Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am sick of hearing Performance/Handling

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooWS6
I don't hate them man..Just wondering about the thread! I like all sorts of cars too, I have to give people a hard time about "rice"...sorry!

I also have to tell you that I would be pissed if I got spanked by a EVO, or Evolution.

I understand, I was pretty pissed off when I got spanked in my Cobra by a dude in an old POS 300ZX!

And when my buddy was driving my EVO the other day, the dude leaving the BMW dealer in his spankin new M3 was pretty pissed that he got owned too! It was his first time off the lot with the thing, and he got owned in the first mile of owning the car! LOL hahahahaha, Although I'd have to say it wasn't even a fair race with the parts I have.

Still was funny as hell, especially to be in the passenger seat and see it from a different perspective.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

An interesting point with the 98 Z28 and 04 EVO.

Besides inflation, did anyone consider performance updates and such. I doubt the 04' Z28 would perform the same as a 02' or 98'.

*quick edit: these are all what if's and only good for theoretical.
I hope the figures at the beginninggave some insight. I especially wanted to show that the F-Body is not only a drag car. I have the WS6 and it handles allot better than my 99' Firebird did and the 99' Firebird was no slouch.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mako22
"handling" is something that guys with slower cars like to talk about. Go to all the rice forums and you'll see all kinds of that crap. Unless you street race in traffic circle, horsepower/torque is king.
What if you autocross?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
"handling" is something that guys with slower cars like to talk about. Go to all the rice forums and you'll see all kinds of that crap. Unless you street race in traffic circle, horsepower/torque is king.

What if you autocross?
I think our cars have plenty of power, but its about what you do with your car. I want mine to handle, so thats where my money and time goes. I was starting to make it faster, thus the intake and exhaust, but then changed my mind.

The nice thing about an f-bod is that its easy to go fast or turn fast without a ton of work. Its the perfect median, although its edged slightly towards the go fast side out of the box.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're confusing invoice with MSRP Fastrthnu. According to Mitsubishi, MSRP on an 04 Evo is $29,999 per their own website.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jRaskell
I think you're confusing invoice with MSRP Fastrthnu. According to Mitsubishi, MSRP on an 04 Evo is $29,999 per their own website.
Ture. I paid less than that for mine, and so have a lot of others that I've talked to. I think the median price is right at $28 - $29K. There have been a couple of polls on the evolution forum, and at a recent EVO event I talked to a lot of people. Also, I'm sure that an SS or WS6 would go for less than that too just out of sheer volume of them.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Why do I always get this argument? Wet road course?! Think about what you say before you say it, because i'm sure you are not as dumb as you just sounded. When did we all of a sudden gain the need for a car that can carve corners in the snow?
When did you all of a sudden think that any given race course will have the exact same specs as a skidpad?

We'll be waiting for some time if that's the case because the WRX or any other AWD car for that matter "ain't gonna cut it". You think because it's AWD or better balanced (which it's not), it's going to handle the slalom or any set course better? WRONG. AWD improves all weather accelelration and control under acceleration...it can improve handling on dry pavement...but that's only because you *shouldn't* have to worry about overpowering the tires mid-turn.
You can, in general, accelerate harder through a turn with AWD than you can with anything else. You also have less chance of spinning out. A less skilled driver in AWD will be able to hang with a more skilled driver in RWD. This doesn't mean that a good RWD driver won't blow any AWD away.

Other than that, it's the fact that the WRX is a smaller and more nimble car...and even then it barely bests the LS1, cause it's just too heavy - and that's the most important element to begin with. *** ANY CAR on a wet or snow covered course and it will perform abysmally. It's a simple matter of physics, the best tires, suspension and driveline in the world cannot change the laws of motion. A heavy car will handle like a heavy car, and driven hard in the rain, it's just a 3600lb death warrant.
Have you ever watched rally racing? Those are snow/rain/everything covered courses. The cars are always AWD. Why do you suppose that is? And those AWD cars do not perform abysmally.

