil pump.look at you rocker arm bearings ,to see if they seem loose .if the cam is bad ,take a good look at your lifters .get new lifter trays .
Would i be ok going back with new set of stock comparable springs, lifters/trays, valves and the other things u mentioned especially since i'll be using the lq9 until i can afford something else. Where would be best to get said items from?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mercier
If the cam is truly bad and that is it, look to root cause.. Either bad cam bearings or spun lifter so what was already mentioned by you and Gary plus cam bearings and lifter bores.

I would start with "why is the cam bad?" and work back from there. Can't say I would totally trust "just a bad cam" on a stock motor but anything is possible.

Looks clean externally.
Thanks i haven't had a chance to tear it down to even attempt to check it out from lack of space to put and a stand to put it on and my lack of knowledge with engine internals. But thank both of you for your input.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

LQ9 cam is almost identical. Less than 5% more lift. Should not be a problem for the valve springs. But the blue/yellow "LS6" springs are about $60 new so get some(or better) when you can/need.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

LQ9 cam is almost identical. Less than 5% more lift. Should not be a problem for the valve springs. But the blue/yellow "LS6" springs are about $60 new so get some(or better) when you can/need.
Thanks again . I also have 2 more questions I'm thinking of hacking my own harness to save me a couple of bucks is there a specific year i look to get the harness and ecm out of , and i don't have the TB or MAF so i was thinking of just pulling a Ls1 intake at my locate yard do you know if there would be any complications with that or if i have to change my entire accessory drive over .
Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

To run the car intake on a truck motor you need to either get the car front drive setup or modify your front brackets and water pump. The throttle body on a car intake will hit the water pump I believe. I think the cheapest/cleanest way is to find a car(f-body) front drive and accessory setup but do some searching. There was a post about a month ago where a guy just went to town with a cutting wheel and made his truck brackets work with the car intake. It wasn't that bad looking. There is also an aftermarket bracket to relocate some things and then there is a bit of water pump modification needed. Car setup sits much closer to the motor anyway(2" perhaps?) and may be desirable for you to give more clearance in the engine compartment.

The harness question is likely best posted in the conversion/hybrids forum. Every motor into everything with 4 wheels in there so definitely get some feedback there. I think that is where the post about the modified brackets is as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

To run the car intake on a truck motor you need to either get the car front drive setup or modify your front brackets and water pump. The throttle body on a car intake will hit the water pump I believe. I think the cheapest/cleanest way is to find a car(f-body) front drive and accessory setup but do some searching. There was a post about a month ago where a guy just went to town with a cutting wheel and made his truck brackets work with the car intake. It wasn't that bad looking. There is also an aftermarket bracket to relocate some things and then there is a bit of water pump modification needed. Car setup sits much closer to the motor anyway(2" perhaps?) and may be desirable for you to give more clearance in the engine compartment.

The harness question is likely best posted in the conversion/hybrids forum. Every motor into everything with 4 wheels in there so definitely get some feedback there. I think that is where the post about the modified brackets is as well.
Thanks my local yard had one fbody left that they already pulled the oil pan off for me and i was told there was still an intake on it so i'll have to check on the front drive .

Quick Reply: 06 5.3 budget daily driver build