Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter is chattering when trying to crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter is chattering when trying to crank

So i just finished building my first 2002 ls1 camaro. I try cranking it over and it chatters doesnt bother giving a normal start... I checked all my grounds and positives and still does the same thing. Took the starter to get check to see if the celiniod was bad and it ended passing. Any ideas what it can be
Old 10-02-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Either not enough juice or too much resistance.

Did you check the battery? A fully charged battery will read around 13-14 volts. A battery that reads closer to 12 volts is not fully charged.

Can you turn the engine over by hand? You might have something going on there. In that case, my next move would be to remove the spark plugs(removing all compression) and see if it will turn over then.

There is always the chance that the person that tested your starter didn't do it right. And an outside chance of:
Clutch stuck/not disengaging(if a stick, take the transmission out of gear)
Clutch/flexplate/converter(if auto) wasn't quite on right and got hung up when you tightened the bellhousing/transmission on resulting in effectively locking the motor up

How in-depth was your "build" and what mods were made?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
Either not enough juice or too much resistance.

Did you check the battery? A fully charged battery will read around 13-14 volts. A battery that reads closer to 12 volts is not fully charged.

Can you turn the engine over by hand? You might have something going on there. In that case, my next move would be to remove the spark plugs(removing all compression) and see if it will turn over then.

There is always the chance that the person that tested your starter didn't do it right. And an outside chance of:
Clutch stuck/not disengaging(if a stick, take the transmission out of gear)
Clutch/flexplate/converter(if auto) wasn't quite on right and got hung up when you tightened the bellhousing/transmission on resulting in effectively locking the motor up

How in-depth was your "build" and what mods were made?
I

Im able to turn the motor over by hand. I took the starter of and turned it over and still chatters while its of i checked all my positives but havent checked all my grounds
Old 10-02-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Well the starter grounds through the mounting to the motor, motor grounds to frame and/or battery, etc...so maybe grounding is your problem. If you have the starter off, ground the body of it real good to the battery if you can and see what happens. It doesn't cost you anything to buy a new starter at the parts store and try it..they'll take it back if that isn't it. May be worth trying it if you don't find anything promising with the grounds. Did you check to see how many volts you have at the battery?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Well the starter grounds through the mounting to the motor, motor grounds to frame and/or battery, etc...so maybe grounding is your problem. If you have the starter off, ground the body of it real good to the battery if you can and see what happens. It doesn't cost you anything to buy a new starter at the parts store and try it..they'll take it back if that isn't it. May be worth trying it if you don't find anything promising with the grounds. Did you check to see how many volts you have at the battery?
My copper ground isnt connected i.took it of thinking it wasnt going to do anything but i will connect that one back on a charge my battey Fully to.see what it does. Hopefully its a ground problem... And only modded parts i have is ls6 intank 241 heads 160 thermostat long tube headers and underdrive so idk if that will effect my car
Old 10-03-2014, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Underdrives can work your alt and battery. But it sounds like you have some wiring issues that you can fix. Think about it this way..you have a big red wire going to the starter..where is the big black wire back?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Teching In

Underdrives can work your alt and battery. But it sounds like you have some wiring issues that you can fix. Think about it this way..you have a big red wire going to the starter..where is the big black wire back?
Found out my problem was a ground problem. The big black wire was not connected to the block so it wasn't competing the full circuit due to that ground wire. But thanks for the help got it to turn over and start right up...Now to the tune shop next week see what numbers i hit
Old 10-03-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Great! Can't beat a cheap fix.

Quick Reply: starter is chattering when trying to crank