The WRX is a rally inspired car. The F-body is not. Why compare? You going to take your F-body on a rally course? I'd hope not.

Besides who cares how a car performs in the rain? Anyone who drives like that in the rain deserves whatever painful end they find. My T/A has seen rain twice in it's life, and I *** my best to keep that number where it's at.
Obviously you don't. Which, of course, must mean that EVERYONE ELSE MUST ALSO NOT CARE ABOUT IT.

See that's what I mean...how could you possibly have the need to outhandle and outrun ANY car in the rain? That's just ridiculous.
I find it ridiculous that you are saying these things when apparently you have never been on a race course with curves. You think straight line acceleration is fun, try screaming through a twisty scared to death you don't fly off the edge. Adrenalin is at max capacity. Add some rain or snow or dirt, and it becomes even more intense.

If you don't want to do that, fine. Very few people do.

Get a drag car. That's what I'm doing. Doesn't mean that other people don't want AWD. Or 4 doors for that matter.

You see the dry, clean track as a standard, and putting anything else on it is a stupid argument, because you would never race on a wet course or whatever you'd like to say. Other people don't see that as standard. Other people might like to take their car out for some fun even when it's raining, rather than saying "oh well, it's wet, better drive the Jeep."

Last edited by apathy; 05-24-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FastRThnU
But as far as performance goes, the Vishnu shop EVO just placed 5th overall in the One Lap Of America race.
http://onelapofamerica.com/History/2...ts/OVL_CUM.HTM
Exactly. Those are the 4 top places.

1 4 Porsche 996 TT SSGT1 BB 6820
2 2 Dodge Viper SSGT1 BB 6765
3 3 Porsche 911 GT3 SSGT1 BB 6705
4 25 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 SSGT1 BB 6400
5 49 Mitsubishi Evo MidPri Sed 6335

hopefully the guys who talk about EVO superiority to porsches and vettes will give up whatever they are smoking right now
Old 05-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by apathy
When did you all of a sudden think that any given race course will have the exact same specs as a skidpad?

the Jeep."

Well put, apathy always the voice of reason.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Iv_z28
Exactly. Those are the 4 top places.

1 4 Porsche 996 TT SSGT1 BB 6820
2 2 Dodge Viper SSGT1 BB 6765
3 3 Porsche 911 GT3 SSGT1 BB 6705
4 25 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 SSGT1 BB 6400
5 49 Mitsubishi Evo MidPri Sed 6335

hopefully the guys who talk about EVO superiority to porsches and vettes will give up whatever they are smoking right now

And If you knew what you were talking about that would be even better!

The guy driving the Porsche that won the event was their factory F1 driver, in a factory backed "SuperCar".(read unlimited $) The #2 spot also had a professional factory backed driver, driving a factory backed $100K + car, etc. etc.(read unlimited $) I'm just saying that for a 4Dr $30,000 sedan with $10K in mods ( most of that money is in driveline parts ), that was a hell of a good accomplishment. And if you were to keep reading down the list, you'd see a bunch more Vettes and Porsches.

6 39 Subaru WRX (STI) MidPri Sed 6255
Blake Fuller, Peter Fuller

7 10 Dodge Ram SRT-10 S U V 6140
Marc Musual, Erich Heuschele

8 8 Chevy Z06 SSGT1 BB 6090
Rodney Sizemore, Rick Sizemore

9 21 Chevrolet Corvette SSGT2 BB 6080
Timothy McArthur, Andy McArthur

10 14 BMW M5 Luxury Sed 6015
Roy Hopkins, Adrienne Hughes, Nancy Becker

15 47 BMW M5 Luxury Sed 5325
Chad Milliman, Mark Reuter, Rick Shopp

16 30 BMW M3 SSGT2 SB 5230
William Caswell, Margaret Caswell

19 18 CHEVY Z06 CORVETTE SSGT1 BB 5050
MARK RIFE, JIM HECK

20 70 Dodge Neon Econo Car 5015
Dale Seeley, Jamin Cummings, Dunnie Morgan

21 42 Audi S-4 Luxury Sed 4880
Norman Babcock, Michael Babcock

22 53 Subaru Praxis Systems MidPri Sed 4865
Andrew Firestone, Adam Firestone

23 5 Porsche 911 C2 SSGT1 BB 4860
Chuck Veth, Joe Muckle

24 63 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Vint Amer 4700
MICHAEL HICKMAN, Michael Zoner

25 15 Porsche 911 Vint For 4620
Glen Clarke, Louis Frlan III
Old 05-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, and the Vishnu car also beat all of them in the drag race event.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was LS1Tech no? This "Vishnu" stuff really belongs on the Evo forums, no offense my friend. No sense coming over here and trying to convince us LS1 guys that a car many of consider a little ricey is better than ours.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, and the Vishnu car also beat all of them in the drag race event.

Um...
- Your Honor, yes we did kind of lost, but not really, bla-bla-bla, and they were big guys, bla-bla-bla. And our driver sucked and our car is much cheaper, bla-bla-bla.. Or yeah, and the most important thing is the participation

Stop mumbling and wining - did EVO win the event?

NO.
Porsches, Viper and Vette got 4 first places. Period.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Quite sorry for that, wasn't trying to incite an argument. I however didn't start the thread either. I was just trying to set out some facts, talking about cars. Usually I just observe on this site. I just didn't want any falacies about my (current) favorite car to prevail.

I just felt like when something like this is said, it was time to comment on it.

Originally Posted by BlackBird24
To anyone who thinks that an STI (or EVO...GOD I hate the EVO) is a better car than any of the LS1's I offer this 3-step remedy:

1 - Drive an STI (or...ugh...EVO)

2 - Then drive ANY LS1

3 - Then tell me with a straight face you would actually buy an STI or EVO over the LS1.

I'd bet money you can't.
I can tell you I'd buy an EVO, I did!

Those sort of comments paint a bad light on a great car, and they are only founded on opinion. It'd be different if you said something like " there were X factory recalls for this car within the first X months." That's factual.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

I thought this was LS1Tech no? This "Vishnu" stuff really belongs on the Evo forums, no offense my friend. No sense coming over here and trying to convince us LS1 guys that a car many of consider a little ricey is better than ours.

admin please close
Old 05-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Iv_z28
Um...
- Your Honor, yes we did kind of lost, but not really, bla-bla-bla, and they were big guys, bla-bla-bla. And our driver sucked and our car is much cheaper, bla-bla-bla.. Or yeah, and the most important thing is the participation

Stop mumbling and wining - did EVO win the event?

NO.
Porsches, Viper and Vette got 4 first places. Period.

Yes, actually they did win their class.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Apparently you're not even aware of how "rice" is defined. A fast, factory AWD import that can challenge an Fbody in some aspects is not rice. A slower straight line car that outhandles an F-body is not necessarily inferior.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

And with that, I will let this one go. Sorry for the disruption. I don't want to ruffle feathers, this site usually has A LOT of really good info on it.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, actually they did win their class.
I would like to share another article that puts the Mazda Miata as number #1.

link to #1 Miata

But, I will not run out get one.

The EVO is putting down some pretty impressive numbers. But, so are the F-Bodies and Vettes. Yet, the F-Bodies and Vettes are pulling close to a 'g' and with some mods it seems they are ideal auto cross cars. Put some minor mods and they are very fast both in handling and performance. The as the frosting on the cake they look Awesome. Not like some grandma's car, although some of you guys like that, I just love the aggressive styling. But, read the article and then go get a Miata because they are outhandling your EVOs.

F-Bodies everywhere
Old 05-24-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a quick fact to add to this thread. F-bodys are in the same class as the EVO, STI, etc. in autocross and guess who usually wins. The F-bodies. I bought into all that bunk about how AWD probably handles better, blah, blah, blah... A buddy of mine is an avid autocrosser and showed me the facts. lol The F-bodies handle just as well if not better.

Quick Reply: I am sick of hearing Performance/Handling